Bears meeting with Ratliff's people

adam

Not a surprise, but hearing Bears meeting w/Jay Ratliff's people here in Indy. Chi is also interested in bringing back K. Hayden.

https://twitter.com/mikecwright/status/436992648398647296

Ratliff signed for the veteran minimum in Week 8 and appeared in five games down the stretch, making four starts. He's expressed interest in returning with the team, and could be re-signed with the Bears lacking depth at defensive tackle. Chicago has also shown interest in bringing back free agent CB Kelvin Hayden.

I would really like to see Ratliff back. He will only get better.

Like the idea of resigning him. Perfect vet to run a hybrid front with

Agreed. Except at this point I don't think it means much. We never heard anything about us negotiating with Cutler, Jennings, Robbie, or Slauson.

When there is talks of negotiations, it generally means the two sides disagree. It doesn't mean we won't sign him. It just means he thinks there is a chance he can get a better offer.

Also mentioned was trying to sign Hayden. I like that idea. While we don't know how well he'll come back from the injury he is going to be 1) cheap 2) carry a vet contract discount against our cap 3) easy to cut if he doesn't outperform his competition. If he makes the roster it will likely be as backup and it won't hurt having his experience at both nickel and outside. We will bring in some young players to compete for this spot as well. Downside here is likely lack of special teams ability.

FWIW I also would like to see Bowman re-signed. Items 1 and 2 from above apply here as well plus I thought he played well filling in for Tillman. He's not great but as a backup player, or possible starter early in the year while a rookie learns the ropes, we could do worse. Has the advantage over Hayden on special teams, loses advantage on nickel position.

I'm expecting Frey to continue as our starting nickel.

Also mentioned was trying to sign Hayden. I like that idea. While we don't know how well he'll come back from the injury he is going to be 1) cheap 2) carry a vet contract discount against our cap 3) easy to cut if he doesn't outperform his competition. If he makes the roster it will likely be as backup and it won't hurt having his experience at both nickel and outside. We will bring in some young players to compete for this spot as well. Downside here is likely lack of special teams ability.

FWIW I also would like to see Bowman re-signed. Items 1 and 2 from above apply here as well plus I thought he played well filling in for Tillman. He's not great but as a backup player, or possible starter early in the year while a rookie learns the ropes, we could do worse. Has the advantage over Hayden on special teams, loses advantage on nickel position.

I'm expecting Frey to continue as our starting nickel.

Agreed with everything you said here. Sign both of these guys for cheap and go with a 2nd or 3rd round CB and they should be set with Jennings-Rookie-Frey-Bowman-Hayden. Bowman competes with the rook and Hayden competes with Frey.

Agreed with everything you said here. Sign both of these guys for cheap and go with a 2nd or 3rd round CB and they should be set with Jennings-Rookie-Frey-Bowman-Hayden. Bowman competes with the rook and Hayden competes with Frey.

Emery stated they want to get younger, so the thought of bringing back all the old guys doesnt seem genuine.I think he is keeping the lines open, with everybody so that is some of his plans fall thru he will have lanes open for some of them guys to come back. I dont buy the Hayden signing just think its a second option. Wooten, Melton are younger players, so them being more of a priority.

Emery stated they want to get younger, so the thought of bringing back all the old guys doesnt seem genuine.I think he is keeping the lines open, with everybody so that is some of his plans fall thru he will have lanes open for some of them guys to come back. I dont buy the Hayden signing just think its a second option. Wooten, Melton are younger players, so them being more of a priority.

The thing is, we can still sign a bunch of the old defensive players, keep Peppers, and still get younger on defense. All you have to do is 7 defensive players capable of making the team. We have so many fringe defensive players on this team. We let Zac Bowman go, he's so bad he gets cut from Minnesota, and with injuries he becomes a starting cornberback for us. Is Isaiah Frey any damn good? Don't even get me started with the d-line.

It would be a mistake to completely go with the youth movement. We saw how good inexpensive veterans like James Anderson and DJ Williams were compared to second and 4th round picks Bostic & Greene.

You want to have a combination of young and old so we are not in the position that our defense was in this past year.