Mock Offseason

scs787

With my recent talks of spending big on Bennett I figured I'd throw out an ideal mock offseason.

STARTING CAP MONEY- 8.4M (per Brad Biggs)

RELEASE (w/ Cap savings)

Peppers (9.8M)

Bush (1.8M)

Bennett (2.4)

Podlesh (1M)

(Kept Weems just because he's a good ST player and only clears a mill)

CAP MONEY AFTER CUTS- 23.4

EXTEND

Marshall 3 years 7M/12M/15M (saves 2M)

CAP MONEY AFTER EXTENSION- 25.4

SIGN (all numbers are cap hits)

Michael Bennett- 4 years 8m/10m/12m/14m (DE Seahawks)

Corey Wootton 1 year 1.5M

Nate Collins 1 year 500k

Jay Ratliff 2 years 2M/2.5M

DJ Williams 1 year 1M

Blake Costanzo 1 year 1M

Zack Bowman 2 years 1.5M/1.5M

Husain Abdulah 3 years 2M/3M/4M (SS Chiefs)

Matt Shaughnessy 2 years 2M/2.5M (DE Cards ((was used as a DE)) )

Josh McCown 2 years 2.5M/2.5M

Eben Britton 2 years 1M/1.5M

Joe Morgan 3 years 1M/1.5M/2M (WR Saints)

Total Cap Spending- 24M

TOTAL CAP SPACE LEFT- 1.4m

CAP NEEDED FOR DRAFT- 2, 019,139 (per Overthecap.com)

RESTRUCTURE

Cutler (convert 2M into cap money)

MONEY AFTER RESTRUCTURE 3.4m

DRAFT

1R Aaron Donald DT Pitt ( "a dream for teams that utillize a 3T DT" )

2R Keith McGill CB Utah (has been gaining steam since the combine, looks like a 2R pick)

3R Terrence Brooks FS Florida State (Competes and probably beats Conte for FS position)

4R Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford (Takes over the Bush role)

5R Deandre Coleman DT/DE Cal (Can be utilized as a Red Bryant type DE or inside at DT)

6R Jordan Navjar TE Baylor (Underutilized in Baylors O, transfer from TE U, soft hands, good blocker)

6R Best OL Available

DL Bennett-Donald-Paea/Ratliff/Coleman-Wootton/Shaughnessy/Coleman/Bass/Washington- Bennett and Donald are locks, the other 2 spots have good competition.

LB Briggs and then Williams, Bostic, and SMC battle for 2 spots

CB Jennings-McGill-Frey-Bowman-Hayden. Bowman showed he was capable incase McGill slips. Hayden competes with Frey for the nickle

FS Brooks/Conte. Phil said Conte would compete for the job so I didn't spend money or a top 2 pick on the position. Brooks probably wins the job, Conte stays for depth

SS Abdullah/?- Alright so I left a spot open here....Derrick Martin is a safety though correct?

Isn't exactly young like Phil said....But it just kinda shows that we can build a D even with spending big money on Bennett.

With my recent talks of spending big on Bennett I figured I'd throw out an ideal mock offseason.

RELEASE (w/ Cap savings)

Peppers (9.8M)

Bush (1.8M)

Bennett (2.4)

Podlesh (1M)

EXTEND

Nate Collins 1 year 500k

DJ Williams 1 year 1M

Blake Costanzo 1 year 1M

Total Cap Spending- 24M

RESTRUCTURE

DRAFT

2R Keith McGill CB Utah (has been gaining steam since the combine, looks like a 2R pick)

3R Terrence Brooks FS Florida State (Competes and probably beats Conte for FS position)

5R Deandre Coleman DT/DE Cal (Can be utilized as a Red Bryant type DE or inside at DT)

6R Jordan Navjar TE Baylor (Underutilized in Baylors O, transfer from TE U, soft hands, good blocker)

6R Best OL Available

DL Bennett-Donald-Paea/Ratliff/Coleman-Wootton/Shaughnessy/Coleman/Bass/Washington- Bennett and Donald are locks, the other 2 spots have good competition.

CB Jennings-McGill-Frey-Bowman-Hayden. Bowman showed he was capable incase McGill slips. Hayden competes with Frey for the nickle

FS Brooks/Conte. Phil said Conte would compete for the job so I didn't spend money or a top 2 pick on the position. Brooks probably wins the job, Conte stays for depth

SS Abdullah/?- Alright so I left a spot open here....Derrick Martin is a safety though correct?

Isn't exactly young like Phil said....But it just kinda shows that we can build a D even with spending big money on Bennett.

As much as you were detail oriented, we wont be dipping into Cutlers contract(defeats the purpose of doing it)

if Bennett is that expensive, he wont be here(I would like him here, just dont see Phil spending that much on him)

we wont be bringing in Joe Morgan, we have Wilson and several options with future contracts(think Cris Williams)

if they play with the cap money and wait to cut Peppers we can add another 4 1/2 mil to the pie

I dont think they will give 5 mil to McCown( to much money tied up in QBs, they will find another McCown type to fill the spot)

I like your names but would prefer Stevie Brown to Husain

I prefer other Ss before I would get to Brooks--- Bucannon,Reynolds, and Bailey

You did a good job with this, but suspect things will fall different, Phil is full of surprises

As much as you were detail oriented, we wont be dipping into Cutlers contract(defeats the purpose of doing it)

if Bennett is that expensive, he wont be here(I would like him here, just dont see Phil spending that much on him)

we wont be bringing in Joe Morgan, we have Wilson and several options with future contracts(think Cris Williams)

if they play with the cap money and wait to cut Peppers we can add another 4 1/2 mil to the pie

I dont think they will give 5 mil to McCown( to much money tied up in QBs, they will find another McCown type to fill the spot)

I like your names but would prefer Stevie Brown to Husain

I prefer other Ss before I would get to Brooks--- Bucannon,Reynolds, and Bailey

You did a good job with this, but suspect things will fall different, Phil is full of surprises

Why does it defeat the purpose of doing it? Why even write up that clause if you're not gonna use it if necessary? It's 2M to give us money for the draft, I'm not going overboard here or anything.

I really don't see why Phil wouldn't wanna open the wallet for Bennett, I think it's clear the money is there. Only gonna get so far with "under the radar" signings.

I'm not sold on Williams as a receiver. As a returner? yes. As a 5'8" WR? no. Wilson steps into Bennetts #3 spot, while Morgan steps into Wilsons #4.

If they wait then they only have 15M to mess around with for 2 months of FA...Which I guess is fine if you don't see Phil opening the checkbook (I do)....Then they have 14M to spend on leftovers.

I thought about leaving Josh out but I had so much money to work with I didn't know what to do with it(yup you read that right)...Was debating between him and Tillman...They said they wanted to get younger on D so I went with Josh.

I'm cool with either Brown or Husain.

I used the WF mock for the first few rounds, all the safeties you mentioned were gone at that point. Brooks isn't bad though.

Thanks, and we shall see. I know it probably won't look anything close to this but I was just kinda trying to "prove a point" that the Bears could spend big money on a guy and still be in good shape financially.

Why does it defeat the purpose of doing it? Why even write up that clause if you're not gonna use it if necessary? It's 2M to give us money for the draft, I'm not going overboard here or anything.

I really don't see why Phil wouldn't wanna open the wallet for Bennett, I think it's clear the money is there. Only gonna get so far with "under the radar" signings.

I'm not sold on Williams as a receiver. As a returner? yes. As a 5'8" WR? no. Wilson steps into Bennetts #3 spot, while Morgan steps into Wilsons #4.

If they wait then they only have 15M to mess around with for 2 months of FA...Which I guess is fine if you don't see Phil opening the checkbook (I do)....Then they have 14M to spend on leftovers.

I thought about leaving Josh out but I had so much money to work with I didn't know what to do with it(yup you read that right)...Was debating between him and Tillman...They said they wanted to get younger on D so I went with Josh.

I'm cool with either Brown or Husain.

I used the WF mock for the first few rounds, all the safeties you mentioned were gone at that point. Brooks isn't bad though.

Thanks, and we shall see. I know it probably won't look anything close to this but I was just kinda trying to "prove a point" that the Bears could spend big money on a guy and still be in good shape financially.

I think the only way they dip into Cutler money is a last resort, and with your scenario,leaving Morgan and Blake out takes care of that.

I think you put together a good arrangement but just dont think Phil we go big with Bennett, and going after Morgan, although after reading about him, may have some upside.

I agree, if that's the contract we'd have to give MBennett I pass. He's very good but he's not elite and the last couple years of that deal are too high. I prefer we try to get him with more guaranteed yet lower numbers overall. Curious to see what money he ends up getting. I think the same about your proposed extension to Brandon Marshall's contract…3rd year at $15mil seems too high especially at a time when we'll have to put big money into Jeffrey's contract.

Overall I like the effort and your point is valid, we should be able to improve the D significantly via FA.

I agree, if that's the contract we'd have to give MBennett I pass. He's very good but he's not elite and the last couple years of that deal are too high. I prefer we try to get him with more guaranteed yet lower numbers overall. Curious to see what money he ends up getting. I think the same about your proposed extension to Brandon Marshall's contract…3rd year at $15mil seems too high especially at a time when we'll have to put big money into Jeffrey's contract.

Overall I like the effort and your point is valid, we should be able to improve the D significantly via FA.

Those 2 contracts(Bennett and Marshalls) may be a bit too high but you gotta factor in that the cap will be 7 million dollars higher next year and another 10 million dollars higher the following year. That's a TON of money.

But yeah, at least for Bennett, I'm now thinking the Bears could end up throwing a big signing bonus his way to lessen the cap number like what they did with Bushrod and Bennett.

RELEASE (w/ Cap savings)

Peppers (9.8M)

Bush (1.8M)

Bennett (2.4)

Podlesh (1M)

EXTEND

Nate Collins 1 year 500k

DJ Williams 1 year 1M

Blake Costanzo 1 year 1M

Total Cap Spending- 24M

RESTRUCTURE

DRAFT

6R Best OL Available

Aaron Donald should definitely be our draft target!! Would love to see if they can restructure Pepp's deal, if not- release him and go hard after Michael Bennett. I like your 2nd and 3rd round predictions as well. It's time to add an infusion of youth to this old shell of a once successful Lovie defense.