Interesting article on who the Bears will draft

Stinger226

Eh, maybe that's more on mock drafts and the talent evaluators who put those round grades on them. In both cases we heard about other teams who were planning on drafting SMC and Long with their picks in the first.

I also think Emery loves his Senior Bowl prospects and puts a lot of stock in how those guys look there....and there wasn't a better prospect at the Senior Bowl than Aaron Donald.

I think it is hard to predict how the draft would have played out. Pre draft talk isnt worth crap on drafting positions players are actually drafted, we will never know. Draft is a crap shoot anyways, first round is 50% bust.

Eh, maybe that's more on mock drafts and the talent evaluators who put those round grades on them. In both cases we heard about other teams who were planning on drafting SMC and Long with their picks in the first.

Most teams were scouting McCellin as a 3-4 OLB, not as a 4-3 DE. I don't know if there was any team outside of the Bears who viewed him as a 1st round 4-3 DE. Most of the mocks I saw had Long as a 2nd round grade because of his inexperience and age. Whether you want to agree with that or not, the fact remains almost nobody saw those picks coming. The only predictable thing about Phil Emery is that he doesn't go along with the popular opinion.

I also think Emery loves his Senior Bowl prospects and puts a lot of stock in how those guys look there....and there wasn't a better prospect at the Senior Bowl than Aaron Donald.

Perhaps. I just don't see him taking a D-Lineman in the first. They have a greater need at the safety position, and most really good ones go in the 1st round. I also think the Bears are trying to get away from the Lovie Smith cover 2 defense. They don't necessarily need the small/fast 3 technique DT anymore. Both Houston and Ratliff are capable of playing that position in a 4-3 anyways, as well as being strong enough to anchor a nose tackle position in a 3-4.

Most teams were scouting McCellin as a 3-4 OLB, not as a 4-3 DE. I don't know if there was any team outside of the Bears who viewed him as a 1st round 4-3 DE. Most of the mocks I saw had Long as a 2nd round grade because of his inexperience and age. Whether you want to agree with that or not, the fact remains almost nobody saw those picks coming. The only predictable thing about Phil Emery is that he doesn't go along with the popular opinion.

Perhaps. I just don't see him taking a D-Lineman in the first. They have a greater need at the safety position, and most really good ones go in the 1st round. I also think the Bears are trying to get away from the Lovie Smith cover 2 defense. They don't necessarily need the small/fast 3 technique DT anymore. Both Houston and Ratliff are capable of playing that position in a 4-3 anyways, as well as being strong enough to anchor a nose tackle position in a 3-4.

IMO, I think he is going to trade down and grab a Hageman or Truitt. Both are bigger, can play multi positions, and athletic. I want a playmaker on defense,CB,DT, S or LB, I dont really care long has he hits on it.

He is a little bit of a hipster. You could probably say he reaches for needs. In the short sample size I don't think it's a lock he'll take a guy who's being talked about as a 2nd rounder, that's the part I think is silly.

I believe it's already been said they'll be a 1 gap front so you don't really run out those big DTs, you still want that penetrating force that Donald brings unlike anyone in the draft. Houston isn't gonna play there every down, and Ratliff is old, hasn't done anything in 3 or 4 years, and is injury prone. I wouldn't absolutely hate to see him there but I think not upgrading DT would kinda be half assing it as far as fixing the DL goes.....Last year we saw pretty much a total rehaul on the OL and I think we see the same thing this year.

I wouldnt hate to see them go safety in the first at all but I really think Donald is more of a game changer. I really think he's the next Geno Atkins/Kyle Williams/Jurrell Casey who are all 6'1" and have a combined 33.5 sacks in their last 3 full years.

He is a little bit of a hipster. You could probably say he reaches for needs. In the short sample size I don't think it's a lock he'll take a guy who's being talked about as a 2nd rounder, that's the part I think is silly.

I believe it's already been said they'll be a 1 gap front so you don't really run out those big DTs, you still want that penetrating force that Donald brings unlike anyone in the draft. Houston isn't gonna play there every down, and Ratliff is old, hasn't done anything in 3 or 4 years, and is injury prone. I wouldn't absolutely hate to see him there but I think not upgrading DT would kinda be half assing it as far as fixing the DL goes.....Last year we saw pretty much a total rehaul on the OL and I think we see the same thing this year.

I wouldnt hate to see them go safety in the first at all but I really think Donald is more of a game changer. I really think he's the next Geno Atkins/Kyle Williams/Jurrell Casey who are all 6'1" and have a combined 33.5 sacks in their last 3 full years.

I think Donald will be a stud, but I think we are not saying-what we would do-but what we think Emery would do. I think he will first try to trade down and Donald wont be there. I think he might want a bigger guy, more from a durability issue. He just thinks he might hold up longer. I have never read where Donald was great with his run defense, so he may valve that in the equation.

I think Donald will be a stud, but I think we are not saying-what we would do-but what we think Emery would do. I think he will first try to trade down and Donald wont be there. I think he might want a bigger guy, more from a durability issue. He just thinks he might hold up longer. I have never read where Donald was great with his run defense, so he may valve that in the equation.

I get that that's what you guys think he'll do but I just think that's a little silly. Are we really going to go into every year saying we aren't gonna take the best player available at a position of need because he's kinda done it before?

As far as his run defense, I posted an article rotoworld wrote up and by their metrics Donald was the 2nd best run defender in the draft. He's an all around prospect and one who's going to be great in this league for a long long time.

Durability shouldn't really be a concern IMO.Dude is 285 pounds and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bulk up to 290-300 pounds by the time he takes his first snap in the NFL. Being a few inches shorter doesn't make you less durable IMO. If you're worried about durability with him you're worried about every DT in the draft. A guy like Tuitt who is 6'6" 304 is probably about as evenly distributed weight wise as a 6'1" 285 Donald, Donal could actually be a little bulkier.

I get that that's what you guys think he'll do but I just think that's a little silly. Are we really going to go into every year saying we aren't gonna take the best player available at a position of need because he's kinda done it before?

As far as his run defense, I posted an article rotoworld wrote up and by their metrics Donald was the 2nd best run defender in the draft. He's an all around prospect and one who's going to be great in this league for a long long time.

Durability shouldn't really be a concern IMO.Dude is 285 pounds and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bulk up to 290-300 pounds by the time he takes his first snap in the NFL. Being a few inches shorter doesn't make you less durable IMO. If you're worried about durability with him you're worried about every DT in the draft. A guy like Tuitt who is 6'6" 304 is probably about as evenly distributed weight wise as a 6'1" 285 Donald, Donal could actually be a little bulkier.

We are going off of other peoples views has to the rating of players. Your saying our opinion is silly, but your opinion is ok. We are basically saying what we like and hope Emery feels the same, we have no idea what his board looks like. I am a big production guy when it comes to players and Donald is the bomb, but I dont know that Emery thinks the same way. By his two first drafts, has not followed what other people think. By the small sample size we have of his drafting, I am saying I think he probably goes a different direction that Donald.?Why? He has stated he wants to trade down and acquire more picks. That means Donald wont last until the end of first round. He wants longer and bigger players, Donald does not fit that mold. So by those statements I think he will trade back and someone like Truitt, Hageman, and even a Nix is possible, when healthy he's an oak tree.(almost impossible to move). He could go with the back end of the defense first with S or CB. That means Gilbert, Dennard, even Fuller is in play. Safeties with HaHa, Pryor, and even Ward could be the way he goes. If he trades back Fuller and Ward would still be available. I think your silly to say Donald is his only choice at 14.

Well we shall certainly see in about a month. If Phil sees DT as the biggest need, and Donald is there I just don't see how he passes on Donald who has really separated himself from the pack of other DTs. He talked about length at DE, which is needed to get around the edge, you don't necessarily need that same length at DT.

Well we shall certainly see in about a month. If Phil sees DT as the biggest need, and Donald is there I just don't see how he passes on Donald who has really separated himself from the pack of other DTs. He talked about length at DE, which is needed to get around the edge, you don't necessarily need that same length at DT.

I think shorter is an advantage with leverage. I dont think everybody Donald rated as the top DT. I put more stock in the sites that have former pro scouts. Two come to mind Our Lads and Draft countdown.They both have Nix ranked a head of Donald. I agree with you, D is a stud, but unfortunately GMs dont ask our opinion.