Bears trim Bush

scs787

A backup RB is an obvious need now. I'm cool with finding one in the draft, esp. since teams typically don't draft RBs high and they should be able to find good value in the 4th or 5th round.

BUT....

What if Melton is a goner and there's just no one else worth spending money on? With Forte's shaky injury history, and the big role he plays in the offense, I wouldn't hate to see the Bears pay a decent chunk of change to a guy who could be a really good fit.

Recently Phil Emery stated the No. 1 quality he's looking for in a No. 2 running back is that he can pass protect.

That prompted me over to my pals at PFF who actually keep track of that sort of thing.

The top pass blocking back just so happens to be a free agent right now, and his market is pretty dry. He's also a really good pass catcher which is a plus in this system as well.

"What Maurice Jones-Drew has done in pass protection this season has been nothing short of amazing. Listed at 5-foot-7 and 210 pounds, Jones-Drew gives up five inches and 30 pounds to almost every linebacker he takes on. Fred Jackson holds our half back record for most pass blocking snaps without a pressure for a single with 83 back in 2011. Jones-Drew has already surpassed that total and if he can stay clean through the last three games he’ll put up an almost untouchable record."

MJD seems like he'd be a perfect fit here. Not being the primary back might also help squeeze a little more life out of him

If they have the money, with nothing to spend it on, I'd loves me some "Pocket Hercules"

A backup RB is an obvious need now. I'm cool with finding one in the draft, esp. since teams typically don't draft RBs high and they should be able to find good value in the 4th or 5th round.

BUT....

What if Melton is a goner and there's just no one else worth spending money on? With Forte's shaky injury history, and the big role he plays in the offense, I wouldn't hate to see the Bears pay a decent chunk of change to a guy who could be a really good fit.

Recently Phil Emery stated the No. 1 quality he's looking for in a No. 2 running back is that he can pass protect.

That prompted me over to my pals at PFF who actually keep track of that sort of thing.

The top pass blocking back just so happens to be a free agent right now, and his market is pretty dry. He's also a really good pass catcher which is a plus in this system as well.

"What Maurice Jones-Drew has done in pass protection this season has been nothing short of amazing. Listed at 5-foot-7 and 210 pounds, Jones-Drew gives up five inches and 30 pounds to almost every linebacker he takes on. Fred Jackson holds our half back record for most pass blocking snaps without a pressure for a single with 83 back in 2011. Jones-Drew has already surpassed that total and if he can stay clean through the last three games he’ll put up an almost untouchable record."

MJD seems like he'd be a perfect fit here. Not being the primary back might also help squeeze a little more life out of him

If they have the money, with nothing to spend it on, I'd loves me some "Pocket Hercules"

You forget MJD is prolly hated by Cutler...... Talking shit after the NFC champ game

You forget MJD is prolly hated by Cutler...... Talking shit after the NFC champ game

I had forgotten about that.

I was just putting 2 and 2 together with what Marc wanted and who was out there. Started to really like the idea since I know he's a good pass catcher as well.

Andre Brown is also on that list, is a solid pass catcher, and is only 27.