Are we moving Houston inside to stay??

Ty Nitty

I am wondering if the bears are thinking about this with Young and Allen at end and a Ratliff/ Houston combo at DT. You have Bass, Izzy, and those two no name guys we signed not to mention not giving up on Washington too soon. We only have 3 DTs with Rat, Collins and Pea. I heard Houston was a good dt in college. That would give us the most flexibility in the draft to trade down all though I really like Donald. Thoughts???

If so, who do we draft at 14? I would think we could trade back and get a big body like Nix or stay and get one of the two corners who may both be gone. I am just not a fan of drafting a Saftey at 14 although it has been a vacant lot since the Mike Brown days. I still blame D. Manning for the Superbowl Loss. I wouldn't be upset if we got the kid C.J. Mosley. He would be a plug and play for the next 10 years.

If so, who do we draft at 14? I would think we could trade back and get a big body like Nix or stay and get one of the two corners who may both be gone. I am just not a fan of drafting a Saftey at 14 although it has been a vacant lot since the Mike Brown days. I still blame D. Manning for the Superbowl Loss. I wouldn't be upset if we got the kid C.J. Mosley. He would be a plug and play for the next 10 years.

I am thinking we go S, either Dix or Pryor. Don't be surprised if we take TE Ebron if he is there or Lewan OLT. We will have flexibility to take BPA.

I am wondering if the bears are thinking about this with Young and Allen at end and a Ratliff/ Houston combo at DT. You have Bass, Izzy, and those two no name guys we signed not to mention not giving up on Washington too soon. We only have 3 DTs with Rat, Collins and Pea. I heard Houston was a good dt in college. That would give us the most flexibility in the draft to trade down all though I really like Donald. Thoughts???

No way we are moving Houston to a regular DT for a variety of reasons:

1. You really need 3 regular defensive ends. Last year we started with Peppers, Wootton & Shea. I think you overestimate the value Izzy. At this point he's a nice #4 DE and special teamer. He's not going to be a key contributor. I know we have a ton of DE's on the roster but nobody has really distinguished themself.

2. This sets up nicely for us to draft a DT at #14. I think we stick at #14 and draft Donald or Jernigan. We could possibly draft a safety, but our DT's were historically bad last year and that position holds greater value. I think we take a safety in round 2 or 3.

3. Houston doesn't want to play DT. We may move him inside down the line, but I'm guessing we made certain promises to him before we signed him. It doesn't mean we won't slide him inside on occassion the way we did with Peppers, but but he's our opening day starting DE.

It's gonna be real interesting to see. I'm sure Phil will have a presser after this type of move and we might hear more about just that.

I'm gonna guess no, but have nothing to really base that on other than how highly they talked about Houston as a DE.

Jared hasn't been that good against the run the past few years so I'd like to have him as a situational pass rusher, but then I think maybe they can just throw him on the left side. That puts Briggs, who is good against the run, behind him which would certainly help him against the run.

I kinda doubt Allen wants to be that situational guy so I'm gonna guess Young is that guy.

One things I will bank on is that we will no doubt see Houston moved inside on passing downs. Allen-Houston-Ratliff-Young sounds sexy as funk.

What could be even sexier is Allen-Houston-Donald-Young. I just salivate at the thought of that.

No way we are moving Houston to a regular DT for a variety of reasons:

1. You really need 3 regular defensive ends. Last year we started with Peppers, Wootton & Shea. I think you overestimate the value Izzy. At this point he's a nice #4 DE and special teamer. He's not going to be a key contributor. I know we have a ton of DE's on the roster but nobody has really distinguished themself.

2. This sets up nicely for us to draft a DT at #14. I think we stick at #14 and draft Donald or Jernigan. We could possibly draft a safety, but our DT's were historically bad last year and that position holds greater value. I think we take a safety in round 2 or 3.

3. Houston doesn't want to play DT. We may move him inside down the line, but I'm guessing we made certain promises to him before we signed him. It doesn't mean we won't slide him inside on occassion the way we did with Peppers, but but he's our opening day starting DE.

I see Houston as an Alex Brown / Trace Armstrong type. He can play the left side, while Allen plays the right side. We use Young as a rotational pass rusher, and use all three on passing downs, moving Houston inside in those cases.

I gotta say tho, this pretty much says that we aren't going to be a 3-4 team more than as a special package or something tricky.

I am thinking we go S, either Dix or Pryor. Don't be surprised if we take TE Ebron if he is there or Lewan OLT. We will have flexibility to take BPA.

I will be absolutely furious if the Bears draft a TE in the first round. It would be ludicrous.

I will be absolutely furious if the Bears draft a TE in the first round. It would be ludicrous.

On paper it would be but we just don't know what Trestman wants in his offense. If they take a TE in the first few rounds it's with the intentions of using a lot of2 TE sets. They wouldn't take a guy like Ebron to be the backup TE who rarely plays. They could potentially use the ace formation (2WR/2TE/1RB) as their base offense meaning Ebron would be out there a ton.

I agree that they should still go with a FS and a DT in the first 2 rounds though, unless they like guys who they KNOW they'll be able to grab later on.

On paper it would be but we just don't know what Trestman wants in his offense. If they take a TE in the first few rounds it's with the intentions of using a lot of2 TE sets. They wouldn't take a guy like Ebron to be the backup TE who rarely plays. They could potentially use the ace formation (2WR/2TE/1RB) as their base offense meaning Ebron would be out there a ton.

I agree that they should still go with a FS and a DT in the first 2 rounds though, unless they like guys who they KNOW they'll be able to grab later on.

It would still be ridiculous in the first round. Backup TE, even the second guy in an Ace, is still a luxury behind several other needs. Some of which are desperate needs.

It would still be ridiculous in the first round. Backup TE, even the second guy in an Ace, is still a luxury behind several other needs. Some of which are desperate needs.

I do tend to agree, and do doubt they actually do it. I know you still want Haha and I still want Donald. But lets say both are gone and they can't find a trade partner, where do you go from there?

OT is a strong possibility and I suppose CB is as well(I'm fine with waiting on a CB till the mid rounds this year), but I wouldn't hate to see a TE in this scenario.

If Trestman DOES want another premier TE, and they CAN trade down (hypothetically with the 9ers and getting their 2R pick) I'd love to see....

1R(30)- Nix/Jernigan/Tuitt- Looking at WF Nix was taken at 29 but Jernigan and Tuitt are still there. With the thought that Houston will be moved inside on passing downs I'm ok with taking a guy like Nix or Jernigan who might not be great pass rushers.

2R(51)- Deone Buccanon/Keith McGill/Lamarcus Joyner/Terrance Brooks- I want the FS to have good cover skills, the last 3 have CB experience. McGill might not wanna convert back to safety, and Joyner might be viewed as too small, but Brooks should be a solid fit. Deone might not be as good in coverage but he's showed last year that h's certainly capable.

2R(56 0r 61)- Austin Seferian-Jenkins- Along with being a good receiver he's also said to be a real good blocker, something that Bennett is not. In 2 TE packages they could put Jenkins in line, and Bennett spread out wide.

Except he wouldn't be a backup TE. We'd be playing dual TE's almost full time, similar to what NE has done. How many times this year did we hear, "#62 (Ebon Britton) is reporting as eligible." Christ that was anoying. Instead of a 6th blocker you'd be adding a 2nd TE.

An extra TE is a luxury, but with Allen in the fold, I think it's a luxury we can afford. Similar to when we drafted Hester as a return man in the 2nd round. That's the beauty of what we did today.

Listen, I don't think we should draft him in round #1. Besides the fact we have so many needs, when was the last time a TE drafted in the first round became an elite player? Off the top of my head, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow, Greg Olsen, Heath Miller . . . I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of guys, but they all turned out to be serviceable/good NFL players, but not worthy of a 1st round pick. The best TE's like Gronk, Jason Witten, Tony Gonzalez, Jimmy Graham, none of them were drafted in the first round. With the first round, you hope to take a game changer.

Most importantly, with Allen in the fold, I really feel like we can draft whomever we want to draft. There is no desperation at this point.

Except he wouldn't be a backup TE. We'd be playing dual TE's almost full time, similar to what NE has done. How many times this year did we hear, "#62 (Ebon Britton) is reporting as eligible." Christ that was anoying. Instead of a 6th blocker you'd be adding a 2nd TE.

An extra TE is a luxury, but with Allen in the fold, I think it's a luxury we can afford. Similar to when we drafted Hester as a return man in the 2nd round. That's the beauty of what we did today.

Listen, I don't think we should draft him in round #1. Besides the fact we have so many needs, when was the last time a TE drafted in the first round became an elite player? Off the top of my head, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow, Greg Olsen, Heath Miller . . . I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of guys, but they all turned out to be serviceable/good NFL players, but not worthy of a 1st round pick. The best TE's like Gronk, Jason Witten, Tony Gonzalez, Jimmy Graham, none of them were drafted in the first round. With the first round, you hope to take a game changer.

Most importantly, with Allen in the fold, I really feel like we can draft whomever we want to draft. There is no desperation at this point.

I know I was a supporter of a TE, but signing Allen changed nothing about DT/FS.....But if HaHa and Donald are gone and they can't trade down, that's where I start to consider Ebron....Who some scouts have said might be the best TE in the league right off the bat.

Who some scouts have said might be the best TE in the league right off the bat.

Immediately the best in the league? That's flat out crazy talk. Greg Olsen was getting similar attention going into the drafts and mocks had him going as high as number 8. He fell to the Bears at #31.

As for D-line and safety, the Bears have more draft picks to address that need if they desire. At this point I think we'd be drafting a guy who can challenge or be depth. Not necessarily a starter.

On a side note, this is how bad the Bears defense was/is: who is the best player on the Bears defense right now?

Immediately the best in the league? That's flat out crazy talk. Greg Olsen was getting similar attention going into the drafts and mocks had him going as high as number 8. He fell to the Bears at #31.

As for D-line and safety, the Bears have more draft picks to address that need if they desire. At this point I think we'd be drafting a guy who can challenge or be depth. Not necessarily a starter.

On a side note, this is how bad the Bears defense was/is: who is the best player on the Bears defense right now?

Lance Briggs

Lance Briggs

Even when he was in his prime, Lance wasn't even't the best LB on the team. Not to mention, the last time we saw him he looked fat, slow, and old.

Look, it speaks to how far our defensive has fallen that we are debating Allen vs. Briggs. But on those pre-game shows, they will never high-light Lance Briggs as being the face of the defense.

I do agree that it sounds a little crazy, but that's what I heard.

His highlights look pretty darn good.

I'm def not disagreeing with the thought of drafting a TE early, I was just disagreeing with the last line of your last post. Signing Allen doesn't change the needs at DT?FS.

As for who's the best, I agree that's probably still Briggs, but I really think Houston is gonna give him a run for his money.

There is no way our first round pick is a depth player. We now have a luxury of drafting an impact player with our first pick. If he has his shit together Emery will draft a good if not great player that will contribute his first year and become a blue chip player in the next couple of years.

There is no way our first round pick is a depth player. We now have a luxury of drafting an impact player with our first pick. If he has his shit together Emery will draft a good if not great player that will contribute his first year and become a blue chip player in the next couple of years.

I'm not saying he won't contribute, I'm just saying he won't be an immediate starter/impact player. Aside from safety, name one starting position on this roster that is up for grabs? Maybe DT, but Tommie Harris as a rookie didn't start until mid-season and we have Collins, Paea, Ratliff, and Houston moving inside. Upsets can happen, but it's not easy to unseat the veteran incumbents.

The cool part about signing Allen is that we now have enough depth on the d-line, that our #1 pick doesn't have to be an immediate starter.

I'm not saying he won't contribute, I'm just saying he won't be an immediate starter/impact player. Aside from safety, name one starting position on this roster that is up for grabs? Maybe DT, but Tommie Harris as a rookie didn't start until mid-season and we have Collins, Paea, Ratliff, and Houston moving inside. Upsets can happen, but it's not easy to unseat the veteran incumbents.

The cool part about signing Allen is that we now have enough depth on the d-line, that our #1 pick doesn't have to be an immediate starter.

If we draft a S with our first pick, I think I can guarantee he will be starting in his first year. If we grab Gilbert, he could be starting at slot CB spot. If we grab Donald would absolutely be in the rotation.

Houston is only gonna be moving inside on passing downs (if that). Unless you're comfortable starting Ratliff and Paea, a starting DT is a must. Ratliff/Paea MIGHT not be that bad, but it also might not be that good.