Draft parties

CrackerDog

I think I've mentioned this in the past too. The NFL has really screwed up. Making this a prime time event may draw them extra cash but I seriously doubt it's made their fans happier. What do you guys think? I used to have a Saturday party with multiple buddies coming over, shrimp on the BBQ, ribs, beer... It was an all day affair! A real tradition to kick off the start of spring. Now the first round is being held on the ferkin' Thursday night! Idiots.

Some things are best left alone.

I think I've mentioned this in the past too. The NFL has really screwed up. Making this a prime time event may draw them extra cash but I seriously doubt it's made their fans happier. What do you guys think? I used to have a Saturday party with multiple buddies coming over, shrimp on the BBQ, ribs, beer... It was an all day affair! A real tradition to kick off the start of spring. Now the first round is being held on the ferkin' Thursday night! Idiots.

To late for that now, will do something constructive while listening to our draft picks on the SCORE(works for me)

I like it better this way. There are more days to enjoy it. Talk about it. Analyze it. When it's all in one day, there isn't as much to digest. Now when the first round is over, I have a flurry of emails from friends talking about which team screwed up, what each team should do the following day, etc.

And, on top of that, it's extra money for the networks.

I like it better this way. There are more days to enjoy it. Talk about it. Analyze it. When it's all in one day, there isn't as much to digest. Now when the first round is over, I have a flurry of emails from friends talking about which team screwed up, what each team should do the following day, etc.

And, on top of that, it's extra money for the networks.

No surprise there. :)

I liked it better as an "event" because one of our group was a Vikings fan and there were 2 years in a row when they busted on getting their first pick up to the podium in time. You just can't buy that kind of entertainment! I miss Tice...

No surprise there. :) I liked it better as an "event" because one of our group was a Vikings fan and there were 2 years in a row when they busted on getting their first pick up to the podium in time. You just can't buy that kind of entertainment! I miss Tice...

I do miss the all day affair and then waking up on Sunday to finish out a few more rounds. What was also fun was the chat room seemed to be full almost the entire time. Now it's usually just a few minutes before the selection and then gone.

I prefer the Sat all day...we did the same. Made a big rib-fest out of it.

12th...?

I had to break my own rule and look it up because I thought it was double digits too. He was drafted in the 8th round which obviously doesn't currently exist. It just goes to show you how important those UDFA pickups could potentially be. Although I think scouting is so much more advanced now that the best 100 players are probably gone in the first 150 picks. Obviously Tom Brady and dozens of other examples show that not to be 100% true but I think teams are better prepared, in general, to get to the best talent quickly.

I knew it was after the 7th! And just went for more!

I had to break my own rule and look it up because I thought it was double digits too. He was drafted in the 8th round which obviously doesn't currently exist. It just goes to show you how important those UDFA pickups could potentially be. Although I think scouting is so much more advanced now that the best 100 players are probably gone in the first 150 picks. Obviously Tom Brady and dozens of other examples show that not to be 100% true but I think teams are better prepared, in general, to get to the best talent quickly.

Richard Dent and Mark Clayton WR (Miami) were both drafted in the 8th rd of the 83 draft. AS for his teammates that were either UDFAs or later round picks. Les Frazier, Gary Fencik, Doug Plank and in the same round as Dent, Mark Bortz.

Yeah, and like you I bitch about this every year. I've accepted that it won't ever change. The Thursday night is huge for ratings and advertising dollars. More importantly for the NFL, it brings in the average fan who wouldn't waste and entire day following the draft.

I now spend it in my garage man-cave chatting on here, watching ESPN, and listening to the SCORE. It's not as good . . . but it's still good.

Agreed. Since I'm in Cali, I just head to the bar near the office and catch the draft with some co-workers. Then I jet after the bears pick and analysis thereof...

After a few wings and brews...not the same as a Flintstones pile of ribs and drinks w/o work the next day. But it's better than a kick in the shins.

Yeah, and like you I bitch about this every year. I've accepted that it won't ever change. The Thursday night is huge for ratings and advertising dollars. More importantly for the NFL, it brings in the average fan who wouldn't waste and entire day following the draft.

I now spend it in my garage man-cave chatting on here, watching ESPN, and listening to the SCORE. It's not as good . . . but it's still good.

• 4 weeks later...

These extra weeks until the draft are killing me. I'm sure I'm like this every year, but my productivity at work is running on empty and I'm just wandering around in a daze. Can't we fast forward to Thursday night already?

These extra weeks until the draft are killing me. I'm sure I'm like this every year, but my productivity at work is running on empty and I'm just wandering around in a daze. Can't we fast forward to Thursday night already?

It's all down hill now, Blackhawks tonight anyways!

My draft night will be at the Crazy Beaver, having a late dinner and a couple of drinks with fellow Bear friends.