First pick options

Stinger226

With Allen coming here we are now in play for drafting BPA. That could be many different positions to go for.

Donald and Jerrigan are still in play. We have a 32 year old Ratliff as our best DT, enough said.

Gilbert comes in to play. He brings a KR/PR skill that we have no totally addressed yet. Plus he is the highest rated CB.

CJMosley will also be considered. With a one and done Williams our main squeeze at MLB dont discount the potential to take this player.

Offensive player? If he dubs an Ebron/TE or a Cooks/WR as the best player available at our spot,l think he could surprise us with a pick here.

I think we still have many spots to fill, FS,DT,CB, LB he could move down and get more picks.

If we move down I think players like Hageman/DT-Fuller/CB-Ward/FS-Pryor/FS all could come into play.

There is no way we go TE or WR. I doubt we even sniff an Offensive player in the first couple of rounds. The only Offensive player I could see is if one of the OT's fall out of the top 10.

I would love to move down and pick up another pick. My picks are Donald or HaHa.

There is no way we go TE or WR. I doubt we even sniff an Offensive player in the first couple of rounds. The only Offensive player I could see is if one of the OT's fall out of the top 10. I would love to move down and pick up another pick. My picks are Donald or HaHa.

We will have a handful of options and I'd rather not trade down unless our top targets are taken. I would rank them in this order:

Aaron Donald DT- Disruptive defensive lineman that will pressure the QB from inside and disrupt run plays.

HaHa Cinton-Dix FS- Centerfielder, has great range and can cover TE/Slot WRs. Has a nose for the run, even though he is not so much the enforcer as say Pryor. Closer to an Earl Thomas FS.

Timmy Jernigan DT - Stout DT, a little more flexible on positions he can line up at. Not as explosive as Donald and conditioning could be an issue.

Calvin Pryor FS - Pryor is the hard hitting S that would put fear in WR's. Has same speed as HHCD, but not as fluid. His height checked in a couple of inches shorter than what they listed him at.

I really don't get why signing Allen all of a sudden makes us able to go BPA? Nothing has changed at DT/FS. Maybe if we signed Clemons instead of Allen that could be something you could say, but signing another DE didn't change anything from Tuesday till now.

The way I see it is 2 days ago we possibly needed to draft a DE in the 3/4 round (IMO), and today we don't. DT is still a huge need that you can't ignore to take a BPA.

Right now, for me, it's Donald/HaHa or trade down. If they can't trade down then I might think about an OT or CB (I changed my tune on Ebron just because he can't block, we don't need a WR, I want an inline guy).

I really don't get why signing Allen all of a sudden makes us able to go BPA? Nothing has changed at DT/FS. Maybe if we signed Clemons instead of Allen that could be something you could say, but signing another DE didn't change anything from Tuesday till now.

Because we added a regular full time pass rusher that will be your d-line leader and possibly the best player on the line. It gives us the flexibility to move Houston inside on 3rd and long. That changes a ton. Sure the safety position has not changed, but I get the impression they believe Conte will be a good player with a decent line and we seem to be high on Ryan Mundy.

The way I see it is 2ssibly needed to draft a DE in the 3/4 round (IMO), and today we don't. DT is still a huge need that you can't ignore to take a BPA.

Jared Allen is old, Izzy is a one year guy, Young has a lot more to prove, and Houston might eventually become a full time defensive tackle. We can still definitely use help at DE. Chances are, Donald or HaHa will be the best player available and be there when we pick. But we have one helluva a lot more flexibility after the Allen signing.

Just because Houston can and probably will move inside on passing downs doesn't mean we can trot out question marks in Ratliff and Paea for running downs.

It's nice we got a pass rush, and adding Houston really helps the run defense, but he alone doesn't fix that. The only way I'm taking "BPA" not named Aaron Donald or Haha Clinton Dix is if they can't trade down....And even then I'd still probably go Jernigan/Nix/Hageman who wouldn't be BPA.

There is no way we go TE or WR. I doubt we even sniff an Offensive player in the first couple of rounds. The only Offensive player I could see is if one of the OT's fall out of the top 10.

I would love to move down and pick up another pick. My picks are Donald or HaHa.

Agreed 100%.

The way I see it is 2 days ago we possibly needed to draft a DE in the 3/4 round (IMO), and today we don't. DT is still a huge need that you can't ignore to take a BPA.

Right now, for me, it's Donald/HaHa or trade down. If they can't trade down then I might think about an OT or CB (I changed my tune on Ebron just because he can't block, we don't need a WR, I want an inline guy).

I think Emery will see it that way, Im all in on Donald or one of the safeties. Our line is Houston-Ratliff-Paea-Allen with Idonije,Young. Collins,and the rest of the DEs we have. Houston will see snaps inside as well as Idonije. I am stating BPA with the first round pick. If we pass on Donald, I think we may have a idea to pick Quarles,Jones,Johnson,Hageman,Ferguson, Bromley,and Reid at a latter round. Safeties after the first round will be possibly Ward,Bucannon,Bailey,Brooks, and Exum. I think if he decides that there is a stud there any position other than QB and RB, he could possibly take him.

OT-If one of the top 3 drop he would have to consider taking one. Mills was considered as performed well for a 5th round pick, but the truth is he was very good.

WR-After thinking about if more the only way we would take one in the first round is if Watkins dropped and that is highly unlikely.

TE-If Emery thinks Ebron is the second coming of J. Graham, I totally think he could take him.

DE-I dont see anyway we go that direction unless Clownery drops.

DT-As I stated I think the top 2 are still in play, but there is also 2nd and 3rd day options.

LB- Briggs is in his last year,Williams is a one and done. We are grooming Bostic to take Lances place, so the middle is still a big need.

CB-Everybody is old.

S- Stongly believe this is the leader in our first option but there is options in the first and second rounds.

Just because Houston can and probably will move inside on passing downs doesn't mean we can trot out question marks in Ratliff and Paea for running downs.

I can't argue too hard with that. We've loaded up on DE's and we haven't really addressed the DT spot. I think we pretty much know Donald and or Jernigan will be available and we'll be happy with that.

It's nice how forthcoming Phil Emery is. He says he wants to fix the o-line. He fixes the o-line. He says he wants to fix the d-line, and we've made huge strides. He said we want to get younger on defense . . . that we still need to accomplish.

Let me ask you this: is there any indication that he or the Bears thinks that drafting a safety is a first round priority? There's no doubt in my mind we will draft one early, but I don't think it will happen in round #1. Defensive tackle is a glaring need and there will be damn good ones available.

I still think it is DT / LB / CB (all before safety). Even though I think our safeties suck, I think the other positions are all more important as a whole.

Question: In Phil Emery's first draft he essentially took a linebacker with the #1 pick. In his 2nd draft, he took linebackers in rounds #2 (Bostic) and #4 (Green). Do you really think he'd go back to the well at #1 seeing what he's done the past two years?

Aside from that, I agree with you. There's going to be some damn good safeties available with our 2nd round pick.

Question: In Phil Emery's first draft he essentially took a linebacker with the #1 pick. In his 2nd draft, he took linebackers in rounds #2 (Bostic) and #4 (Green). Do you really think he'd go back to the well at #1 seeing what he's done the past two years?

Aside from that, I agree with you. There's going to be some damn good safeties available with our 2nd round pick.

In his first draft, he took a DE who busted. 4th round picks are picks that you try to hit on. I agree that he took a linebacker with his 2nd round pick. Plenty of teams draft Dlinemen every single draft within the first few rounds, doens't mean you don't continue to take in the future. Reality is Bears have one linebacker who has proven much anything (including health and even he was hurt late last year) and that is briggs.

DJ Williams has had trouble staying on the field the past few years. Bostic is a potential piece still, who should not be considered a bust. Who the hell knows what Shea is and whether he can even play OLB. HE busted in one spot and we are now seeing if he can somehow pan out elsewhere. He was not a 1st round pick as a linebacker.

Or are you merely saying he doesn't have any vision / ability to draft LB's?

I can't argue too hard with that. We've loaded up on DE's and we haven't really addressed the DT spot. I think we pretty much know Donald and or Jernigan will be available and we'll be happy with that.

It's nice how forthcoming Phil Emery is. He says he wants to fix the o-line. He fixes the o-line. He says he wants to fix the d-line, and we've made huge strides. He said we want to get younger on defense . . . that we still need to accomplish.

Let me ask you this: is there any indication that he or the Bears thinks that drafting a safety is a first round priority? There's no doubt in my mind we will draft one early, but I don't think it will happen in round #1. Defensive tackle is a glaring need and there will be damn good ones available.

There hasn't been any indication on who/what they'll draft whatsoever, there never is....There has kinda been indication that they might wait with the whole "Conte will compete for the job comment". I've been saying all offseason that I think they will/can wait on S so ya I'm actually kinda with you on that, but not DT. DT is a spot I'd be ok with "reaching" to grab vs going BPA.

And what I mean by that(assuming Donald is gone) is right now Nix is being projected in the 20-30 range, Timmy Jernigan is being talked about as a late 1st early 2nd round pick, same with Hageman, none of those guys would be BPA, but I'd still probably draft any of them over a guy who might be the BPA.

As for the whole LB talks...I just can't imagine they don't give Bostic another shot with a better D around him....That shot MAY be at SAM, but I'd be a little shocked if he was on the bench. As I said in the other thread he was apparently really good in coverage, and that's huge, lets get some guys that can actually stop/slow down the run in front of him and see where he's at then.

There hasn't been any indication on who/what they'll draft whatsoever, there never is....There has kinda been indication that they might wait with the whole "Conte will compete for the job comment". I've been saying all offseason that I think they will/can wait on S so ya I'm actually kinda with you on that, but not DT. DT is a spot I'd be ok with "reaching" to grab vs going BPA.

And what I mean by that(assuming Donald is gone) is right now Nix is being projected in the 20-30 range, Timmy Jernigan is being talked about as a late 1st early 2nd round pick, same with Hageman, none of those guys would be BPA, but I'd still probably draft any of them over a guy who might be the BPA.

As for the whole LB talks...I just can't imagine they don't give Bostic another shot with a better D around him....That shot MAY be at SAM, but I'd be a little shocked if he was on the bench. As I said in the other thread he was apparently really good in coverage, and that's huge, lets get some guys that can actually stop/slow down the run in front of him and see where he's at then.

Bostic will start off this offseason at Will, Briggs came back too early from his injury and will be limited. If his condition isn't 100%, he will not hesitate to sit out since he will be a FA after the season. I do not want to Mosely, but I like Skov in Rd2-3.

Bostic will start off this offseason at Will, Briggs came back too early from his injury and will be limited. If his condition isn't 100%, he will not hesitate to sit out since he will be a FA after the season. I do not want to Mosely, but I like Skov in Rd2-3.

Where are you hearing this?

I'm not a fan of any of the LBs this year,...If I had to take someone it'd be Christian Jones in the 3rd.

Ya, I searched for the the article on it....I think he'll he fine. Season is still months away

The only real issue is how much the injury prevents him from training and getting himself in as good of shape as possible. The older you are the more important it is to stay and be in tip-top shape. We still need a lot of youth at the position. I don't know that you can peg a 4th rounder to be a regular starter (you want to grab a starter every other type year with those type of picks and get a guy that will be a valuable depth guy), so they still have a need to add more talented youth to the LB corps (again…unless Emery is really high on Shea on the outside). If he is, and you buy into the fact that he likes Bostic outside, then it probably means you focus on MLB. But you do have flexibility with Bostic.

I fully expect safety play to improve with a pass rush and better line. And oh by the way, with a better rush d, the safeties can stay out of the box and be in better positions to defend the pass as well. I hope Conte gets his shit back together cause he looked like a real nice safety two years ago. I really don't see us using a first rounder on safety. I could very well see Dennard coming in. I love the idea of a trade down if we like Jernigan / Donald and think we can get one of them later and add in another 2nd round pick (or so). That would be huge.

Because we added a regular full time pass rusher that will be your d-line leader and possibly the best player on the line. It gives us the flexibility to move Houston inside on 3rd and long. That changes a ton. Sure the safety position has not changed, but I get the impression they believe Conte will be a good player with a decent line and we seem to be high on Ryan Mundy.

The way I see it is 2ssibly needed to draft a DE in the 3/4 round (IMO), and today we don't. DT is still a huge need that you can't ignore to take a BPA.

Jared Allen is old, Izzy is a one year guy, Young has a lot more to prove, and Houston might eventually become a full time defensive tackle. We can still definitely use help at DE. Chances are, Donald or HaHa will be the best player available and be there when we pick. But we have one helluva a lot more flexibility after the Allen signing.

I also agree that while Conte had an overall bad season I believe it's too early to give up on him. He needs to workout with bmarsh and company and get tougher mentally as he seemed too be around the ball but was constantly making mental mistakes. You could see mid season that his confidence was down and he was thinking not reacting instinctively. With that said I want the top rated defensive player that projects as a day one starter. We can not afford to draft on potential high ceiling guys that don't have a sure position with experience and success at the college level.

Ya, I searched for the the article on it....I think he'll he fine. Season is still months away

There is nothing defined on it, and probably wont come in to play, but he was injured in Oct and it hasnt completely healed yet. 6 months is a long time to have an injury linger, definitely something to monitor going forward. He was cleared to come back when he played the last few games. He played like shit, thats not the Briggs we want on the field.

I also agree that while Conte had an overall bad season I believe it's too early to give up on him. He needs to workout with bmarsh and company and get tougher mentally as he seemed too be around the ball but was constantly making mental mistakes. You could see mid season that his confidence was down and he was thinking not reacting instinctively. With that said I want the top rated defensive player that projects as a day one starter. We can not afford to draft on potential high ceiling guys that don't have a sure position with experience and success at the college level.

I think not only a starter but an impact player is needed. Whether that be Donald, HaHa, or Gilbert, its only our opinions Emery has proved he doesnt draft according to popular opinion. I think he could suprise us with a Fuller/CB, Ward/FS or a Hageman/DT. Chances are we are surprised again this year.