Bears sign Dominic Hixon

adam

Hard to get excited about a guy who had 55 yards receiving last year. OTOH I like the fact the team is kicking the tires on some bottom roster players. We need more than we were getting out of a guy like Weems. I can't say Hixon represents that upgrade, I honestly have no idea what he brings to the table at this point in his 9yr career.

Hard to get excited about a guy who had 55 yards receiving last year. OTOH I like the fact the team is kicking the tires on some bottom roster players. We need more than we were getting out of a guy like Weems. I can't say Hixon represents that upgrade, I honestly have no idea what he brings to the table at this point in his 9yr career.

When he had to fill in for Hicks/Cruz he's been reliable.

What was his PFF football rating last year?

Played very limited time so I think it's a little silly to throw a number it. But it was a positive +0.7.... In 2012, when he got some starting time, he had a +8.2 though. Here's what they had to say about him...

"Hixon was the ultimate complementary receiver for the New York Giants, repeatedly stepping in with productive efforts when other receivers fell to injury. In the past five seasons, he only has four games with a grade worse than -1.0."

also

"Summary: With the Giants hit by injuries this season, Domenik Hixon found himself with an unexpected opportunity to get back into the lineup and contribute, and he again showed himself to be a capable receiver. He caught 67.2% of the passes thrown his way, topping 500 receiving yards and scoring a pair of touchdowns on his 39 receptions. Hixon is another player that won’t be confused for a stud any time soon, but could easily start for some teams and upgrade plenty of receiving groups. "

I think he's a huge upgrade over Weems, and on talent alone he's probably a push in comparison to Bennett but when you factor in contracts it's a win for the Bears.

Also FWIW, and I hope what I say doesn't get overblown into me saying Hixon>Hester at returning kicks, because he's not...

Hixon returned 80 kicks in his career, his average is 24.6. Hesters career average is 24.8.

He'll never be the home run hitter Hester is (does have 2 return tds though) but he'll be serviceable if he wins the return job. Still love the potential of Chris Williams in that role though, and Ford looked good in preseason so he'll have some competition.

Played very limited time so I think it's a little silly to throw a number it. But it was a positive +0.7.... In 2012, when he got some starting time, he had a +8.2 though. Here's what they had to say about him...

"Hixon was the ultimate complementary receiver for the New York Giants, repeatedly stepping in with productive efforts when other receivers fell to injury. In the past five seasons, he only has four games with a grade worse than -1.0."

also

"Summary: With the Giants hit by injuries this season, Domenik Hixon found himself with an unexpected opportunity to get back into the lineup and contribute, and he again showed himself to be a capable receiver. He caught 67.2% of the passes thrown his way, topping 500 receiving yards and scoring a pair of touchdowns on his 39 receptions. Hixon is another player that won’t be confused for a stud any time soon, but could easily start for some teams and upgrade plenty of receiving groups. "

I think he's a huge upgrade over Weems, and on talent alone he's probably a push in comparison to Bennett but when you factor in contracts it's a win for the Bears.

Also FWIW, and I hope what I say doesn't get overblown into me saying Hixon>Hester at returning kicks, because he's not...

Hixon returned 80 kicks in his career, his average is 24.6. Hesters career average is 24.8.

He'll never be the home run hitter Hester is (does have 2 return tds though) but he'll be serviceable if he wins the return job. Still love the potential of Chris Williams in that role though, and Ford looked good in preseason so he'll have some competition.

He can do more than one thing and I think that is paramount. We are signing guys with flexibility. I think it ends up being a big surprise for us on the football field.