DL Combine Notes

scs787

Walterfootball just released the combine measurements for the DL prospects so I figured I'd highlight some of the guys we've talked about.

Jadaveon Clowney- 6-5 266 34 1/2 inch arms- I put him up there as sort of a measuring stick.

Kony Ealy- 6-4 273 34 1/4- Pretty much right there with Clowney

Kareem Martin- 6-6 272 35- The knock on this guy is his speed, he's projected to run a 4.9 while Ealy is expected to be in the 4.7 range. If he beats those projections he could work his way into 1st round consideration

Dee Ford- 6-2 252 32 7/8- Short with short arms, further adding to my thought that he's not a 4-3 DE and the Bears won't draft him.

Jackson Jeffcoat- 6-3 247 33 7/8- Really thin for a DE, projected to run in the high 4.7s, probably needs to put on 20 pounds if he wants to stay at DE which probably ups his 40 into the 4.8s.

Trent Murphy- 6-5 250 33 7/8- Actually worked out with the LBs, at his weight that's probably where he's best suited anyway.

Scott Crichton- 6-3 273 32 3/4- Added him since stinger just brought him up in another thread...Shorter than ideal arms...not a fan.

Unless Martin comes out and runs in at least the low 4.8s I don't think there's another guy who can be on Ealys level...If the Bears need a DE I really hope Ealy is there.

DTs

Timmy Jernigan- 6-2 299 31 5/8- Seems like everyone here is split between him and Donald here.

Aaron Donald- 6-1 285 32 5/8- A lot of people tab him as too small, but he's just an inch shorter and his arms are an inch longer than Timmy. I'd rather have the guy with the longer arms.

Ra'shede Hageman 6-6 310 34 1/4- Thought his arms would be a bit longer. Intriguing length, wouldn't hate the pick but his inconsistency in college worries me a bit.

Stephon Tuit- 6-5 304 34 1/2- See above

Only went with the guys we've talked about a lot here....here's the whole list http://walterfootball.com/combine2014DL.php

Monday is when the DL runs their 40 times and such, would be nice to keep it all in this thread.

Walterfootball just released the combine measurements for the DL prospects so I figured I'd highlight some of the guys we've talked about.

Jadaveon Clowney- 6-5 266 34 1/2 inch arms- I put him up there as sort of a measuring stick.

Kony Ealy- 6-4 273 34 1/4- Pretty much right there with Clowney

Kareem Martin- 6-6 272 35- The knock on this guy is his speed, he's projected to run a 4.9 while Ealy is expected to be in the 4.7 range. If he beats those projections he could work his way into 1st round consideration

Dee Ford- 6-2 252 32 7/8- Short with short arms, further adding to my thought that he's not a 4-3 DE and the Bears won't draft him.

Jackson Jeffcoat- 6-3 247 33 7/8- Really thin for a DE, projected to run in the high 4.7s, probably needs to put on 20 pounds if he wants to stay at DE which probably ups his 40 into the 4.8s.

Trent Murphy- 6-5 250 33 7/8- Actually worked out with the LBs, at his weight that's probably where he's best suited anyway.

Scott Crichton- 6-3 273 32 3/4- Added him since stinger just brought him up in another thread...Shorter than ideal arms...not a fan.

Unless Martin comes out and runs in at least the low 4.8s I don't think there's another guy who can be on Ealys level...If the Bears need a DE I really hope Ealy is there.

DTs

Timmy Jernigan- 6-2 299 31 5/8- Seems like everyone here is split between him and Donald here.

Aaron Donald- 6-1 285 32 5/8- A lot of people tab him as too small, but he's just an inch shorter and his arms are an inch longer than Timmy. I'd rather have the guy with the longer arms.

Ra'shede Hageman 6-6 310 34 1/4- Thought his arms would be a bit longer. Intriguing length, wouldn't hate the pick but his inconsistency in college worries me a bit.

Stephon Tuit- 6-5 304 34 1/2- See above

Only went with the guys we've talked about a lot here....here's the whole list http://walterfootball.com/combine2014DL.php

Monday is when the DL runs their 40 times and such, would be nice to keep it all in this thread.

Anyone remember what Warren Sapp measured out at and tested out at the Combine? The reason Im asking is to compare to Donald

I can't find his official measurements, but one article said he was 302 his rookie year so it's probably around there.

Donald gets compared to Geno Atkins a lot....Atkins was 6'1" 293 with 32 inch arms. So Donald is 8 pounds lighter and his arms are 5/8 of an inch longer.

Kyle Williams is another 6'1" pro bowler who had 32 inch arms. He was 299.

So he's a little thinner than those guys but not by much.

I had been comparing him to Dorsey in the past but just found out dude had 35 inch arms at 6'1"

I can't find his official measurements, but one article said he was 302 his rookie year so it's probably around there.

Donald gets compared to Geno Atkins a lot....Atkins was 6'1" 293 with 32 inch arms. So Donald is 8 pounds lighter and his arms are 5/8 of an inch longer.

Kyle Williams is another 6'1" pro bowler who had 32 inch arms. He was 299.

So he's a little thinner than those guys but not by much.

I had been comparing him to Dorsey in the past but just found out dude had 35 inch arms at 6'1"

He may not be as good at point of attack as those two, but got a feeling he will be a better pass rusher.

He may not be as good at point of attack as those two, but got a feeling he will be a better pass rusher.

That would be impressive considering Williams was just .5 sacks behind Jason Hatcher for the most sacks by a DT this year and last year Atkins was 6th in the whole league in sacks (Not just DTs, he had the most among DTs).

Not a combine DL thing, but seen where Archer/RB/Kent State run a 4.26 40 time

Im thinking Trestman could find ways to use him in his offense, maybe a 4th rounder? At least take Hester's place on KR

Been saying we need to add a speed guy out of the backfield. Mentioned D'Anthony Thomas as one target for the late rounds. Archer is likely going higher that a 4th Rd. DAT only ran a 4.5 forty which will only make him fall to the late rounds but I've seen him too many times blow past people and know he's faster than that. However it shakes out would love to see us add some serious speed to our offense.

I don't think Archer goes higher than the 4th, I've never even heard of him before today (CBS doesn't even have him listed).....Last year Onterio McCaleb posted the highest 40 time, albeit a bit slower than Archer at 4.34, and he wasn't even drafted.

Don't hate the idea of a RB though.

Back to the DL....

Donald had the 2nd most bench reps among all DLmen with 35, some scrub had 36. Jernigan had 27. So Jernigan is just an inch taller than Donald, but Donald has longer arms and is stronger.

Ealy had 1 more rep than Clowney but both were "underwhelming" with 21 and 22 respectively. Last year the average was 24 for DLmen.

Kareem Martin also had 22 reps.

Critchton had 24.

Michael Sam had as many reps as Jay Cutler had, 17.

Jeffcoat had just 1 more than Sam

Murphy had 1 more than Jeffcoat.

Hageman had 32 which is impressive with those long arms.

Dee Ford, who claims he's better than Clowney, didn't participate.

I don't think Archer goes higher than the 4th, I've never even heard of him before today (CBS doesn't even have him listed).....Last year Onterio McCaleb posted the highest 40 time, albeit a bit slower than Archer at 4.34, and he wasn't even drafted.

Don't hate the idea of a RB though.

Back to the DL....

Donald had the 2nd most bench reps among all DLmen with 35, some scrub had 36. Jernigan had 27. So Jernigan is just an inch taller than Donald, but Donald has longer arms and is stronger.

Ealy had 1 more rep than Clowney but both were "underwhelming" with 21 and 22 respectively. Last year the average was 24 for DLmen.

Kareem Martin also had 22 reps.

Critchton had 24.

Michael Sam had as many reps as Jay Cutler had, 17.

Jeffcoat had just 1 more than Sam

Murphy had 1 more than Jeffcoat.

Hageman had 32 which is impressive with those long arms.

Dee Ford, who claims he's better than Clowney, didn't participate.

One thing we know for sure is Emery likes athletic players, so that puts Donald in the front along with Hageman.

I don't think Archer goes higher than the 4th, I've never even heard of him before today (CBS doesn't even have him listed).....Last year Onterio McCaleb posted the highest 40 time, albeit a bit slower than Archer at 4.34, and he wasn't even drafted. Don't hate the idea of a RB though. Back to the DL.... Donald had the 2nd most bench reps among all DLmen with 35, some scrub had 36. Jernigan had 27. So Jernigan is just an inch taller than Donald, but Donald has longer arms and is stronger. Ealy had 1 more rep than Clowney but both were "underwhelming" with 21 and 22 respectively. Last year the average was 24 for DLmen. Kareem Martin also had 22 reps. Critchton had 24. Michael Sam had as many reps as Jay Cutler had, 17. Jeffcoat had just 1 more than Sam Murphy had 1 more than Jeffcoat. Hageman had 32 which is impressive with those long arms. Dee Ford, who claims he's better than Clowney, didn't participate.

You are starting to steer me back towards wanting Donald. The one certain thing we know is the Bears will run a one gap front and the smaller quicker DT's are better fits, even though Emery has mentioned wanting bigger players. I think Donald brings leadership and a nonstop effort, not sure about Ealy, his media spotlight has been quite. So, ....I'm back to Ealy and Donald as my Rd 1 choices.

Walterfootball just released the combine measurements for the DL prospects so I figured I'd highlight some of the guys we've talked about. Jadaveon Clowney- 6-5 266 34 1/2 inch arms- I put him up there as sort of a measuring stick. Kony Ealy- 6-4 273 34 1/4- Pretty much right there with Clowney Kareem Martin- 6-6 272 35- The knock on this guy is his speed, he's projected to run a 4.9 while Ealy is expected to be in the 4.7 range. If he beats those projections he could work his way into 1st round consideration Dee Ford- 6-2 252 32 7/8- Short with short arms, further adding to my thought that he's not a 4-3 DE and the Bears won't draft him. Jackson Jeffcoat- 6-3 247 33 7/8- Really thin for a DE, projected to run in the high 4.7s, probably needs to put on 20 pounds if he wants to stay at DE which probably ups his 40 into the 4.8s. Trent Murphy- 6-5 250 33 7/8- Actually worked out with the LBs, at his weight that's probably where he's best suited anyway. Scott Crichton- 6-3 273 32 3/4- Added him since stinger just brought him up in another thread...Shorter than ideal arms...not a fan. Unless Martin comes out and runs in at least the low 4.8s I don't think there's another guy who can be on Ealys level...If the Bears need a DE I really hope Ealy is there. DTs Timmy Jernigan- 6-2 299 31 5/8- Seems like everyone here is split between him and Donald here. Aaron Donald- 6-1 285 32 5/8- A lot of people tab him as too small, but he's just an inch shorter and his arms are an inch longer than Timmy. I'd rather have the guy with the longer arms. Ra'shede Hageman 6-6 310 34 1/4- Thought his arms would be a bit longer. Intriguing length, wouldn't hate the pick but his inconsistency in college worries me a bit. Stephon Tuit- 6-5 304 34 1/2- See above Only went with the guys we've talked about a lot here....here's the whole list http://walterfootball.com/combine2014DL.php Monday is when the DL runs their 40 times and such, would be nice to keep it all in this thread.

Kareem Martin DE helped himself out a lot.

Clowney: 6'-5" 266 - - 4.47 40 time -- 1.56 10 yd - - 21 bench - - 34-1/2" arm

Martin:6'-6" 272 - - 4.68 40 time - - 1.53 10 yd - - 22 bench - -35" arm

Ealy: 6'-4" 273 - - 4.84 40 time - - 1.66 10 yd - - 22 bench - - 34-1/4" arm

-----

Donald 6'-1" 285 - - 4.65 40 time - - 1.59 10 yd - - 35 bench - -32-5/8" arm

Donald continues to look freakish.

Just for comparison here, Clowney ran a 4.47, his 10 yard split was 1.56...Donald ran a 4.65 but his 10 yard split was a 1.59. So for his first 10 yards Donald was just .03 slower than Clowney. The 4.65 is tied for 6th among DLmen with everyone ahead of him being DEs.

Jernigan ran a 4.93 with a 1.72 10 yard split.

Ealy a 4.83/1.66 split, which is real disappointing.

Jeffcoat ran a 4.60/160 which is impressive but he's undersized and weak, wouldn't reach for him in the 1st

Kareem Martin ran a 4.68/1.53 so he's looked REALLY impressive.. Quicker 10 yard split than Clowney

Marcus Smith ran a 4.63/1.57, and he played for the new coach from Clint Hurtt.

Donald continues to look freakish. Just for comparison here, Clowney ran a 4.47, his 10 yard split was 1.56...Donald ran a 4.65 but his 10 yard split was a 1.59. So for his first 10 yards Donald was just .03 slower than Clowney. The 4.65 is tied for 6th among DLmen with everyone ahead of him being DEs. Jernigan ran a 4.93 with a 1.72 10 yard split. Ealy a 4.83/1.66 split, which is real disappointing. Jeffcoat ran a 4.60/160 which is impressive but he's undersized and weak, wouldn't reach for him in the 1st Kareem Martin ran a 4.68/1.53 so he's looked REALLY impressive.. Quicker 10 yard split than Clowney Marcus Smith ran a 4.63/1.57, and he played for the new coach from Clint Hurtt.

I think if we can get Donald RD 1, Martin/Smith RD 2, and the best S RD3 (hopefully Ward) we will be in great shape on the rebuild.

Donald continues to look freakish.

Just for comparison here, Clowney ran a 4.47, his 10 yard split was 1.56...Donald ran a 4.65 but his 10 yard split was a 1.59. So for his first 10 yards Donald was just .03 slower than Clowney. The 4.65 is tied for 6th among DLmen with everyone ahead of him being DEs.

Jernigan ran a 4.93 with a 1.72 10 yard split.

Ealy a 4.83/1.66 split, which is real disappointing.

Jeffcoat ran a 4.60/160 which is impressive but he's undersized and weak, wouldn't reach for him in the 1st

Kareem Martin ran a 4.68/1.53 so he's looked REALLY impressive.. Quicker 10 yard split than Clowney

Marcus Smith ran a 4.63/1.57, and he played for the new coach from Clint Hurtt.

With DE I like the 40 but the quickness is more important. I was hoping Ealy was quicker. Martin's numbers got my attention. Donald's times are impressive for sure.

Clowney's numbers are just stupid.... 4.47 are you kidding me!!!

Ya beat me to it ASHKUM.

But ya Martin helped himself a lot, he was expected to run in the 4.9s so I wasn't a fan, but after running that 4.78/1.53 I really like him. I kinda discarded him after seeing that projected 4.9 number so I'm gonna have to do a little more research on him to see why he's not viewed as an early pick.

Back to Donald though, my goodness....I love Melton, but at this point I hope we pass and Donald is there cuz the dudes a beast. Spend Meltons money on a DE.

I think if we can get Donald RD 1, Martin/Smith RD 2, and the best S RD3 (hopefully Ward) we will be in great shape on the rebuild.

That sounds fantastic, I think that's where I'm at right now too.

Clowney's 40 was officially 4.53....which is surprisingly only 6th among DEs in the last 10 years....Wonder who the top 5 are.

That sounds fantastic, I think that's where I'm at right now too.

Clowney's 40 was officially 4.53....which is surprisingly only 6th among DEs in the last 10 years....Wonder who the top 5 are.

With Emery saying the thing about Length, I wonder if that would jump some of the taller guys up the draft board.

Ealy and Martin are tall guys.

With Emery saying the thing about Length, I wonder if that would jump some of the taller guys up the draft board.

Ealy and Martin are tall guys.

Ya, Ealy, even with the underwhelming performance here already has to be up pretty high on the draft board, and I'd say Martin shot up at least a little bit....

Warren Sapp on the most impressive DL....Donald and Jernigan, if you a 3 technique then Jernigan is your NT(1 technique), if you already have your 1 technique then Donald is your guy......That's pretty much what I've been saying all along, and what I saw on tape. Jernigan is more of a run stuffer while Donald is the QB disputer...

Sapp loves Donald.

All the announcers called Donald the most impressive guy....Calling him "Best in show", all things considered better than Clowney.

Donald also has a higher vertical (32in vs 29) and broad jump (9 foot 8in vs 8-6).....Dudes a freak.

We were talking about how he MIGHT be available in the 2nd, then we were talking about how we should trade down for him, but at this point I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he's not even there at 14.

His highlight tape isn't a mirage, he's backed it up today.

Donald also has a higher vertical (32in vs 29) and broad jump (9 foot 8in vs 8-6).....Dudes a freak. We were talking about how he MIGHT be available in the 2nd, then we were talking about how we should trade down for him, but at this point I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he's not even there at 14. His highlight tape isn't a mirage, he's backed it up today.

Atkins: 6'-2" 293

40 times: 4.72 -- 4.75 -- 4.88

10yd dash: 1.68

20yd dash: 2.64

40yd dash: 4.75

225: 34

Broad: 9'09"

Vert: 33

20yd shuttle: 4.43

3 cone: 7.33

Donald: 6"-1" 285

40 times: 4.62 -- 4.68-- 4.79