Safeties in the draft

AZ54

I need some feedback from our resident draft gurus. I did a bit of research on safeties in the draft and was surprised to see what appears to be a very thin group this year in terms of talent. I favor the draft analysis at the links below because their player profiles seem to be very accurate when guys get to the next level. If these guys are right, there are a couple prospects at the top and then the drop off is very rapid to day 3. There just doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from between Rd 2/3. This does not seem to be the right year to be going into a draft needing help at both safety positions. Maybe that's why we threw so many bodies at the SS position.

What do our draft experts think about safety talent this year especially in the mid-rounds? Give me some hope because I really don't like the idea of drafting a safety in Rd 1 unless he's an elite talent. None of these guys is an elite talent this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/FS

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/SS

I need some feedback from our resident draft gurus. I did a bit of research on safeties in the draft and was surprised to see what appears to be a very thin group this year in terms of talent. I favor the draft analysis at the links below because their player profiles seem to be very accurate when guys get to the next level. If these guys are right, there are a couple prospects at the top and then the drop off is very rapid to day 3. There just doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from between Rd 2/3. This does not seem to be the right year to be going into a draft needing help at both safety positions. Maybe that's why we threw so many bodies at the SS position.

What do our draft experts think about safety talent this year especially in the mid-rounds? Give me some hope because I really don't like the idea of drafting a safety in Rd 1 unless he's an elite talent. None of these guys is an elite talent this year.

What I dont understand is there listings. Jimmie Ward had 7 int and 10 pass breakups yet they list him in the box type of safety. To me that is a center fielder type(FS).

There are 4 safetys that will start as rookies. HaHa-Pryor-Ward-Bucannon. I wouldnt mind any of them but the more I read about them the more I like Pryor and Ward a little better.

Another sleeper to throw out there is Huff/Wyo he was productive and has some speed.4.38 speed 127 t-2 int-9 PBU.He is listed as a FS ad CB on different sites. Possibly could play either.See him as a 4th or 5th round pick. 6' 195 lbs.Seems more of SS to me, a tackle machine and has some pass defense skills.

I really think we'll only draft a FS, at least fairly high. I think SS is Ryan Mundys job to lose and I'm cool with that, think he'll be solid there. They might take a guy in the later rounds to compete with him but I'd be a little surprised if we took 2 safeties before round 5.

As far as FS goes, I agree with you on the line about not wanting to take 1 in the first. If what Phil said about Conte competing for his job is true then I don't expect them to take a 1R safety. I really like Brooks and Reynolds in the 2R, one of those guys should no doubt be there. I also wonder if the Bears might take a guy like McGill in the 2nd and convert him back into a FS.

Another thing I kinda wonder about is if the Bears are really in on Allen, if they miss out on him do they turn their attention to Clemons? It's still kinda surprises me that he's still out there.

I really think we'll only draft a FS, at least fairly high. I think SS is Ryan Mundys job to lose and I'm cool with that, think he'll be solid there. They might take a guy in the later rounds to compete with him but I'd be a little surprised if we took 2 safeties before round 5.

As far as FS goes, I agree with you on the line about not wanting to take 1 in the first. If what Phil said about Conte competing for his job is true then I don't expect them to take a 1R safety. I really like Brooks and Reynolds in the 2R, one of those guys should no doubt be there. I also wonder if the Bears might take a guy like McGill in the 2nd and convert him back into a FS.

Another thing I kinda wonder about is if the Bears are really in on Allen, if they miss out on him do they turn their attention to Clemons? It's still kinda surprises me that he's still out there.

They got Mundy with the intent of him starting, but at a low salary for two years they would allow a SS to develop as a later pick. If we get Clemons he is a above average safety and doubt if we go safety in the first two rounds. More like a CB and DT.

HaHa Clinton-Dix is elite talent.

HaHa Clinton-Dix is elite talent.

So was Dee Milliner and he struggled a lot last year. Enough that there's plenty of talk of the Jets needing a #1 CB again this year. That's just one season and certainly Milliner can continue to improve but it highlights my concerns over players like Dix who play behind elite talent at the college level. Their mistakes are often covered up and everyone focuses on the highlight plays. Dix can take the risk on a play knowing his Those highlight plays are easier to make because taking the risk on it.

It's not hard to find Dix making the same mistakes Conte makes in coverage, or just being late the ball. OTOH he will make some excellent plays closing fast on the ball. I just see the guy as a good player not elite.

So was Dee Milliner and he struggled a lot last year. Enough that there's plenty of talk of the Jets needing a #1 CB again this year. That's just one season and certainly Milliner can continue to improve but it highlights my concerns over players like Dix who play behind elite talent at the college level. Their mistakes are often covered up and everyone focuses on the highlight plays. Dix can take the risk on a play knowing his Those highlight plays are easier to make because taking the risk on it.

It's not hard to find Dix making the same mistakes Conte makes in coverage, or just being late the ball. OTOH he will make some excellent plays closing fast on the ball. I just see the guy as a good player not elite.

Your points are good, but when I watch the highlights I see a guy with good anticipation, angles, speed, and a pretty good understanding of the defensive alignment. I see nearly none of this when I watch Conte make mistakes (although he's not specifically highlighted). I think as a rookie he'd be an immediate improvement over Conte.

Your points are good, but when I watch the highlights I see a guy with good anticipation, angles, speed, and a pretty good understanding of the defensive alignment. I see nearly none of this when I watch Conte make mistakes (although he's not specifically highlighted). I think as a rookie he'd be an immediate improvement over Conte.

ha totally jacked up that last sentence. Too many revisions on it, or too many beers. :)

ha totally jacked up that last sentence. Too many revisions on it, or too many beers. :)

Hell, I reread it five times and can't figure out what was screwed up. I'll simplify:

Rookie HHCD > Conte, in every possible way.