Fanspeak Mock Drafts

jason

I've seen lots of the Fanspeak mock drafts, and sometimes they seem worthwhile. Other times, however, there are ridiculous scenarios like a top 5 guy slipping to the Bears at 14. I'm just not sure they're reliable enough to be a valuable tool. I did three, with varying approaches, just to see the results.

Draft #1 (S First, BPA > need)

14 S HAHA CLINTON-DIX ALABAMA

51 DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY FLORIDA

82 CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY FLORIDA

117 DT ANTHONY JOHNSON LSU

156 G JON HALAPIO FLORIDA

183 RB DE'ANTHONY THOMAS OREGON

191 S VINNIE SUNSERI ALABAMA

Review: I didn't intend to go so heavy with SEC, but that's how it worked out. I'd like this draft a lot. HHCD would start day 1, and think either Easley or Johnson could thrive. Purifoy likely starts in 2015. Halapio is a monster with upside, could fit well when/if Long moves. DAT was too fast to pass here. Sunseri is a coach's kid who makes smart plays.

Draft #2 (DT first, BPA > need)

14 DT AARON DONALD PITTSBURGH

51 DE STEPHON TUITT NOTRE DAME

82 CB STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE NEBRASKA

117 RB DRI ARCHER KENT STATE

156 ILB KHAIRI FORTT CALIFORNIA

183 S JONATHAN DOWLING WESTERN KENTUCKY

Review: Very different draft. I didn't want to start with Donald then Tuitt, but that's too good to pass up. SJB has great size for a DB. Archer could contribute immediately as a 3rd down guy. Fortt isn't great, but has skills. Dowling is a very interesting prospect at FS - big, rangy, has swagger (and potential character issues). Sunseri - see above. I didn't like taking FS so late, but I tried something different based upon what some of you guys have said.

Draft #3 (Athletes)

51 G XAVIER SU'A-FILO UCLA

82 LB CHRISTIAN JONES FLORIDA STATE

156 CB WALT AIKENS LIBERTY

191 DE BEN GARDNER STANFORD

Review: HHCD is a given. If Su'a Filo drops this far I will shit. That's a must have at that point. Christian Jones could be the next MLB of the future; he's an athletic freak. Speaking of "Freak," that's actually Anthony Johnson's nickname at LSU. He could be exciting. Walt Aikens has good CB size, and has potential. DAT is a given in an athlete draft. Ben Gardner, well, he looks like Jared Allen, and sounds like Jared Allen. He's my new late-round crush for that reason alone.

Not sure which one I like the best.

I have mixed feelings about all 3.

#2 obviously starts out as my favorite since it starts with my favorite player in the draft, but then I don't like waiting that long to address FS (though I do like Dowling).

#1 I'm cool with, but I'm not passing on Donald if he was there. There's not a person in this draft (yes even Clowney) that I'm taking over Donald.

#3 again, not passing on Donald (who's twice the "Freak" Johnson is). I don't hate the idea of taking Filo and understand the logic of moving Long to OT but with other needs I'd rather wait a year.

I'd go with....

1R- Aaron Donald DT Pitt- My favorite player in the draft. Allen-Houston-Donald-Young on passing downs should be absolutely lethal.

2R- Deone Buccanon S WSU- I believe he's versatile enough to man either safety position.

3R- Daquan Jones DT PSU- Big body to man the 1 tech next to Donald. They should be a real good duo for years to come.

4R- Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood- Really love what I saw out of him at the Senior Bowl, he may be a bit raw but has huge upside IMO.

5R- Dontae Johnson FS/CB NC St.- Drafting him as a FS, wanted a guy at FS who is good in coverage, I got that. Will compete with Mundy.

6R- Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford- Tough in between the tackles runner with good hands and great at protecting the passer. Excellent size to carry the load

6R- Colt Lyerla TE Oregon- Huge talent who's worth taking a risk on. If he puts his past behind him he'd be a HUGE steal ala Marquess Wilson last year.

I've seen lots of the Fanspeak mock drafts, and sometimes they seem worthwhile. Other times, however, there are ridiculous scenarios like a top 5 guy slipping to the Bears at 14. I'm just not sure they're reliable enough to be a valuable tool. I did three, with varying approaches, just to see the results.

Draft #1 (S First, BPA > need)

51 DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY FLORIDA

82 CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY FLORIDA

156 G JON HALAPIO FLORIDA

Review: I didn't intend to go so heavy with SEC, but that's how it worked out. I'd like this draft a lot. HHCD would start day 1, and think either Easley or Johnson could thrive. Purifoy likely starts in 2015. Halapio is a monster with upside, could fit well when/if Long moves. DAT was too fast to pass here. Sunseri is a coach's kid who makes smart plays.

Draft #2 (DT first, BPA > need)

14 DT AARON DONALD PITTSBURGH

51 DE STEPHON TUITT NOTRE DAME

82 CB STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE NEBRASKA

117 RB DRI ARCHER KENT STATE

156 ILB KHAIRI FORTT CALIFORNIA

183 S JONATHAN DOWLING WESTERN KENTUCKY

Review: Very different draft. I didn't want to start with Donald then Tuitt, but that's too good to pass up. SJB has great size for a DB. Archer could contribute immediately as a 3rd down guy. Fortt isn't great, but has skills. Dowling is a very interesting prospect at FS - big, rangy, has swagger (and potential character issues). Sunseri - see above. I didn't like taking FS so late, but I tried something different based upon what some of you guys have said.

Draft #3 (Athletes)

51 G XAVIER SU'A-FILO UCLA

82 LB CHRISTIAN JONES FLORIDA STATE

156 CB WALT AIKENS LIBERTY

191 DE BEN GARDNER STANFORD

Review: HHCD is a given. If Su'a Filo drops this far I will shit. That's a must have at that point. Christian Jones could be the next MLB of the future; he's an athletic freak. Speaking of "Freak," that's actually Anthony Johnson's nickname at LSU. He could be exciting. Walt Aikens has good CB size, and has potential. DAT is a given in an athlete draft. Ben Gardner, well, he looks like Jared Allen, and sounds like Jared Allen. He's my new late-round crush for that reason alone.

Not sure which one I like the best.

I like your second draft the best because of the names, Truitt would be hard to pass up if there in the second. I believe if we trade back, he could be a target.

It is hard to say how realistic these would be, but they are simply fun.

I think Truitt and Donald would end up playing the same position with Truitt being able to move outside, but we have 3 good players there now and dont see that happening.

I have mixed feelings about all 3.

#2 obviously starts out as my favorite since it starts with my favorite player in the draft, but then I don't like waiting that long to address FS (though I do like Dowling).

#1 I'm cool with, but I'm not passing on Donald if he was there. There's not a person in this draft (yes even Clowney) that I'm taking over Donald.

#3 again, not passing on Donald (who's twice the "Freak" Johnson is). I don't hate the idea of taking Filo and understand the logic of moving Long to OT but with other needs I'd rather wait a year.

I'd go with....

1R- Aaron Donald DT Pitt- My favorite player in the draft. Allen-Houston-Donald-Young on passing downs should be absolutely lethal.

2R- Deone Buccanon S WSU- I believe he's versatile enough to man either safety position.

3R- Daquan Jones DT PSU- Big body to man the 1 tech next to Donald. They should be a real good duo for years to come.

4R- Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood- Really love what I saw out of him at the Senior Bowl, he may be a bit raw but has huge upside IMO.

5R- Dontae Johnson FS/CB NC St.- Drafting him as a FS, wanted a guy at FS who is good in coverage, I got that. Will compete with Mundy.

6R- Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford- Tough in between the tackles runner with good hands and great at protecting the passer. Excellent size to carry the load

6R- Colt Lyerla TE Oregon- Huge talent who's worth taking a risk on. If he puts his past behind him he'd be a HUGE steal ala Marquess Wilson last year.

There are a lot of things to like about that draft. Our inherent difference is would be .... Although Jones in the 3rd would be a steal, I still think we will address MLB in 3rd or 4th round AND...because Donald is such a great prospect,I think he will be gone.

I think we trade down and grab some extra picks. Towards the bottom of the first round our options wll be Pryor(hopeful but probably not likely) Ward comes into play down there. Fuller/CB comes in to play down there. Truitt/DT/DE could easily be our pick. And down there is some of those names are gone, Mosely could come up if left on board.

Havent did FanSpeak for a while so heres mine:THIS IS WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN

trade with SF(Gilbert is on board) so they trade for 14th pick ----30TH-2nd round,3rd round 7 th round

1st----Truitt/DT/DE-he is athletic-big-quick-versatile- big upside

2nd-a-Bucannon/S- best safety on board - will start his first year

2nd-b-P. Gaines/CB-the more I read about him the more I like him -6'-4.38 speed-4 ints senior year

3rd-a-Carlos Hyde/RB- a capable backup with future #1 status

3rd-b-CJ Fiedorowicz/TE- a capable #2 TE

4th----Smallwood/MLB-Athletic-ties to Paul P.-productive player

5th----Coleman/DT- a NT prospect

6th-a--Savage/QB- a prospect to nurture

6th-b--Huff/S/CB--a productive, fast prospect

this is how it played out, I covered all our needs with the extra picks.

There are a lot of things to like about that draft. Our inherent difference is would be .... Although Jones in the 3rd would be a steal, I still think we will address MLB in 3rd or 4th round AND...because Donald is such a great prospect,I think he will be gone.

I think we trade down and grab some extra picks. Towards the bottom of the first round our options wll be Pryor(hopeful but probably not likely) Ward comes into play down there. Fuller/CB comes in to play down there. Truitt/DT/DE could easily be our pick. And down there is some of those names are gone, Mosely could come up if left on board.

Havent did FanSpeak for a while so heres mine:THIS IS WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN

trade with SF(Gilbert is on board) so they trade for 14th pick ----30TH-2nd round,3rd round 7 th round

1st----Truitt/DT/DE-he is athletic-big-quick-versatile- big upside

2nd-a-Bucannon/S- best safety on board - will start his first year

2nd-b-P. Gaines/CB-the more I read about him the more I like him -6'-4.38 speed-4 ints senior year

3rd-a-Carlos Hyde/RB- a capable backup with future #1 status

3rd-b-CJ Fiedorowicz/TE- a capable #2 TE

4th----Smallwood/MLB-Athletic-ties to Paul P.-productive player

5th----Coleman/DT- a NT prospect

6th-a--Savage/QB- a prospect to nurture

6th-b--Huff/S/CB--a productive, fast prospect

this is how it played out, I covered all our needs with the extra picks.

We shall see about LB, we're 6 deep at LB right now if you include the ST guy we got from the Panthers. I just don't see it as an early need, but we obviously won't agree on that.....As for Smallwood, I liked him up until the combine....Dude ran a 5.01 40, that doesn't really fit the mold of the guys Phil has brought in here at LB (Williams 4.45, Bostic 4.61, Greene 4.71 are all pretty fast).

I'd love to trade down though, esp if Donald is gone. This draft is hella deep so the more picks the better. No way I pass on Donald though if he's there.

We shall see about LB, we're 6 deep at LB right now if you include the ST guy we got from the Panthers. I just don't see it as an early need, but we obviously won't agree on that.....As for Smallwood, I liked him up until the combine....Dude ran a 5.01 40, that doesn't really fit the mold of the guys Phil has brought in here at LB (Williams 4.45, Bostic 4.61, Greene 4.71 are all pretty fast).

I'd love to trade down though, esp if Donald is gone. This draft is hella deep so the more picks the better. No way I pass on Donald though if he's there.

Williams and Briggs arent spring chickens and Bostic will be playing Briggs spot sometime this year and in the future.So I think we need another body at MLB

Here is my BEARS, Trade up early and then trade back later to get more picks in the Draft:

Obviously its not very realistic but was a very fun exercise nonetheless.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/premium/draft.php?d=sgznsb

DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY

S HA HA CLINTON-DIX

DT RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN

CB KEITH MCGILL

ILB JORDAN ZUMWALT

QB A.J. MCCARRON

DT KELCY QUARLES

S JONATHAN DOWLING

ILB MAX BULLOUGH

TE COLT LYERLA

TE MARCEL JENSEN

WR T.J. JONES

Here is my BEARS, Trade up early and then trade back later to get more picks in the Draft: Obviously its not very realistic but was a very fun exercise nonetheless. http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/premium/draft.php?d=sgznsb 5 DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY 19 S HA HA CLINTON-DIX 51 DT RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN 72 CB KEITH MCGILL 90 ILB JORDAN ZUMWALT 122 QB A.J. MCCARRON 148 DT KELCY QUARLES 156 S JONATHAN DOWLING 166 ILB MAX BULLOUGH 183 TE COLT LYERLA 191 TE MARCEL JENSEN 237 WR T.J. JONES

Umm, yeah. Looks like we traded our future first round picks for the next 3 years, but I'd take those guys.

Here is my BEARS, Trade up early and then trade back later to get more picks in the Draft:

Obviously its not very realistic but was a very fun exercise nonetheless.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/premium/draft.php?d=sgznsb

DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY

S HA HA CLINTON-DIX

DT RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN

CB KEITH MCGILL

ILB JORDAN ZUMWALT

QB A.J. MCCARRON

DT KELCY QUARLES

S JONATHAN DOWLING

ILB MAX BULLOUGH

TE COLT LYERLA

TE MARCEL JENSEN

WR T.J. JONES

Thats going for the extra yard there, I love to dream and that site helps achieve that goal.

Williams and Briggs arent spring chickens and Bostic will be playing Briggs spot sometime this year and in the future.So I think we need another body at MLB

That remains to be seen, I'll be a little shocked and disappointed if Briggs starts the year on the DL. Don't count out Greene yet either, he was a monster in college and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him become a starter at some point. He drew comps to Briggs but there was also talks about him being able to play in the middle.

I get your logic, and I wouldn't hate to see a LB, but I'd prefer we see what we have in Bostic and to a lesser extent Greene(and a lesser lesser extent SMC as well).

That remains to be seen, I'll be a little shocked and disappointed if Briggs starts the year on the DL. Don't count out Greene yet either, he was a monster in college and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him become a starter at some point. He drew comps to Briggs but there was also talks about him being able to play in the middle.

I get your logic, and I wouldn't hate to see a LB, but I'd prefer we see what we have in Bostic and to a lesser extent Greene(and a lesser lesser extent SMC as well).

Its not that they are a waste, but with Williams, Briggs being gone next year,and who knows about SMC, we need some more bodied with potenial to man those spots.