Looks like we are done in FA

adam

28. Chicago Bears

Approximate Current Available Cap Space - $4.2 million Martellus Bennett apparently wasn’t persuasive enough in his quest to sway big brother Michael to the Windy City. So the Bears settled for Option B—Lamarr Houston. The Bears gave Houston $8.9 million in fully guaranteed money, but also guaranteed his 2015 base salary for injury, meaning this contract actually reads as at least a two-year deal worth $14.9 million. The small signing bonus and therefore small dead money hits associated with the deal suggest the Bears could cut Houston any time after 2015. After accounting for the release of Julius Peppers (and his accompanying $8.3 million in dead money), the Charles Tillman re-signing, and the acquisitions of outsiders Domenik Hixon, M.D. Jennings and Willie Young, Chicago is just about out of spending money. Phil Emery must now use a loaded draft to plug in any roster holes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/salary-cap-no...00805--nfl.html

Unless we want to restructure some of those convertible deals, we are done in FA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/salary-cap-no...00805--nfl.html

Unless we want to restructure some of those convertible deals, we are done in FA.

Yep. I just posted where Adam Hoge thought it was $5.056.

We gave Cutler huge money and there aren't many free agents available. I'm ok with us not gambling on the present so we can continue to be major players in free agency next year. If there was a guy we think would get us offer the top (Jared Allen) it would be great. But right now we are talking about the difference between Izzy & Corey Wootton. Not a game changing move.

Not news, but I'd be shocked if our first four picks aren't DT, DE, CB, Safety. You can mix the order.

I don't see us a being done. We only have 3 DTs on the roster: Collins, Paea, and Ratliff. I think we are still waiting to make a decision on Melton and if that fails we will sign one other DT to join the backup rotation (Kevin Williams 1yr?). Then we're off to the draft for our DTs. After last year's debacle I don't see how Emery could not load up on more options at DT.

In terms of salary cap space we still have option in cutting Weems and/or Bennett. We already hedged that bet by signing Hixon.

I don't see us a being done. We only have 3 DTs on the roster: Collins, Paea, and Ratliff. I think we are still waiting to make a decision on Melton and if that fails we will sign one other DT to join the backup rotation (Kevin Williams 1yr?). Then we're off to the draft for our DTs. After last year's debacle I don't see how Emery could not load up on more options at DT.

In terms of salary cap space we still have option in cutting Weems and/or Bennett. We already hedged that bet by signing Hixon.

Agreed, I'd be a little surprised if they don't grab one of Melton, Williams, Pat Sims, or Alex Carrington.

Who is our return man? While Hixon can be a returner, he hasn't done it regularly since 2009. At 6'2", I figure we view Hixon as a big WR to back-up BM and AJ.

We have to be thinking about Weems as our return man and Bennett & Marquis Wilson as the #3 WR.

As for DT, I think we'll sign a guy, but he will be more in the range of Izzy. A guy who's not awful, has been in the league, and will be cheap. Not a guy like Henry Melton.

Who is our return man? While Hixon can be a returner, he hasn't done it regularly since 2009. At 6'2", I figure we view Hixon as a big WR to back-up BM and AJ.

We have to be thinking about Weems as our return man and Bennett & Marquis Wilson as the #3 WR.

As for DT, I think we'll sign a guy, but he will be more in the range of Izzy. A guy who's not awful, has been in the league, and will be cheap. Not a guy like Henry Melton.

I think were waiting on Melton to see what happens. Were not done, I doubt we have significant names to sign, but Emery has suprised us before. We can cut Weems and Bennett and pick up some money. The biggest thing to come is the draft not the rest of FAgency.

They also seem to like Chris Williams, the WR who used to play in the CFL , as a return man.

I think were waiting on Melton to see what happens. Were not done, I doubt we have significant names to sign, but Emery has suprised us before. We can cut Weems and Bennett and pick up some money. The biggest thing to come is the draft not the rest of FAgency.

I can see us taking Melton on a 1 year $5 million deal.

They also seem to like Chris Williams, the WR who used to play in the CFL , as a return man.

Don't count put Ford either who looked good returning kicks in pre season. Between Hixon, Williams, and Ford (perhaps another name gets added to the mix) I think the return game will be fine