Defensive team leader

Stinger226

I think our top priority this off season is to identify and add a couple of leader types on the defense. As much as I think letting Urlacher go was needed , we did miss his leadership. Him being here probably wouldnt have made much difference in our final record, but he would have put the young players in a better place to succeed. Briggs,IMO, isnt a team leader, he is a good player with a big mouth. When he came back from injury, he was out of shape and team leaders dont do that. Tillman and Peppers, lead by example, not inspiration to the people that needed guidance. Peanut was hurt almost all year, and Peppers has lost a step. He had many games he just didnt show up. We need to add a couple of players that can direct the ship into a better direction that our defense showed us last year. Usually team leaders on defense are LBers, so I think the possibility exists we might be targeting a MLB in early rounds. Mosley fits that bill, and maybe Borland, or Skov could succeed in that spot. We dont have a MLB on the roster at this time, so Mosley could be a surprise 1st round pick for us.

There are a few options in FAgency Beason-29 or a Butler-26, but more than likely D. J. Williams who didnt take that leadership role last year.

Daryl Smith is a possiblity but at 32 this year is unlikely.

With Shea competing with Bostic for MLB snaps and the Bears already stating they want DJ Williams back I doubt they go after those FA players. At least not at the start of FA. Maybe if DJ signs elsewhere.

If Mosley is the BPA when we pick I don't see us ruling that out. While SMC might find a home at MLB, I'd say he's most likely the SLB/pass rusher. Bostic is more or less slated to be Briggs replacement. That leaves an opening at MLB.

I really don't think it matters what position the leader plays. I'd take a DT to be our leader, DE, or even a Mike Brown type at S. Being Bears fans we're accustomed to great MLB so we lean that way naturally. I wouldn't mind to see that tradition get started again. I view fixing the D as a two year project so I prefer we absolutely grab the best players available this season and then fill the remaining holes next season (needs are everywhere). That may not yield the best possible defense this season but should give a better result 2-4 years down the road. In other words, if they have Mosley rated that high I don't care that we spent two picks on LB last year and now have SMC competing there as well.

How bout this guy???

"I can tell you that since the coaches have started to get involved in the evaluation process, this kid's slowly risen." -- Mike Mayock

"Blank was one of the true veteran leaders"

"Blank is an aggression setter"

"Vocal leader that moves teammates to their correct spots."

"his production, onfield attitude and instincts for the ball make him a potential mid-round pick and gives him a chance to eventually earn a starting job at the next level."

If its Bostic? way to many things to learn to become a team leader his first year. Urlacher didnt assume that role for a few years.

That it is, and you're right, it's hard for a rookie to come in and take command in year 1. Bostic could develop into that guy in year 2.

Why would it be different if they draft Mosely, whom you've touted quite a bit,

Just give me the most talented player in the draft, if they're considered a "leader" well I guess that's a plus.

That it is, and you're right, it's hard for a rookie to come in and take command in year 1. Bostic could develop into that guy in year 2.

Why would it be different if they draft Mosely, whom you've touted quite a bit,

Just give me the most talented player in the draft, if they're considered a "leader" well I guess that's a plus.

Its not if we draft Mosely, but he may be better at handling the Pros than Bostic was, hard to say, but he is the top rated MLB, if we choose to go that way.Every player has different paths to follow,but I think we need some leadership on our defense whether you think it matters or not.

Its not if we draft Mosely, but he may be better at handling the Pros than Bostic was, hard to say, but he is the top rated MLB, if we choose to go that way.Every player has different paths to follow,but I think we need some leadership on our defense whether you think it matters or not.

Nothing wrong with Mosely, but I see the Bears going Dline. Everything I see out of Donald so far shows he has leadership quality, team captain 2012 and 2013 seasons. His relentless play is inspiring, and here's what his coach says about him:

""I think he’s a tremendous example to our young guys about how to approach it and how that translates in the game," Chryst said. "He’s vocal at certain times, but he’s not giving speeches because I don’t think that’s what inspires him. But he’s certainly aware of how he can help the team.”

Chryst also credits Donald for being a leader on and off the field.

“Donald is a good leader. Leadership comes from within your personality. There’s no better way than to have his actions speak," Chryst said. "Not just with his play, and he is playing at a really high level, but also with his preparation, the way he competes in practice, the way he goes about things every day.""