Goodbye McCown

AZ54

Two items caught my eye yesterday:

Chad Henne signed a two year deal for $8mil

Matt Cassell signed a two year deal for $10mil

If that's the market for backup and/or care-taker QBs while rookies learn the ropes, goodbye Josh McCown. He did a great job for us and if he can now get a similar contract to those above then that's great for him and his family. It's just not a deal the Bears can do given all the needs on defense.

If that's the market for backup and/or care-taker QBs while rookies learn the ropes, goodbye Josh McCown. He did a great job for us and if he can now get a similar contract to those above then that's great for him and his family. It's just not a deal the Bears can do given all the needs on defense.

Would love to have him here, and I think he would play for less to stay with us, but the 3 -4 mil range he will be in wont be in our budget.

I will miss him if he leaves. Our season last year could have been a disaster without him, just like it was a few years ago with Caleb Hanie. There's no sense in paying him gobs of money to remain as our backup though. Good for him if he can go elsewhere for more money. I hope the Bears have a plan then for who their next backup is going to be. The Bears don't exactly have an ironman back there at starting QB.

I don't know how much those other 2 contracts will impact McCown's.

Henne had more passing yards last year than McCown has had in the his last 8 (combined). Both of the other QBs are fringe starters, and McCown is not considered in that category. At his age, he is a veteran backup and should be paid like one. I would think McCown would be in the range of 2 yrs and no more than 5 million.

I would love for Josh to stay.

I wish him well wherever he goes, unless it's to a rival.

I think there's a decent chance he'll stay. If he purely wants loot, he gone. If not, he knows his bet potential is here.

If he goes, I also trust that Trestman will have another capable back-up ready to go.

Henne had more passing yards last year than McCown has had in the his last 8 (combined). Both of the other QBs are fringe starters, and McCown is not considered in that category. At his age, he is a veteran backup and should be paid like one. I would think McCown would be in the range of 2 yrs and no more than 5 million.

I think any team with a QB crisis, and therefore no big cap hit on the QB position, will, after last year's performance, look at McCown as a potential stopgap QB while their rookie learns the ropes. Add to that all the good stuff about McCown pulling rookies into meetings during minicamps and other times to learn the offense and you have exactly what a team will want from their veteran stopgap QB.

No QB very quickly equates to no job for GMs and others in the front office. There is no other position as important to stabilize as that one. I don't think guys like McKenzie in Oakland with a ton of cap space will think twice about spending $5mil/yr for a 2yr deal on a guy like McCown.

I think any team with a QB crisis, and therefore no big cap hit on the QB position, will, after last year's performance, look at McCown as a potential stopgap QB while their rookie learns the ropes. Add to that all the good stuff about McCown pulling rookies into meetings during minicamps and other times to learn the offense and you have exactly what a team will want from their veteran stopgap QB.

No QB very quickly equates to no job for GMs and others in the front office. There is no other position as important to stabilize as that one. I don't think guys like McKenzie in Oakland with a ton of cap space will think twice about spending $5mil/yr for a 2yr deal on a guy like McCown.

Your spot on.

His value is here. I still believe he's staying.

I agree his value is here and professionally, he will regret and lament leaving.

Financially he will have no regrets. I just hope we find a veteran to do what he did. When we made him our #2, nobody had faith in him and Cutler had a history of being injured. I hope we can find a similar veteran.

Whoever our future #2 is, when you are throwing to BM and AJ, it does make your job easier.

I agree his value is here and professionally, he will regret and lament leaving.

Financially he will have no regrets. I just hope we find a veteran to do what he did. When we made him our #2, nobody had faith in him and Cutler had a history of being injured. I hope we can find a similar veteran.

Whoever our future #2 is, when you are throwing to BM and AJ, it does make your job easier.

…. and Matt Forte.

McCown will be paid similar money and he will have to move on, as all we will give him is 2 years-2 to 2 and half a year.

A good guy, likable and not a bad QB, but money is almost always the deciding factor, period.