Backup QB

AZ54

NFL Network's Charles Davis says Pitt's Tom Savage would be a good fit for the Bears.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000034...-groom-young-qb

I don't know much about this guy except he couldn't handle the heat here in AZ. I watched the video clip about him and they mentioned him going in Rd 3. CBS draft board has him as a 5th Rd pick. I think we go QB in 4-5th Rd so Savage is a guy who should be on our radar.

NFL Network's Charles Davis says Pitt's Tom Savage would be a good fit for the Bears.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000034...-groom-young-qb

I don't know much about this guy except he couldn't handle the heat here in AZ. I watched the video clip about him and they mentioned him going in Rd 3. CBS draft board has him as a 5th Rd pick. I think we go QB in 4-5th Rd so Savage is a guy who should be on our radar.

haha. Check out new Walter football mock I just posted.

I still kinda wanna wait a year or 2, or 3 on a rookie QB. Jay is here for 3 years (at least), rookies are signed for 4. If we wait a year (or 2, or 3) then that gives us more time to reap the benefits of have a QB who's making nearly nothing.

Gimme Freeman/Grossman/Kolb/Garrard/Flynn

I still kinda wanna wait a year or 2, or 3 on a rookie QB. Jay is here for 3 years (at least), rookies are signed for 4. If we wait a year (or 2, or 3) then that gives us more time to reap the benefits of have a QB who's making nearly nothing.

I prefer the rookie approach for a variety of reasons:

1) Cheaper

2) Doesn't come in with as many built-in problems to fix

3) More prone to accept the backup role and not sulk about it

4) Isn't trying to win a starting job

5) More likely to accept teaching

If Trestman is the QB-whisperer that he appears to be, then I hope he drafts one he thinks fits perfect into his plan. Given last year (e.g. Cutler vs McCown), I'd say that type of QB is a smart, football-savvy manager with anticipation, a good (not great) arm, and the ability to read a defense and take what yields the highest success percentage with minimal risk. It's probably why I'm so high on guys like AJ McCarron.

I've seen enough of the veteran QBs you listed and nobody interests me. If we went there the two I'd be ok with are Freeman and Grossman. Freeman is a two year rehab project if at all.

Grabbing a rookie isn't always downside. Many teams have done so, used them as a backup and then traded them after 3 years for a very good draft pick. If he turns out to be the guy you keep him and move on from Cutler….who you could also trade away especially as his contract is written he will be very affordable in the 4th year of his contract.

I've seen enough of the veteran QBs you listed and nobody interests me. If we went there the two I'd be ok with are Freeman and Grossman. Freeman is a two year rehab project if at all.

Grabbing a rookie isn't always downside. Many teams have done so, used them as a backup and then traded them after 3 years for a very good draft pick. If he turns out to be the guy you keep him and move on from Cutler….who you could also trade away especially as his contract is written he will be very affordable in the 4th year of his contract.

I think if Freeman went through training camp with the team, actually got to build a rapport with the receivers, and learn the playbook he'd fine coming out of camp. If Cutler went down he's the guy I'd feel most confident with. He was a budding star before Shiano got his hands on him, put in the right situation he'd be fine.

I don't see drafting a rookie as a downside whatsoever, I'm just kinda thinking outside the box.

I think if Freeman went through training camp with the team, actually got to build a rapport with the receivers, and learn the playbook he'd fine coming out of camp. If Cutler went down he's the guy I'd feel most confident with. He was a budding star before Shiano got his hands on him, put in the right situation he'd be fine.

I don't see draft a rookie as a downside whatsoever, I'm just kinda thinking outside the box.

More importantly, the Bears are an extremely desirable team for a back-up QB. Especially after McCown when from being out of the league to signing a big money deal. The back-up knows that:

1. Cutler is likely to miss games

2. He'll be playing for an offensive coach and be throwing to the best WR tandem in the league

3. He can sign for the veteran minimum for one year, then make a big splash in free agency the following year

For a late round talent whose weaknesses seem like a perfect fit for Trestman's coaching strengths consider Logan Thomas. Lots of upside and the base talent, size, arm strength, accuracy when mechanics are right, is there to succeed in the NFL. For as much attention as we've given Jordan Lynch I have to think Thomas is also on our radar.

http://draftbreakdown.com/the-case-for-logan-thomas/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...93/logan-thomas

Inconsistent footwork and mechanics are a big reason for his erratic passing, struggling to reset his lower body when moved from his spot. Needs to stay balanced through his delivery. Suspect field vision and questionable passing instincts. Needs to speed up his eyes use and decipher his reads quicker.

If a rookie comes in and doesnt get much playing time, how is he going to be getting a good contract 4 years later?

I think the backup strategy will come down to whether the team expects Cutler to play every game, or if they see him as injury prone. If it is the former, than I can see them going the rookie route. If they view him as injury prone, then I can see them bringing in a vet who can come in and be serviceable.

For a late round talent whose weaknesses seem like a perfect fit for Trestman's coaching strengths consider Logan Thomas. Lots of upside and the base talent, size, arm strength, accuracy when mechanics are right, is there to succeed in the NFL. For as much attention as we've given Jordan Lynch I have to think Thomas is also on our radar.

http://draftbreakdown.com/the-case-for-logan-thomas/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...93/logan-thomas

Inconsistent footwork and mechanics are a big reason for his erratic passing, struggling to reset his lower body when moved from his spot. Needs to stay balanced through his delivery. Suspect field vision and questionable passing instincts. Needs to speed up his eyes use and decipher his reads quicker.

He was a QB I looked into some since he matched up with some criteria that fit Trestman.

The #1 thing Trestman will look at is accuracy and decision making, he doesnt fit that.

His accuracy is because of bad footwork, that can be worked on. His quickness and decision making can improve with condfidence. He is very raw because he was recruited as a TE in college. Didn't play the position until 2010. I think he is perfect to groom. He is also durable and played 40 straight games.

His accuracy is because of bad footwork, that can be worked on. His quickness and decision making can improve with condfidence. He is very raw because he was recruited as a TE in college. Didn't play the position until 2010. I think he is perfect to groom. He is also durable and played 40 straight games.

I suspect you say those things about any recruit, but I was just going by things Ive read.

I suspect you say those things about any recruit, but I was just going by things Ive read.

Not at all, only ones I take some liking to. I have him flagged bc Trestman or Emery mentioned something about the ideal QB is 6'5". This kid is 6'6" and would need a lot of work, so I wouldn't take him with our first 5 picks.