Bears sign center

Connorbear

This is very good, I have been pining for it. With NOs jacking him around they pissed him off, so he signs here. He is the center of the future and gives us depth at OG with Garza being able to move there if we have an injury. I suspect with Garza's age, sometime this year Brian takes over the center position, starting.

LOL, we posted at exactly the same time, so I deleted mine, no need for a duplicate.

Interesting addition, so who starts? Garza or Brian?

The SCORE is reporting that de la Puente will be a backup behind Garza.

Although, you feel at some point we will move Kyle Long to RT. This probably has nothing to do with that . . . but it could.

I don't think DeLaPuente is the center of our future because I think we are over-rating his abilities. If the Bears felt that way they could have given him a longer contract with a bump in salary next year. The lack of interest he had in the FA market says a lot IMO. Most teams felt better seeing what they could get in the draft rather than sign him. Its likely after the draft was done some team that didn't draft a C would have offered something.

He is a good 1yr option to backup Garza and rather than wait around he chose to come back to the coach who helped him become a starter in the league. Probably not a bad idea for him. For the Bears perspective I love the signing.

1) We know the team isn't that high on Boggs, confirming what most here thought anyway.

2) DeLaPuente should be sufficient enough as a backup OC that Garza can now be considered as part of our backup OG options.

I think we have our top 8 for the final roster:

Britton, Long, Slausson at OG

Garza, DeLaPuente, at OC. Boggs on the roster to compete as well but likely a practice squad candidate.

Bushrod, Mills, and Brown at OT. Joe Long on the roster as well to compete but likely a practice squad candidate.

3) We need one more body to compete at OG but this removes drafting OG/C as a need. We can still add one late in the draft if the right player is there, a UDFA, or find a vet min type to compete in camp. We have more flexibility to draft defense but really opens the door on drafting both a QB and RB in the mid-to-late rounds. I like that.

I don't think DeLaPuente is the center of our future because I think we are over-rating his abilities. If the Bears felt that way they could have given him a longer contract with a bump in salary next year. The lack of interest he had in the FA market says a lot IMO. Most teams felt better seeing what they could get in the draft rather than sign him. Its likely after the draft was done some team that didn't draft a C would have offered something.

He is a good 1yr option to backup Garza and rather than wait around he chose to come back to the coach who helped him become a starter in the league. Probably not a bad idea for him. For the Bears perspective I love the signing.

1) We know the team isn't that high on Boggs, confirming what most here thought anyway.

2) DeLaPuente should be sufficient enough as a backup OC that Garza can now be considered as part of our backup OG options.

I think we have our top 8 for the final roster:

Britton, Long, Slausson at OG

Garza, DeLaPuente, at OC. Boggs on the roster to compete as well but likely a practice squad candidate.

Bushrod, Mills, and Brown at OT. Joe Long on the roster as well to compete but likely a practice squad candidate.

3) We need one more body to compete at OG but this removes drafting OG/C as a need. We can still add one late in the draft if the right player is there, a UDFA, or find a vet min type to compete in camp. We have more flexibility to draft defense but really opens the door on drafting both a QB and RB in the mid-to-late rounds. I like that.

He isnt a top10 center but he is in the next tier of centers. A little above average.For now he is a better backup than Boggs, but is 28 with 44 games starting. Familiar with the system and I definitely see him being our next starting center after Garza is done.

For those PFF supporters, he was the 12th ranked center last year.

Funny exchange regarding the subject.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Pete/status/452918660836122624

If DLP's PFF grade is so much higher than Garza's, and Trestman supposedly considers that source, then how is DLP a backup? Furthermore, if he's so much better than Garza, and one of the top 5, then how didn't he sign with another team as a starter?

Like others, I think he's the C for the future. And depending on how Mills progresses, or how early (if) the Long switch happens, he could be the Center this year.

Although, I'm not sure which I'd rather see:

Bushrod - Slausson - DLP - Garza - Long

--OR--

Bushrod - Slausson - Garza - Long - Mills

What this really means is, Roberto Garza better put up a huge year. Because he's an UFA next year, and he's going to get dumped like others Bears from the previous regime if he doesn't perform like a pro-bowler.

Funny exchange regarding the subject.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Pete/status/452918660836122624

If DLP's PFF grade is so much higher than Garza's, and Trestman supposedly considers that source, then how is DLP a backup? Furthermore, if he's so much better than Garza, and one of the top 5, then how didn't he sign with another team as a starter?

Like others, I think he's the C for the future. And depending on how Mills progresses, or how early (if) the Long switch happens, he could be the Center this year.

Although, I'm not sure which I'd rather see:

Bushrod - Slausson - DLP - Garza - Long

--OR--

Bushrod - Slausson - Garza - Long - Mills

I think you're looking to much into that tweet.

Garza LAST YEAR was better 7.2 vs 4.0, so there's that. Teams could also view him as a product of that Saints system where Brees gets the ball out quickly, the consistently threw out extra lineman to help, and he had 2 pro bowl guards around him.

I'm not sure Garza has the mobility to to play guard in this system. They'd go from a highly athletic guard who was great at getting out and pulling to a 35 year old Garza. I think Longs mobility is vital on that line....I think they stick with what they put out there last year.

Wasn't this the guy that people wanted to give up a 2nd round pick for last year? Funny how a year changes things..

Ha, this is true. I think this shows just how much of an impact Kromer makes. In 2012 Garza was god awful and DLP was fantastic. In 2013 DLP wasn't the same player and Garza had a better year than he did.

Ha, this is true. I think this shows just how much of an impact Kromer makes. In 2012 Garza was god awful and DLP was fantastic. In 2013 DLP wasn't the same player and Garza had a better year than he did.

I think he is better than average and was basically promised the job with a contract in another year. I think as the year goes on, Garza wears down and toward the end of the year we see DLP take over.

I think he is better than average and was basically promised the job with a contract in another year. I think as the year goes on, Garza wears down and toward the end of the year we see DLP take over.

Maybe. I like the fact we are viewing him as sort of a ultra back-up. I get the impression that if anybody is injured at guard or center, he's our guy.