Chris Williams

scs787

So I was checking out the depth chart and stumbled upon WR Chris Williams...I thought to myself who???

Found out he signed back on December 26th, went back in the archives and found that we barely even talked about this kids signing....Here's the thread http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9681 .... He basically got lost in the shuffle here.

What I saw when I looked him up pleased me. Dude ran a 4.28 with a 1.44 10 yard split. Dri Archer, a guy who was brought up here ran a 4.26 with a 1.46 10 yard split, so this cat is a bit more explosive.

He never caught on in the NFL, so he went to Canada and all he did there was have 6 returns for touchdowns, a CFL record.

Could this guy be our next "Canadian sensation"(not canadian, but you know what I mean) and replace Hester as our return man?

So I was checking out the depth chart and stumbled upon WR Chris Williams...I thought to myself who???

Found out he signed back on December 26th, went back in the archives and found that we barely even talked about this kids signing....Here's the thread http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9681 .... He basically got lost in the shuffle here.

What I saw when I looked him up pleased me. Dude ran a 4.28 with a 1.44 10 yard split. Dri Archer, a guy who was brought up here ran a 4.26 with a 1.46 10 yard split, so this cat is a bit more explosive.

He never caught on in the NFL, so he went to Canada and all he did there was have 6 returns for touchdowns, a CFL record.

Could this guy be our next "Canadian sensation"(not canadian, but you know what I mean) and replace Hester as our return man?

I remember seeing this. I don't think Hester will be back and this guy could be his replacement.

Peace :dabears

Meh. No clue. I just know that success in the Canadian league doesn't necessarily translate. And as to returns, isn't the field up there wider? 6 returns for TD there might convert to none here. Not sure. But if they think he's got what it takes, I'm all for replacing Hester with a new, young burner.

It appears he has exactly what I would like to see us add to our offense and can do the special teams returner role as well. I hope he's in the weight room because he needs to get a lot stronger for the NFL. Despite that he did make a few contested catches in the highlight video. At a minimum it shows the Bears are looking to add a speed element to the offense.

I wouldn't mind giving a tryout to the defender who ran him over at the goal line when he was running backwards. I've always liked guys who a) don't quit on plays and B) make arrogant showoffs pay for their stunts. :)

It appears he has exactly what I would like to see us add to our offense and can do the special teams returner role as well. I hope he's in the weight room because he needs to get a lot stronger for the NFL. Despite that he did make a few contested catches in the highlight video. At a minimum it shows the Bears are looking to add a speed element to the offense.

I wouldn't mind giving a tryout to the defender who ran him over at the goal line when he was running backwards. I've always liked guys who a) don't quit on plays and B) make arrogant showoffs pay for their stunts. :)

Thanks for the video. I like him. Has the same instincts as Hester. Not quite as sudden, but stays on his feet better after contact.

Cool, we may be able to be in a good place yet.

I did some digging on this one. He didn't play in 2013 due to a contract dispute. Essentially he wanted to play in the NFL. After a court battle he won his freedom and signed with the Saints in Oct. He wasn't expected to play at all in 2013 because he hadn't been working out and was not in shape. They put him on their practice squad. Emery jumped in during the last week of the season and offered him a contract for our active roster. Thus he put the Saints in a bind where they had to promote him to their active roster, and thus keep him on the active roster for the playoffs, or let him go.

Emery basically stole him from the Saints. George Halas had to smile at that move. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Williams_(wide_receiver)

I did some digging on this one. He didn't play in 2013 due to a contract dispute. Essentially he wanted to play in the NFL. After a court battle he won his freedom and signed with the Saints in Oct. He wasn't expected to play at all in 2013 because he hadn't been working out and was not in shape. They put him on their practice squad. Emery jumped in during the last week of the season and offered him a contract for our active roster. Thus he put the Saints in a bind where they had to promote him to their active roster, and thus keep him on the active roster for the playoffs, or let him go.

Emery basically stole him from the Saints. George Halas had to smile at that move. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Williams_(wide_receiver)

Classic move by Emery, and the type of thing that's about two levels beyond ol' Jerry Angelo. The most creative move Angelo ever made that wasn't directly financial was his Tait signing.