Why Melton leaving helps us

Stinger226

Interesting take. It certainly would be nice if they can trade down, still get Donald, AND pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder. In the end though I think I'd rather have Melton and HHCD/Pryor over Donald and an added 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I would say that depends on who we get with extra pick and if we move down, who's there. He's gone, so dreaming about him, does us no good.

I would say that depends on who we get with extra pick and if we move down, who's there. He's gone, so dreaming about him, does us no good.

There's no point in fantasizing about Donald. We all did this last year and most HATED the Kyle Long pick. He solidified our line and was a back-up pro-bowler.

We need a game changer on defense. I know we are likely to draft d-line, but if there's a linebacker, safety, or corner that will be a top tier talent, we'd better not mess it up.

There's no point in fantasizing about Donald. We all did this last year and most HATED the Kyle Long pick. He solidified our line and was a back-up pro-bowler.

We need a game changer on defense. I know we are likely to draft d-line, but if there's a linebacker, safety, or corner that will be a top tier talent, we'd better not mess it up.

An interior pass rusher is the teams #1 need IMO. A guy like Donald would indeed be a game changer for this team. Last year we had 6 total sacks from our DTs. Year before we had at least 13, I say at least 13 because I can't find how many of Izzy's 7.5 came from the inside.

I don't see an interior pass rusher being the Bear's #1 need. It's still at Safety IMO. Safety and DE would be 1A and 1B.

Houston, Paea, Ratliff, and Idonije all will play some DT. Right now, they don't have a starting RDE after the loss of Peppers.

At safety, they arguably don't have any quality starters on the roster right now, though Mundy probably takes one of the positions by default.. They damn sure don't want Conte, Steltz, or the Packer scrub starting on the other side.

I don't see an interior pass rusher being our #1 need. It's still at Safety IMO. Safety and DE would be 1A and 1B.

Houston, Paea, Ratliff, and Idonije all will play some DT. Right now, they don't have a starting RDE after the loss of Peppers.

At safety, they arguably don't have any quality starters on the roster right now, though Mundy probably takes one of the positions by default.. They damn sure don't want Conte, Steltz, or the Packer scrub starting on the other side.

FS is def a need (I agree Mundy will be our SS), but I think an interior pass rush is a much bigger need. I will keep coming back to 2012 when the Bears had a top 5 D with Conte and Wright back there. I'm not saying I want guys of their quality back there again but they can get by without having an elite(or potentially elite) player like HHCD or Pryor.

Last year I kept quoting articles that said the 3-tech is the key to a cover 2 defense, and I still firmly believe that. Ratliff and Izzy, at this point in their careers are probably just run stuffers. I'd love to be wrong on Ratliff, and perhaps he deserves the oppertunity to show it but I'll remain skeptical of a guy who hasn't done much in 4 years. Paea has never been a good pass rusher either.

Houston, sack numbers be damned, is a huge upgrade over last years version of Peppers. Again, there's a reason why PFt had him ranked in the top 10 and Peppers missed the top 50. Young I'm less sure about, but I think he's a starting quality DE, and he'll be just that a starter. What's kind of ironic that I've read on Lions message boards that he's a good situational pass rusher and here people question his pass rush ability because he only had 4 sacks.

That's just gow I see it though, I understand the want for a guy like HHCD.

In this scenario, where we trade down and Donald is still there (That's what the article suggests) I'd probably go with(assuming we get a 2nd rounder for trading down)....

1R- Aaron Donald DT- "A dream for teams looking for a 3T DT" -

2R- Terrance Brooks or Ed Reynolds FS- Both are said to be good in coverage and that's what we need

2R- Kareem Martin DE- I'm less pessimistic about Houston/Young than everyone else here, but depth is still a plus to keep everyone fresh

3R- Charles Sims RB- RB needs to be addressed fairly early IMO, can Forte stay healthy 2 years in a row???

4R- C.J. Fiedeorowicz TE- After the Rosario sign/cut/sign escapades I get the feeling they're not 100% sold on him. C.J. makes the red zone O deadly.

5R- Walt Aikens CB- CB with good size who gets to learn under Peanut for a year.

6R- Jeff Mathews QB- I'd like to think Trestman can get a lot of the Ivy League kid

6R- Justin Britt OT- Still wanna see Eben brought back, but even with him re signed they can still use an OT prospect.

In this scenario, where we trade down and Donald is still there (That's what the article suggests) I'd probably go with(assuming we get a 2nd rounder for trading down)....

1R- Aaron Donald DT- "A dream for teams looking for a 3T DT" -

2R- Terrance Brooks or Ed Reynolds FS- Both are said to be good in coverage and that's what we need

2R- Kareem Martin DE- I'm less pessimistic about Houston/Young than everyone else here, but depth is still a plus to keep everyone fresh

3R- Charles Sims RB- RB needs to be addressed fairly early IMO, can Forte stay healthy 2 years in a row???

4R- C.J. Fiedeorowicz TE- After the Rosario sign/cut/sign escapades I get the feeling they're not 100% sold on him. C.J. makes the red zone O deadly.

5R- Walt Aikens CB- CB with good size who gets to learn under Peanut for a year.

6R- Jeff Mathews QB- I'd like to think Trestman can get a lot of the Ivy League kid

6R- Justin Britt OT- Still wanna see Eben brought back, but even with him re signed they can still use an OT prospect.

Brooks is only 5-8? I would prefer more height at that spot.