Hester's value just took another hit...

madlithuanian

When I started watching football the kickoffs were from the 40 yrd line and there were no soccer style kickers and most kickers doubled as players. Now with all the weight training in the game even the kickers are stronger than they were back-in-the-day. This is starting to become closer and closer to resembling scrimmages that used to occur regularly in preseason.

Horrible idea. And it won't change the impact or collisions. Now teams will pooch more often. Besides, even if you kick deep, there is still a massive collision with the guys running full speed for 10-15 yards into that first wave of blockers.

Just a horrible idea.

Horrible idea. And it won't change the impact or collisions. Now teams will pooch more often. Besides, even if you kick deep, there is still a massive collision with the guys running full speed for 10-15 yards into that first wave of blockers.

Just a horrible idea.

Damn. Should have paid Hester $2 million to stay and have his return work cut in half. ;)

:dabears Peace

Damn. Should have paid Hester $2 million to stay and have his return work cut in half. ;)

:dabears Peace

These are only proposals. That doesn't mean they'll come true. If they do come true, then Hester's value is lessened. If they don't, he still has more value than vet minimum.

These are only proposals. That doesn't mean they'll come true. If they do come true, then Hester's value is lessened. If they don't, he still has more value than vet minimum.

In your humble opinion. Let's see what happens if the proposals fail. ;)

Peace :dabears

In your humble opinion. Let's see what happens if the proposals fail. ;)

There ain't nothing humble about Jason. It's pretty clear the Bears already thought his value was diminished by the rule change already approved. If they had any knowledge that this might be coming, it makes even more sense. And his value is clearly no more than the vet minimum in that case. Hell, I can take a knee for $800k a year!

But Jason always thinks he knows better. LOL!

There ain't nothing humble about Jason. It's pretty clear the Bears already thought his value was diminished by the rule change already approved. If they had any knowledge that this might be coming, it makes even more sense. And his value is clearly no more than the vet minimum in that case. Hell, I can take a knee for $800k a year!

But Jason always thinks he knows better. LOL!

Again...eat shit. I have been right FAR more times than I've been wrong in regards to the Bears' picks and FA moves, and there is little chance I would have put a worse product on the field than the Bears have over the last decade. I've said before that I don't keep up with the salary cap, but I definitely would have made better moves and draft picks.

This is a bad move for the Bears. Hester is still one of the most elite return guys in the NFL, and he's exactly the burner the Bears need at the 4th WR position. He won't get many catches, or many passes for that matter, but he stretches the field for Marshall and Jeffery. This is especially bad for the Bears if when the contract details come out we find he was had for 1-2 million. The Bears will be worse on ST next year without him. I called the D being significantly worse last year without Urlacher (injuries weren't predicted), and I'm calling this one.

Bad move.

Again...eat shit. I have been right FAR more times than I've been wrong in regards to the Bears' picks and FA moves, and there is little chance I would have put a worse product on the field than the Bears have over the last decade. I've said before that I don't keep up with the salary cap, but I definitely would have made better moves and draft picks.

This is a bad move for the Bears. Hester is still one of the most elite return guys in the NFL, and he's exactly the burner the Bears need at the 4th WR position. He won't get many catches, or many passes for that matter, but he stretches the field for Marshall and Jeffery. This is especially bad for the Bears if when the contract details come out we find he was had for 1-2 million. The Bears will be worse on ST next year without him. I called the D being significantly worse last year without Urlacher (injuries weren't predicted), and I'm calling this one.

Bad move.

Yeah, we know about your amazing draft prowess. You always remind us. ;)

I'm glad the Bears moved on. Loved Hester in his prime but he is not the same player he was. I hope he breaks the record this next year.

Again...eat shit.

The Bears will be worse on ST next year without him. I called the D being significantly worse last year without Urlacher (injuries weren't predicted)

Bad move.

Have to say I agree with most of what you said. I agree, similar to the loss of Urlacher last year affecting the D, Hester's loss will affect the ST. However I think what we don't know about this new C. Williams kid could pay off both in ST and on offense. Not something Hester could offer any longer. But in the end he's playing for Atlanta now so on we go..

Keep up the dynamic dialogue with Cracker, I always laugh when you guys go back and forth.

Bad move.

I actually thought DJ Williams was playing very well before he went down (at a much higher level than Url's final year).

No way, no how would Hester be playing WR on our team unless you're going to bring back Mushin to line him up. ;)

I actually thought DJ Williams was playing very well before he went down (at a much higher level than Url's final year).

No way, no how would Hester be playing WR on our team unless you're going to bring back Mushin to line him up. ;)

Correct on both points. Hester has a brain the size of a grapenut. His instincts carried him throughout his career but he was never, EVER, going to be a WR at this level. Still, even with a brain that size, he's a card carrying member of Mensa compared to Jason.

Because I thought "BS" when I saw this and I am not a fan of Williams', I looked up comparative stats. So to put into perspective:

Urlacher's stats for 2012(his last year): Games played - 12. Combined tackles - 68. Tackles - 53. sacks - 0

Williams stats for 2013: (what should have been his last year as a Bear): Games played - 6 Combined tackles - 27. Tackles19 and 2 Sacks.

So in half as many games played Williams did not count half the tackles Urlacher did. The only thing he had on Brian was the 2 sacks.

And for what it's worth Williams has not had a complete season since 2010. In all of Urlacher's career he totaled 3 incomplete years.

Re-signing Williams was a mistake more so than not re-signing Hester.

Correct on both points. Hester has a brain the size of a grapenut. His instincts carried him throughout his career but he was never, EVER, going to be a WR at this level. Still, even with a brain that size, he's a card carrying member of Mensa compared to Jason.

If Hester is a member of Mensa, and I'm below him, then you're somewhere between a homunculus and a stupid jellyfish (not one of the smart ones).

Oh, and BTW, Hester was never going to be a #1 WR like Lovie thought, but he was a serviceable 3rd or 4th WR. He doesn't have the biggest or best hands, and he's certainly not the smartest, but he can run a deep pattern and get under the ball. If you recall correctly, he was severely underthrown and poorly overthrown on a handful of passes when running deep during the "WR experiment"-years. Everyone asking for a speedy WR who can stretch the field and catch 20-30 passes a year should have wanted Hester back. The problem he had was that they tried to turn him into a #1, which he isn't.

Because I thought "BS" when I saw this and I am not a fan of Williams', I looked up comparative stats. So to put into perspective:

Urlacher's stats for 2012(his last year): Games played - 12. Combined tackles - 68. Tackles - 53. sacks - 0

Williams stats for 2013: (what should have been his last year as a Bear): Games played - 6 Combined tackles - 27. Tackles19 and 2 Sacks.

So in half as many games played Williams did not count half the tackles Urlacher did. The only thing he had on Brian was the 2 sacks.

And for what it's worth Williams has not had a complete season since 2010. In all of Urlacher's career he totaled 3 incomplete years.

Re-signing Williams was a mistake more so than not re-signing Hester.

And that doesn't even take into account how much of a leader Urlacher was on the field. The defense definitely suffered as a result of having no discernible leader out there last year.

If Hester is a member of Mensa, and I'm below him, then you're somewhere between a homunculus and a stupid jellyfish (not one of the smart ones).

Oh, and BTW, Hester was never going to be a #1 WR like Lovie thought, but he was a serviceable 3rd or 4th WR. He doesn't have the biggest or best hands, and he's certainly not the smartest, but he can run a deep pattern and get under the ball. If you recall correctly, he was severely underthrown and poorly overthrown on a handful of passes when running deep during the "WR experiment"-years. Everyone asking for a speedy WR who can stretch the field and catch 20-30 passes a year should have wanted Hester back. The problem he had was that they tried to turn him into a #1, which he isn't.

He didn't know where to line up on the field (do you not remember this?). Trestman did not want him to play WR or he would have. I trust his judgement with the offense.

He didn't know where to line up on the field (do you not remember this?). Trestman did not want him to play WR or he would have. I trust his judgement with the offense.

I remember. That's why I never really thought the concept of him being a #1 WR made sense. Hell, I went to a game and had a sign that told him which way to run because he kept going backwards. Having said that, if the coaches give him a small number of plays, a small number of routes, and simple responsibilities, I think he could be successful. Give him just the corner, post, and fade. If he works OK with those, maybe add a dig or out route. As soon as he starts to obviously have problems, scale it back to the last thing he did well. The key here is to minimize it since he's going to be a #3 at best, and more likely a #4.

I remember. That's why I never really thought the concept of him being a #1 WR made sense. Hell, I went to a game and had a sign that told him which way to run because he kept going backwards. Having said that, if the coaches give him a small number of plays, a small number of routes, and simple responsibilities, I think he could be successful. Give him just the corner, post, and fade. If he works OK with those, maybe add a dig or out route. As soon as he starts to obviously have problems, scale it back to the last thing he did well. The key here is to minimize it since he's going to be a #3 at best, and more likely a #4.

He was great in his day, but lately there has been to many let the balls drop, fair catches. He never was very good with his decision making, just had the pure speed to take one all the way every so often. He is no longer that person. Offense is to over whelming for him. to much thinking and he gets confused, that is just the way it is.

It is a lot of feast or famine as of late. Every great return usuallymeant, there was one where he let it go or ran backwards.

He was great in his day, but lately there has been to many let the balls drop, fair catches. He never was very good with his decision making, just had the pure speed to take one all the way every so often. He is no longer that person. Offense is to over whelming for him. to much thinking and he gets confused, that is just the way it is.

Trestman, the guy who turned around our offense, did not want him to play WR. It's really that simple.

Trestman, the guy who turned around our offense, did not want him to play WR. It's really that simple.

It's not that simple. It's only that simple for the offense. The D and ST got worse. It's really that simple.