Ryan Mundy and Mike Mitchell "targeted"

scs787

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 19m

Listed Mike Mitchell (Panthers) and Ryan Mundy (Giants) as 2 safeties that could be in play for #Bears this morning. They are targeted.

I assume this means we've been in contact with them.

Mitchell is listed as the 94th ranked FA by NFL.com.

Played for Chico in Carolina, and that D was pretty damn good.

Rotoworld had this to say about him

"Playing on a one-year deal last season, Mitchell racked up 66 tackles, four interceptions, 3.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. He was a play-maker for a secondary that doesn't have many of them. Mitchell is still only 27. He'd have a nice little market if he reached free agency."

Rotoworld also notes that he can play both safety positions.

Mundy is a little less interesting. Was signed to be a backup by the Giants, cracked the starting lineup when Stevie Brown got hurt, had a decent year with 77 tackles a sack and a pick.

Anything is better than Conte at this point. Mitchell would be an upgrade.

Most writers are figuring what we will spend and then throw names out there that fit in that price range. Fact is almost anybody is an upgrade over what we had. Look back at the quiet signing of Jenning his first year.A descent player. Now he has visited the pro bowl and got a decent payday, that is the type we will find out there.

Most writers are figuring what we will spend and then throw names out there that fit in that price range. Fact is almost anybody is an upgrade over what we had. Look back at the quiet signing of Jenning his first year.A descent player. Now he has visited the pro bowl and got a decent payday, that is the type we will find out there.

I kinda disagree, I think these guys have sources.

Biggs speculated earlier in the day that those 2 along with a few other could be targets...then he baccked that up with this tweet.

I kinda disagree, I think these guys have sources.

Biggs speculated earlier in the day that those 2 along with a few other could be targets...then he baccked that up with this tweet.

Besides Bennett names we have contacted are the above mentioned Mitchell and Mundy, also I have seen DT Mitchell formally of Houston.

I fixed your post.

It didnt need fixin, I meant that if we get our potential starters at S at a reasonably price does that leave us a couple more mil to address bringing Tillman back. Our defensive backfield will be set for year, other than a couple later picks to add the youth.

I hope your right on the Bennett signing, my negativity is only about how much we spend, not the player himself.

It didnt need fixin, I meant that if we get our potential starters at S at a reasonably price does that leave us a couple more mil to address bringing Tillman back. Our defensive backfield will be set for year, other than a couple later picks to add the youth.

I hope your right on the Bennett signing, my negativity is only about how much we spend, not the player himself.

I'm thinking it's one or the other honestly.

We all know the Bears wanna get younger and "build from the draft". So with that being said the CB position is really deep this year, I think that's where we get our new CB. DE is really thin so I think they address that in FA.

Safety and DT is also deep, so I think we see rookie starters there as well.

Guest TerraTor

Anybody Is better than Conte, except maybe Wright..

But honestly there some studs in the draft. I like Dion Bailey in the 2nd. We need the best D player in 1st on DL or MILB. Everybody on the front 7 is junk. Without a beast to build around.

I love Mosely but his nagging injuries are concerning

I'm thinking it's one or the other honestly.

We all know the Bears wanna get younger and "build from the draft". So with that being said the CB position is really deep this year, I think that's where we get our new CB. DE is really thin so I think they address that in FA.

Safety and DT is also deep, so I think we see rookie starters there as well.

So we are going to draft immediate starters at CB, Safety, AND DT? That's asking a lot. Most years we don't start any rookie immediatley. Last year we started rookies Kyle Long and Jordan Mills.

Bostic and Greene sure as hell doesn't give us confidence that the Bears can draft any defensive player who can contribute immediately. Not to mention Shea McClellin

So we are going to draft immediate starters at CB, Safety, AND DT? That's asking a lot. Most years we don't start any rookie immediatley. Last year we started rookies Kyle Long and Jordan Mills.

Bostic and Greene sure as hell doesn't give us confidence that the Bears can draft any defensive player who can contribute immediately. Not to mention Shea McClellin

I think there's a good chance. With how deep this draft is they should be able to find starters in rounds 1-3.

I think there's a good chance. With how deep this draft is they should be able to find starters in rounds 1-3.

Yeah, but we're not going to find starters who are ready to play immediately. More importantly, why would you want to do that? We draft Bostic in round #2. He was awful. Why start Botstic when you can pay DJ Williams 1.25 million to play MLB. He's one helluva a lot better when healthy.

We need more guys like DJ Williams and fewer defensive rookies playing immediately.

Yeah, but we're not going to find starters who are ready to play immediately. More importantly, why would you want to do that? We draft Bostic in round #2. He was awful. Why start Botstic when you can pay DJ Williams 1.25 million to play MLB. He's one helluva a lot better when healthy.

We need more guys like DJ Williams and fewer defensive rookies playing immediately.

Rookies start all the time right off the bat. Esp. if they can go DT-CB-S with the picks I think those guys will be fine. CB is hella deep so they can get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round. Safety is deep as well, and in the "last line of defense" role they'd be fine.

Bostic was awful because the DL was awful and teams were able to get big bodies on em, I don't think it really has much to do about him being a rookie.

Rookies start all the time right off the bat. Esp. if they can go DT-CB-S with the picks I think those guys will be fine. CB is hella deep so they can get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round. Safety is deep as well, and in the "last line of defense" role they'd be fine.

Bostic was awful because the DL was awful and teams were able to get big bodies on em, I don't think it really has much to do about him being a rookie.

A bad Dline didn't help but taking bad angles and over-running plays has a lot to do with Bostic himself. He could have done a lot better to get in the right position to stop plays. The most troubling aspect is that he didn't seem to have a learning curve as the season went along. Of course his position coach was fired so we'll get to find out how much that played into it. This is football, he's played enough years that he should have some of these basics down.

That would be awesome but think your dreaming. Our first pick needs to be an impact starter, the next two need to see playing time, but dont see 3 players making an impact in the first year. Last year they hit on Long but although Mills started he wasnt very good most of the time. Bostic ending up starting but wasnt very good. Greene sucked. Unfortunately most rookies take time. Bostic will make improvements this year, Greene has a long way to go. Mills needs to improve and Long is a star. I think out of necessity, the S we draft will play and get better as the year goes on.

That would be awesome but think your dreaming. Our first pick needs to be an impact starter, the next two need to see playing time, but dont see 3 players making an impact in the first year. Last year they hit on Long but although Mills started he wasnt very good most of the time. Bostic ending up starting but wasnt very good. Greene sucked. Unfortunately most rookies take time. Bostic will make improvements this year, Greene has a long way to go. Mills needs to improve and Long is a star. I think out of necessity, the S we draft will play and get better as the year goes on.

Let me just add, I hope we have a once in 10 year draft and we get 3 starters right away and 6 that contribute on the team, but usually things take time.

My hopes the first round gets us a impact D player that becomes a pro bowler regularly

2nd and 3rd contribute the first year and become starters

From the 4th on,3 or 4 make the roster and become competent backups..