middle backer

Guest TerraTor

As a 3rd or 4th, why not. Until I see a definite starter/leader, we should keep trying for one.

I like Bostic'spotential. But until he shows more than jsut potential...I have no problem at minimum getting depth in or LB corps that is sorely lacking.

Are you ready to just dump Bostic already, or do you just not see him as a MLB? Dude was a rookie last year playing behind one of the worst DLs of all time...maybe he should be cut a little slack.

He showed no indications of being an above average player. Again, not saying it won't happen but he was awful. Development happens but if you found someone else (and we are talking about a 3rd or 4th round anyway so it should be BPA all the way) that is a better fit you do that. Plus, the Bears have been pretty clear that they don't see him as an MLB so I think they saw enough of him last year to realize he can't handle that.

The PFF guy on soxtalk just posted that Bostic had the best pass defense rating of any MLB in the NFL....."Best since vintage Urlacher"

When playing cover 2 that's a real important thing you need in an MLB.

The only way he sees MLB again is by injuries. He will move outside this year and next year be slotted in Briggs place when he is gone. To be rated that high on pass defense rating and be that bad in run defense, that shows you how statistics can cloud how good someone is , he is a long way away.

The only way he sees MLB again is by injuries. He will move outside this year and next year be slotted in Briggs place when he is gone. To be rate that high on pass defense rating and be that bad in run defense, that shows you how statistics can cloud how good someone is , he is a long way away.

Emery said Bostics problems were correctable. Mostly his read/react times were slow, that will improve with experience. He looked much better in preseason and I think his head just had too much going on and the pressure kept increasing. I think year two at MLB will be a better one.

Emery said Bostics problems were correctable. Mostly his read/react times were slow, that will improve with experience. He looked much better in preseason and I think his head just had too much going on and the pressure kept increasing. I think year two at MLB will be a better one.

He is competing for the SLB job but with news of Briggs still not recovered from shoulder injury, he may be playing WLB out of the block.

Ya, here's the quote....

“Where Jon has struggled this year is in terms of being in the middle is the instantaneous in terms of read and react and searching through blocks in flow,” GM Phil Emery said. “He can improve dramatically in that going into his second season. I just said that from his skill set, some day — that may not be this year, it may be in the future — might be best on the outside to take advantage of the skill sets that he has.

The bold part tells me he's not just competing at SLB. He never closed the door on MLB at all.

Ya, here's the quote....

“Where Jon has struggled this year is in terms of being in the middle is the instantaneous in terms of read and react and searching through blocks in flow,” GM Phil Emery said. “He can improve dramatically in that going into his second season. I just said that from his skill set, some day — that may not be this year, it may be in the future — might be best on the outside to take advantage of the skill sets that he has.

The bold part tells me he's not just competing at SLB. He never closed the door on MLB at all.

Good stuff and great quote. I would agree my beef was how non-instinctual he was. Given the speed and transition of the NFL, you would expect quite a bit of improvement in year two and if that was the primary concern, it is ultimately something that can be better. Also, extremely interesting that he ranked so strongly in pass coverage. I think the loss of Briggs and the fact that everything fell on him did put him in a pretty damn difficult position.

Bostic will be a very good pro. He has good athleticism, is physical and his father played in the nfl so he has some bloodlines as well. Jon showed flashes in the preseason and also got a cool nickname "boom Bostic" from the vets. Maybe he will end up on the outside ultimately and I'm okay with that as long as he can step up this year and start being solid contributor.

Ya, here's the quote....

They didnt bring Williams back to be a backup. We need depth at the position and right now he is penciled in as the starter. That could change going forward, but I think the possibility exists we draft a MLB in one of the early rounds whether you like it or not.If he thinks Mosely is an impact player and we move back he would be a good valve in the end of the first round.

They didnt bring Williams back to be a backup. We need depth at the position and right now he is penciled in as the starter. That could change going forward, but I think the possibility exists we draft a MLB in one of the early rounds whether you like it or not.If he thinks Mosely is an impact player and we move back he would be a good valve in the end of the first round.

Williams is hard to count on also, he hasn't played a full season since 2010. I don't think any positions are given yet and training camp will sort that out. As for drafting a MLB, I do think we will need one, but it's not a high priority this year IMO. Right now, we have Bostic, Briggs, Franklin, Senn, Williams, Greene, Wilson and McClellin all in the LB mix. Washington might even get see some time if we use a 3-4 rush OLB in part of our scheme.

I like Bullough. Also, I'd like to see if SMC can be Url 2.0. I think he has those attributes. Also like to seed Briggs traded on draft day.

If we could get a second or third round pick for him I would love to see him move on...but then, I would love to see him gone period.

I like Bullough. Also, I'd like to see if SMC can be Url 2.0. I think he has those attributes. Also like to seed Briggs traded on draft day.

If we could get a second or third round pick for him I would love to see him move on...but then, I would love to see him gone period.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like it, I just don't see it happening. That quote from Emery pretty much solidifies my thought. I think he'll get every chance to win the MLB spot next year. Like I've said in the past, the way I see it is Bostic, SMC, and Williams are all competitng for 2 spots. Williams has done nothing to be handed the spot. That's just my opinion on the scenario.

Mosely also has injury concerns that are said to be "very very real".

I'm not saying I wouldn't like it, I just don't see it happening. That quote from Emery pretty much solidifies my thought. I think he'll get every chance to win the MLB spot next year. Like I've said in the past, the way I see it is Bostic, SMC, and Williams are all competitng for 2 spots. Williams has done nothing to be handed the spot. That's just my opinion on the scenario.

Mosely also has injury concerns that are said to be "very very real".

IMO I think they think MLB is a need position. Williams is just a one and done. Bostic is being groomed to take over Briggs spot, a highly important spot in our defense. Briggs is a good football player but think he is a tool I would have no problem if they moved on with out him. I think Bostic will be a good player just dont see it at MLB.

LB in general is still a position of need. The Bears were a joke in the running game. It started up front and funneled all the way back through the safeties. They've got their line back to where it was supposed to be last year prior to injuries. Last years rookies need to step up, and they need a solid prospect at MLB even if Williams fills the role. The comments on Bostic sounded more like we may have to use him there this year, but it's really not our long term plan for him.

That said, the addition of JA and resigning of Tillman have me optimistic on a defense I had no hope for this year. I'm excited for the draft and wondering who the fudge Emery just drafted in the first round.