Bears Fact or Fiction

jason

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...trade-14th-pick

Fact

Fact

Fact

Fiction

What say you?

I think the possiblity exists but with a deeper draft, teams wont be paying so much to move up.

I think Melton does come back on a incentive laden contract. We need the depth and his potential

We will be bringing in a QB prospect because I dont think Josh takes the money we offer.

I think McCellin is a better LB than DE but wont be playing much. Will be cut after this year.

Fact

Fact

Fact

Fiction

What say you?

I agree, I hope #1 is a fact since the draft is fairly deep, we need more than one impact player and we can pick up an extra pick or two moving down only a couple of positions.

For #2, I hate this one as I love Peanut, but it is reality. Emery does not spend for aging veterans. Someone is willing to overpay for someone like Peanut.

For #3, I think it is time to draft a legit prospect this year. If McCown is going to cost more than we can afford, I could see someone like McCarron in the middle rounds. We could even use the pick we picked up if we traded down in the 1st.

#4 is fiction, but I hope for our sake it is a fact. If he was a first round caliber athlete, there has to be some place where he can at least play a the NFL level.

1. I'm torn here. If they don't bring back Melton I REALLY want Donald, and I don't think he gets past the Cowboys(pick 16 I believe) if they don't take him at 14. I think he can make the biggest impact for this Bears team.

2. I'm torn here as well since I really lone Donald.

3. 5th or 6th round I'd say, a lot of talented QBs in the draft....I guess you can say I'm torn here as well since 5-6 is fringe mid and late round picks.

4. I think he'll be better but maybe not much better. Scouting reports said he was fluid enough in coverage, and speed should be fine. I think he'll be more than competent.

Took the "political" way out on all of em lol

Fact

Fact

Fact

Fiction

What say you?

1. Depends: I know that's a cop-out answer but it's true. Who's available? How far we moving? We need to find an immediate defensive starter. There is no time for red-shirt seasons.

2. Fact: I say Melton only because we want to get younger and if healthy, Melton could be a long term solution.

3. Fiction: We demonstrated last year we prefer to carry 2 QB's. Sign a veteran on the cheap. Don't waste a pick on a guy who won't see the field for 3 years.

4. Fact: McClellen looks fast and athletic in open space. He's made to play linebacker. He will still having trouble shedding blocks, but so did Urlacher.

I tend to agree with your logic on these...

Fiction - I hate trade downs, I want quality over quantity

Fiction - I think both are highly unlikely

Fiction - Cutler's here for at least 3 years, no reason to waste a mid round pick on a QB

Fiction - I'll believe it when I see it

Fiction - I hate trade downs, I want quality over quantity

Fiction - I think both are highly unlikely

Fiction - Cutler's here for at least 3 years, no reason to waste a mid round pick on a QB

Fiction - I'll believe it when I see it

Yep. Can't say we agree often but I'm with you 100% on these comments.

With that said, I think the question could be: Will the Bears trade down in the first? And there I think there's a possibility. At least I wouldn't be surprised if they move down. I'd expect them to stay in the first and get a 2nd or 3rd for doing so. If they move back and one of the guys I really want is on the board, I'll be pissed.

1) Listen up Jerry Angelo: Nobody can ever state they should or will trade down. We have no idea of the value proposition that will be presented to us. This draft class presents us with an unusual opportunity in that at #14 we can possibly get a blue chip player that would normally be gone in the top 10 picks. I will say this, let's assume Jerry Jones is in love with Donald and thinks we'll be taking him. IF we have Donald, Nix, and Jernigan rated very similarly I'd probably make the trade. I've seen all 3 listed as the first DT taken and although they are each different in their style of play all three project to have very good careers. IF all three are on the board when we're on the clock and Dallas calls I would listen carefully to what Jerry is willing to offer.

That's a lot of "ifs". Right now Donald is at the top of my wish list because I think he'll provide the most negative plays among the 3 DTs. Negative plays are what gives you the best chance of getting off the field on 3rd down. If we're asked to drop way back into the 20s then I'm asking for a ton in return because IMO we can't miss on the top DTs.

2) Melton's return is more likely. That just comes down to money and age. Melton is also more likley to accept a 1yr prove it deal so he can get back into the big $$ sooner. Tillman knows this is his last chance at any significant guaranteed $$.

3) Draft a QB in the middle rounds. I prefer to grab our backup via FA, McCown or someone else. If that does not happen then we may be forced to do something sooner but I'd say 4th Rd or later. 3rd is too high given the needs we have.

4) SMC will be a much better LB than DE. Fact but the bar is low.

In reference to question number 3.

Bears have tried out 2 late round QBs, Tajh Boyd and Jordan Lynch. Both guys are "scrambling" QBs, so perhaps we can rehash the read option comments Marc made before.

Tajh is a real interesting prospect, was thought to be a first round talent coming into the senior season. Now, for whatever reason, is graded as a 7th round pick by CBS. All he did was improve his completion% from 67.2 to 68.5, his yards avg from 9.1 to 9.3, his passer rating from 165.6 to 168.7, and he threw 2 less ints.

Yes there is "questions" about his height (he's 6'1") but it's not like he shrunk from when he was thought to be a first rounder till now.

I'd love to draft him in the 5th or 6th, which I believe is more realistic than 7-UDFA.

In reference to question number 3. Bears have tried out 2 late round QBs, Tajh Boyd and Jordan Lynch. Both guys are "scrambling" QBs, so perhaps we can rehash the read option comments Marc made before. Tajh is a real interesting prospect, was thought to be a first round talent coming into the senior season. Now, for whatever reason, is graded as a 7th round pick by CBS. All he did was improve his completion% from 67.2 to 68.5, his yards avg from 9.1 to 9.3, his passer rating from 165.6 to 168.7, and he threw 2 less ints. Yes there is "questions" about his height (he's 6'1") but it's not like he shrunk from when he was thought to be a first rounder till now. I'd love to draft him in the 5th or 6th, which I believe is more realistic than 7-UDFA.

I like Tajh Boyd also, he was one of the first players we worked out at the senior bowl.

Since you noted Tajh and Jordan Lynch as players we are known to have worked out, we have also worked out Aaron Donald and Walt Aikens. It's either we are very secretive on this process or we have not looked at very many prospects yet compared to some other teams.

I did a search to see if anyone has posted on Walt Aikens DB Liberty and it pulled this post up. I thought it was interesting that they had us drafting Kyle Long, when everyone here never thought he'd be a RD1 prospect.

I like Tajh Boyd also, he was one of the first players we worked out at the senior bowl.

Since you noted Tajh and Jordan Lynch as players we are known to have worked out, we have also worked out Aaron Donald and Walt Aikens. It's either we are very secretive on this process or we have not looked at very many prospects yet compared to some other teams.

Ya i don't know what's goin on in that regard. Last year we had a thread filled with guys they worked out.

It is customary for pro scout to work out draftees. I dont think that is a great indicator.

I'm aware. I'm just saying last year we had a list that went about 30 deep. This year we have 4. It just gave us something more to speculate about last year. The more speculation the more entertainment.