What we know so far(FA)

Stinger226

Players are starting to fall so what does that tell us?

Henne/QB--2 year-8 mil

Cassal/QB-2 year-10 mil

Probably means we say good bye to McCown--a better QB than the two mentioned and we wont be paying that kind of money for a backup QB

Shields/CB-4year-39 mil

Ross/CB-1 year-570 k

Greenwood/CB-1 year-570 k

Grimes/CB-4 year-32 mil

Hall/CB-4 year-17 mil

Hayden-1 year-840k

Probably means Peanut will be closer to Hall (30) money I would say a 2 year 6.5 mil(dont see the Bears paying that)

Pollard/S-2 year-6.3

Allen/S- 1 year-955k

Stuckey/S-4 year-?

Were looking at Mundy and Mitchell I would say contracts if we sign them will be around 3 year-8 to 10 mil range

Peters/DT-1 year-1.5 mil

Pitoutua/DT-3 year-9.6

Baker/DT-3 year-9 mil

Ratcliff/DT-2 year- 4 mil

Melton is the key but by what contracts are given so far would say he is looking for a 1 year deal for 6 mil or 3 year 22 mil.

Ear Mitchel has been contacted by Bears 6-3 308-26 years old probably a 3 year 7.5 contract

Hardy/DE-1 year-13.1 mil

Bryant/DE-4 year-17 mil

Dawson/DE-1 year-855k

Cunningham/DE-1 year-755k

Lee/DE-1 year-vet min

Scott/DE-1 year-vet min

We are going after Bennett that is going to cost around 4 year 39 mil which is still in question if we go that high(hoping we do)

I think we get Wootten back around 4 year 11 mil

Other names we are suggested we are interested in Ayers,Johnson.,Griffin,Young

I think your estimates are some of them are reasonable from what we've seen so far but you are too high on the deal Mundy will get. He seems to be a backup player and special teamer. In other words, competition for Conte. Mitchell is starter material and could end up with a bit more than 3yr $10mil.

I know we jump in the ring going after the first tier of FAs like all teams do but hearing about our interest in guys like Mundy makes me think Emery is very targeted with his initial FA contacts. It feels as if he IDs 2nd tier and some 3rd tier guys he really wants, knows the market value, and goes after them aggressively from day one willing to give them top dollar for the range they are expecting to sign for.

It seems a lot of other teams wait to see what the market will be for the 2nd tier and especially the 3rd tier. We do some of that as well, as we should. However, I think some teams look at it as: Ok we have these 3 players ranked similarly get me 1 of the 3 for the lowest price of the 3 players. Emery seems to be more clear in his first 2-4 FA targets and for those he knows which 1 among that group of FAs he wants and goes quickly to sign them even if it means he ends up paying the most of the group.

We don't have a big data sample yet but so far in the last two off seasons this appears to be his M.O. IIRC we went after Bushrod and Martellus Bennett very quickly when bigger names were available. We waited for the market to drop but it seems clear now that Slauson was targeted early on in FA last year. He hit on all 3 of those signings last year IMO.

I think your estimates are some of them are reasonable from what we've seen so far but you are too high on the deal Mundy will get. He seems to be a backup player and special teamer. In other words, competition for Conte. Mitchell is starter material and could end up with a bit more than 3yr $10mil.

I know we jump in the ring going after the first tier of FAs like all teams do but hearing about our interest in guys like Mundy makes me think Emery is very targeted with his initial FA contacts. It feels as if he IDs 2nd tier and some 3rd tier guys he really wants, knows the market value, and goes after them aggressively from day one willing to give them top dollar for the range they are expecting to sign for.

It seems a lot of other teams wait to see what the market will be for the 2nd tier and especially the 3rd tier. We do some of that as well, as we should. However, I think some teams look at it as: Ok we have these 3 players ranked similarly get me 1 of the 3 for the lowest price of the 3 players. Emery seems to be more clear in his first 2-4 FA targets and for those he knows which 1 among that group of FAs he wants and goes quickly to sign them even if it means he ends up paying the most of the group.

We don't have a big data sample yet but so far in the last two off seasons this appears to be his M.O. IIRC we went after Bushrod and Martellus Bennett very quickly when bigger names were available. We waited for the market to drop but it seems clear now that Slauson was targeted early on in FA last year. He hit on all 3 of those signings last year IMO.

Your right, Mundy to high, Mitchell a little low. Phil has a plan, so far I think we go after Bennett, the one big contract. I think we have a fair deal to offer him but if one gets crazy it wont be here. It seems he has Mitchell projected as a starter, Mundy more of a 2nd tier action in case we cant find another starter, wiii be adequate.He will have one name we dont expect and will pop on us out of the box.

It looks like Phil's plan will be to go after Bennett,Johnson, the one big deal( I think there is a limit what he plans on spending.)

Add depth at S with Mitchell(starter) and Mundy (depth or start if necessary)

Add depth at DT with Ratcliff, contacting Mitchell/DT/Hou, more middle level signings.

Add depth at DE with Scott, Lane and an attempt at a DE plum

I think he will try to set draft up so we can take the BPA at almost any position by filling the team with FAs at his price.

Its Ratliff damnit!!! lol

Griffen is off the market. 5 year deal. Will be interesting to see how much. Could kinda set the market a bit.

EDIT- Yeesh, Griffen gets 5/42. Averages out to over 8M a year. That's about what I thought Bennett/Johnson would get. Still think Bennett/Johnson is a possibility but after seeing that deal I'm a little less optimistic.

Griffen is off the market. 5 year deal. Will be interesting to see how much. Could kinda set the market a bit.

EDIT- Yeesh, Griffen gets 5/42. Averages out to over 8M a year. That's about what I thought Bennett/Johnson would get. Still think Bennett/Johnson is a possibility but after seeing that deal I'm a little less optimistic.

WOW. If Griffen is worth 42 with 20 guaranteerd, Michael Bennett is worth 84 with 40 guaranteed.

WOW. If Griffen is worth 42 with 20 guaranteerd, Michael Bennett is worth 84 with 40 guaranteed.

Ya, hopefully teams realize just how awful that deal is and don't use it as a "measuring stick"

Dude is now being paid the 8th highest average salary among DEs....A guy who has started 1 game in 5 years....1 game...WOW.

Ya, hopefully teams realize just how awful that deal is and don't use it as a "measuring stick"

Dude is now being paid the 8th highest average salary among DEs....A guy who has started 1 game in 5 years....1 game...WOW.

Teams have to spend something like 90% of their cap room and it's likely to go up another 10 million next year. A ton of teams are way under the cap.

Bennett is arguably the #1 free agent available. Just about every contract we have seen so far indicates teams will be spending crazy money this off-season.

He is 11th ranked on your PFF list so he is close to his valve.

…and I keep asking myself who is Griffen? I'm thinking a guy worth $42mil is someone I've seen plenty of highlights on ESPN or NFL Network. Maybe even someone the Vikings fans talk about as one highlight in an otherwise bad season. Maybe the networks just didn't have enough time to sort through all of those 18 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Had we known they were willing to pay $466,000 for each tackle we should have traded Julius Peppers $14mil to them. Pepper's 31 tackles and 7 sacks fit right into that model.

No, I don't want to pay $84mil to Michael Bennett.

…and I keep asking myself who is Griffen? I'm thinking a guy worth $42mil is someone I've seen plenty of highlights on ESPN or NFL Network. Maybe even someone the Vikings fans talk about as one highlight in an otherwise bad season. Maybe the networks just didn't have enough time to sort through all of those 18 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Had we known they were willing to pay $466,000 for each tackle we should have traded Julius Peppers $14mil to them. Pepper's 31 tackles and 7 sacks fit right into that model.

Bennett is the best available but he is not worth star money.

lol I love this post.

Bennett won't be getting 84M...

Great post!

Peace :dabears