REVIS said to be traded or cut today

Lucky Luciano

it has been reported on NFL channel that revis is going to be traded or cut today.

i would go very large on revis. we have NO high cost player on this side of the ball and he would give us the option, cost wise, to eat a large part of his contract while we groom tackles or defensive ends through the draft.

revis would be the best possible scenario to come to chicago. he is the type of player we have not had maybe ever. with a very good cover corner in his PRIME we could solidify our pass defense for the next 4 + years with a real talent in a pass oriented NFL.

it also gives us the option to run ANY type of defense with a cover corner who can shut down an opponents #1 receiver without safety help.

now is the time for emery to make a critical move for this franchise. we missed out on charles woodson and that cost us big over the time he was in his prime in green bay. let's not do it again.

NOTE: one other choice for me would be cromartie out of denver for the same reasons.

it has been reported on NFL channel that revis is going to be traded or cut today.

i would go very large on revis. we have NO high cost player on this side of the ball and he would give us the option, cost wise, to eat a large part of his contract while we groom tackles or defensive ends through the draft.

revis would be the best possible scenario to come to chicago. he is the type of player we have not had maybe ever. with a very good cover corner in his PRIME we could solidify our pass defense for the next 4 + years with a real talent in a pass oriented NFL.

it also gives us the option to run ANY type of defense with a cover corner who can shut down an opponents #1 receiver without safety help.

one other choice for me would be cromartie out of denver.

now is the time for emery to make a critical move for this franchise. we missed out on charles woodson and that cost us big over the time he was in his prime in green bay. let's not do it again.

I don't know much about numbers but I think he'd cost too much.

I agree it would be nice to have a player of his caliber. Just not at his age, injury past and money

Agreed. Too many obstacles for him to be a Bear. Especially with so many needs in so many areas.

obstacles?

this move helps out THREE areas of our defense in one shot!!

1. it makes our CB's elite with a shut down corner on one side and a good CB on the other.

2. it helps out our safeties tremendously. our strong safety can focus more on the run and short passing attack over the middle and our free safety can double up help with our weaker CB or cover a three receiver set.

3. it tremendously helps out our defensive line. right now we have just brought in DE who is not proficient at pressuring the qb but stout against the run. we have no good pass rushing end on this team and if we go to free agency like many want to get allen he is a stop gap with 1-2 years at best. there are NO defensive ends out there in their prime to choose from. so what happens is if our corners can cover longer it gives our DL time to make up for their lack of ability to pressure the qb.

it stands to reason we can back load a big contract for revis and next season we get relief from cutlers 2nd year to bump onto revis's signing. the same holds true that we have NO high priced defensive players right now. we intend to draft the DL which gives us a 3-5 year window that they are not making the big bucks. by that time if they deserve top dollar revis's contract is on the downside.

with a little thought by our franchises money man this is not any kind of detriment to our cap figures after this year.

Agreed. Too many obstacles for him to be a Bear. Especially with so many needs in so many areas.

also, you seem to want to get rid of briggs. i personally don't (i have no problem with him at all) unless it would be in a trade deal with the bucs for revis.

if this would work lovie gets a pro-bowl backer whom he loves and we get revis.

i take a shut down corner any day of the week for an outside linebacker.

I do, but only for the right price. There is still a good chunk of gas left in the tank and an afforable cap number.

I'd do that trade ina heartbeat. Although we'd probably have to give up at least a 3rd for him as well. Which I'd be OK with.

also, you seem to want to get rid of briggs. i personally don't (i have no problem with him at all) unless it would be in a trade deal with the bucs for revis.

Yes. Obstacles.

1. Revis is pricey. We have some money, but Revis would prettymuch eat it all I would imagine.

2. Revis does have injury history. It may mean nothing. Or it may mean everything.

Yes, adding him helps. Your first 2 points are valid. However, I am just not one of the mindset that one good corner can make the difference on the DL. Will it help, yes. I just simply do not subscribe to the notion that it will make a tremendous difference as you mention.

If Stein and Emery can make the deal work, while still addressing other needs, I'm OK with it.

I just don't see it happeneing.

obstacles?

this move helps out THREE areas of our defense in one shot!!

1. it makes our CB's elite with a shut down corner on one side and a good CB on the other.

2. it helps out our safeties tremendously. our strong safety can focus more on the run and short passing attack over the middle and our free safety can double up help with our weaker CB or cover a three receiver set.

3. it tremendously helps out our defensive line. right now we have just brought in DE who is not proficient at pressuring the qb but stout against the run. we have no good pass rushing end on this team and if we go to free agency like many want to get allen he is a stop gap with 1-2 years at best. there are NO defensive ends out there in their prime to choose from. so what happens is if our corners can cover longer it gives our DL time to make up for their lack of ability to pressure the qb.

it stands to reason we can back load a big contract for revis and next season we get relief from cutlers 2nd year to bump onto revis's signing. the same holds true that we have NO high priced defensive players right now. we intend to draft the DL which gives us a 3-5 year window that they are not making the big bucks. by that time if they deserve top dollar revis's contract is on the downside.

with a little thought by our franchises money man this is not any kind of detriment to our cap figures after this year.

PREACH!

PREACH!

well here's the thing... if someone doesn't trade with the bucs by this afternoon they cut him and get nothing. if the bears trade them briggs and a 7th round pick they get something for him.

we get an elite player who doesn't touch the market this year (the pats are SERIOUSLY interested) and can work out a contract for the future to keep us inside of the cap.

Yes. Obstacles.

1. Revis is pricey. We have some money, but Revis would prettymuch eat it all I would imagine.

dude, you HAVE to look at this as long term health of the franchise not just the immediate cap hits this season. we have NOTHING on the defensive side of the ball to hurt our cap for years. it's all nickle and dime salaries. with revis we get a big hit but it evens out over the next 3 years while the cap goes up, we get relief from the cutler bonus and our draft picks play for rookie contracts.

2. Revis does have injury history. It may mean nothing. Or it may mean everything.

that is true for any player in the NFL including rookies.

Yes, adding him helps. Your first 2 points are valid. However, I am just not one of the mindset that one good corner can make the difference on the DL. Will it help, yes. I just simply do not subscribe to the notion that it will make a tremendous difference as you mention.

it only stands to reason. if a qb has to wait for a pattern to develop it takes time (time for our DL to get to him). if we play bump and run man he has no quick dump outlet. this also increases the time he is holding the ball. these may only be fractions of seconds but in my opinion it DOES make a difference over a season.

Again, I'm all for it if the powers that be can make it work...

dude, you HAVE to look at this as long term health of the franchise not just the immediate cap hits this season. we have NOTHING on the defensive side of the ball to hurt our cap for years. it's all nickle and dime salaries. with revis we get a big hit but it evens out over the next 3 years while the cap goes up, we get relief from the cutler bonus and our draft picks play for rookie contracts.

that is true for any player in the NFL including rookies.

it only stands to reason. if a qb has to wait for a pattern to develop it takes time (time for our DL to get to him). if we play bump and run man he has no quick dump outlet. this also increases the time he is holding the ball. these may only be fractions of seconds but in my opinion it DOES make a difference over a season.

Well put

well here's the thing... if someone doesn't trade with the bucs by this afternoon they cut him and get nothing. if the bears trade them briggs and a 7th round pick they get something for him.

we get an elite player who doesn't touch the market this year (the pats are SERIOUSLY interested) and can work out a contract for the future to keep us inside of the cap.

They signed Vernon so I'm gonna guess no, but I don't think he'll be a Bear either unless the market is really dry for him. Phil likes the CBs in the draft.

The more days that pile up in FAgency the more likely they come back here. I would say they visit and leave they are not getting the offers there looking for and our offers is more favorable.