DL Combine Notes

scs787

Ya beat me to it ASHKUM.

But ya Martin helped himself a lot, he was expected to run in the 4.9s so I wasn't a fan, but after running that 4.78/1.53 I really like him. I kinda discarded him after seeing that projected 4.9 number so I'm gonna have to do a little more research on him to see why he's not viewed as an early pick.

Back to Donald though, my goodness....I love Melton, but at this point I hope we pass and Donald is there cuz the dudes a beast. Spend Meltons money on a DE.

Martin is not only fast had 82 tackles-21.5 TFL-12.5 sacks, very similar in numbers to Clownery

Ealy killed the 3 cone, which is great for that position.

Ya he destroyed the field in the 3 cone drill, which is an underrated drill, at least among fans. He ran it at 6.83, next best was some guy named Cassius Marsh at 7.08....Right behind him, surprising no one at this point...Aaron Donald at 7.11. Jernigan sadly didn't participate for whatever reason.

I agree … if we want a run stuffer go with Jernigan. If we want pressure up the middle go with Donald. In many ways Donald reminds of Dwight Freeney. Undersized and everyone kind of said great athlete but too small to be successful, then he just blew away the combine. Then he went after NFL QBs relentlessly.

I saw some comment that Jernigan was often the last man off the snap so no shocker to see his 10yd split. Yet he's a beast to move out of the way even when he's double teamed and there's a lot to be said for having a guy like that in the middle. I went back and watched some highlights of Donald. He's a beast even when double teamed (see plays against Miami that almost went for a safety). It is almost comical to see what happens when teams pull the OG in front of Donald.

http://walterfootball.com/combinerumors.php

Chicago Bears:

I gushed over Aaron Donald's performance at the Senior Bowl and have been told to expect much of the same during his combine workout on Monday. Donald, a 500+ pound bench presser, is expected to total in the mid 30's on the bench then run his forty somewhere in the 4.7's after tipping the scales in the low 290-pound area. I'm told Donald will also put up some pretty spectacular times in the agility drills. Where could Donald end up in May? After the combine we said teams late in the first round would have to start giving the Pittsburgh lineman consideration but recent rumblings have the Chicago Bears very interested in his services with the 14th pick of round one.

If he ever learns how to play DE we could have a pretty good one in Washington.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-dra...ays-from-monday

The best time this century for a defensive end at the combine came in 2002 when UAB's Bryan Thomas, at 6-4, 266, was clocked in 4.47 and was the 22nd overall pick (New York Jets).

Clowney's 10-yard split was 1.56 seconds.

Three others had a 4.53 -- Lawrence Sidbury Jr. (6-3, 226, Richmond, fourth round, 125th overall to Atlanta); and two in 2013 -- Margus Hunt (6-8, 277, SMU, second round, 53rd overall to Cincinnati), and Cornelius Washington (6-4, 265, Georgia, sixth round, 188th overall, Chicago).

http://walterfootball.com/combinerumors.php

Chicago Bears:

I gushed over Aaron Donald's performance at the Senior Bowl and have been told to expect much of the same during his combine workout on Monday. Donald, a 500+ pound bench presser, is expected to total in the mid 30's on the bench then run his forty somewhere in the 4.7's after tipping the scales in the low 290-pound area. I'm told Donald will also put up some pretty spectacular times in the agility drills. Where could Donald end up in May? After the combine we said teams late in the first round would have to start giving the Pittsburgh lineman consideration but recent rumblings have the Chicago Bears very interested in his services with the 14th pick of round one.

That's what I like to hear. Spend Meltons money on a DE.

Im wondering if Donald increased his stock to top 10 now.

Word is he really impressed at the Senior Bowl and now he put on a show at the combine.

I haven't looked to see if anyone draft before the Bears need a DT

I wonder that myself.

According to this article ( http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000028...or-all-32-teams ) The Bears are the first team with DT needs. Though the article notes that St. Louis might target another pass rusher, which would be scary as hell with Long and Quinn on the edges. I think they grab a WR though.

So unless a team views him as a can't miss type guy like Clowney then he should fall to us.

Even after his "great" combine WF has Kareem Martin going in the 4th...I don't get it, what am I missing here with him...I know the draft is supposed to be one of the deepest in years but still, if the Bears got him in the 3rd that'd be phenomenal.

What your missing is most mock drafts are not accurate, just something to play with waiting for football to happen.Because of the combine he probably moved up one round. I suspect a 2nd or third.

That's what I like to hear. Spend Meltons money on a DE.

I'm good with that, but who are you wanting? We are 13 days away from free agency and there's really been nobody we've been rumored to be interested in signing. It's assumed Greg Hardy will get the tag. As for the rest, aside from being younger, I don't know how much of an upgrade they are over Julius Peppers. There's a whole lot of "meh" available.

Not to mention, with the rising cap, more teams are going to have more money to spend. In short, teams will overspend for guys who aren't worth it.

I'm good with that, but who are you wanting? We are 13 days away from free agency and there's really been nobody we've been rumored to be interested in signing. It's assumed Greg Hardy will get the tag. As for the rest, aside from being younger, I don't know how much of an upgrade they are over Julius Peppers. There's a whole lot of "meh" available.

Not to mention, with the rising cap, more teams are going to have more money to spend. In short, teams will overspend for guys who aren't worth it.

The more I really think about it, and the bigger the league salary cap gets, the more I think the Bears will have the money for Michael Bennett.

Bring back Wootton and Ratliff, then either sign an under the radar guy like Matt Shaughnessy or spend a mid round pick on another DE to compete with Wootton and the DL could be looking really solid

Bennett-Donald-Paea/Ratliff-Wootton/Shaughnessy/Rook.

I'm good with either Donald or Jernigan in Rd 1. I think we will have at least one of them there, if not both, when we pick. Different style players but the positives with either are something we can build around. I consider Jernigan more of a NT in the way Ratliff was in his prime.

Regarding Michael Bennett: If the cap savings we get from cutting Peppers (assuming we cut him) only net us enough to pay Michael Bennett then we need to go another direction with that money. I'd rather get two or three good FAs versus just one very good one, and rely on the draft to bring in the very good talent. Bennett is a not elite enough to get that much money and having just won a Superbowl usually entices some team to overpay. I hope it isn't us.

I'm good with either Donald or Jernigan in Rd 1. I think we will have at least one of them there, if not both, when we pick. Different style players but the positives with either are something we can build around. I consider Jernigan more of a NT in the way Ratliff was in his prime.

Regarding Michael Bennett: If the cap savings we get from cutting Peppers (assuming we cut him) only net us enough to pay Michael Bennett then we need to go another direction with that money. I'd rather get two or three good FAs versus just one very good one, and rely on the draft to bring in the very good talent. Bennett is a not elite enough to get that much money and having just won a Superbowl usually entices some team to overpay. I hope it isn't us.

I guess that's one way to look at it. But right now if they make all the cuts we've been talking about here (Pep, Bush, Weems, Earl, and Podlesh) they'd have at least 26M in cap space. That's before knowing what the league cap will be, before dipping into any of Cutler/Jennings/Slaussons contracts, and before potentially extending Marshall.

That tells me they'll have money to sign Bennett (back load it a bit, I'm thinking 6-8M in cap space year 1), and still bring in a few good FAs, esp if they can work out some deals like they did with Martellus and Bushrod last year where they accounted for 5M in cap space combined. Hypothetically lets say they get 2 good starters at 5M again and give Bennett 8M, that's only half the cap space.