Weems reportedly accepts paycut

lemonej

smart move. he wouldnt have made more than the minimum anywhere else at this point, so he ends up $100k richer for the workout bonus he keeps here. Plus I think he sees the direction this team is heading. We have a contender here folks.

I was hoping he would leave because when he is on the field it seems he is seconds away from a flag being thrown and unless he composes himself I'm not happy he is still here. BTW I did'nt like him whe he waswith the Falcons,

I dont get it? We need to just have a gunner on ST? We need the roste spot for better players.

I dont get it? We need to just have a gunner on ST? We need the roste spot for better players.

He's currently by far the most accomplished return man on the roster. I'm hoping we can do better, but we could do one helluva a lot worse. I know there's a lot of love for Chris Williams right now, but you have to be skeptical of any player none of the other 32 NFL teams wanted on their active roster last season.

Ideally we draft a corner who can be our nickel back and have Hester-like talent. Until that happens, I'm happy as hell with the depth Weems brings to our return game.

He's currently by far the most accomplished return man on the roster. I'm hoping we can do better, but we could do one helluva a lot worse. I know there's a lot of love for Chris Williams right now, but you have to be skeptical of any player none of the other 32 NFL teams wanted on their active roster last season.

Ideally we draft a corner who can be our nickel back and have Hester-like talent. Until that happens, I'm happy as hell with the depth Weems brings to our return game.

He was fighting a legal battle to win his freedom from the CFL. Once that was settled he ended up with the Saints mid-season.

---------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Williams_(wide_receiver)

However, almost 3 months later on August 29, 2013, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice over-ruled the decision of the independent arbitrator, declaring Williams is not bound to any contractual obligations with the Tiger-Cats, making him a free agent in the view of the CFL Players Association. The CFL has announced that they will appeal the decision.[8]

On October 2, 2013 the Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced that Williams was free to sign with any NFL team, but they would reserve his CFL rights through the 2014 CFL season.[9]

New Orleans Saints[edit]

On October 3, 2013, he was signed by the New Orleans Saints. The move came just one day after he was granted free agency.[10]

--------------------------------------------

We signed him to our active roster for the last week of the season forcing the Saints to either put him on their active roster for the playoffs or let him go. I don't have high hopes for the guy but beating out Weems for a roster spot is not a high bar either.

He was fighting a legal battle to win his freedom from the CFL. Once that was settled he ended up with the Saints mid-season.

---------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Williams_(wide_receiver)

However, almost 3 months later on August 29, 2013, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice over-ruled the decision of the independent arbitrator, declaring Williams is not bound to any contractual obligations with the Tiger-Cats, making him a free agent in the view of the CFL Players Association. The CFL has announced that they will appeal the decision.[8]

On October 2, 2013 the Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced that Williams was free to sign with any NFL team, but they would reserve his CFL rights through the 2014 CFL season.[9]

New Orleans Saints[edit]

On October 3, 2013, he was signed by the New Orleans Saints. The move came just one day after he was granted free agency.[10]

--------------------------------------------

We signed him to our active roster for the last week of the season forcing the Saints to either put him on their active roster for the playoffs or let him go. I don't have high hopes for the guy but beating out Weems for a roster spot is not a high bar either.

Thanks for the info! Good stuff.

What you said about high hopes, the beat writers start to get bored and begin doing these types of interest stories on the next great thing. I'm thinking last year at this time someone wrote a story about how Cheta showed potential and was ready to take the next step as a disruptive pass rusher. He had a forgettable season and today he was cut.

Most of these stories have bad endings. How many undrafted guys have the Bears had that came out of nowhere to have an impact that spans over multiple seasons? Rashied Davis was a nice #3 WR in a group of really bad WR's. I'm struggling to think of memorable non-drafted players.

Even Devin Hester, the man with no position, was touted as a possible first round draft pick when he came out.

Thanks for the info! Good stuff.

What you said about high hopes, the beat writers start to get bored and begin doing these types of interest stories on the next great thing. I'm thinking last year at this time someone wrote a story about how Cheta showed potential and was ready to take the next step as a disruptive pass rusher. He had a forgettable season and today he was cut.

Most of these stories have bad endings. How many undrafted guys have the Bears had that came out of nowhere to have an impact that spans over multiple seasons? Rashied Davis was a nice #3 WR in a group of really bad WR's. I'm struggling to think of memorable non-drafted players.

Even Devin Hester, the man with no position, was touted as a possible first round draft pick when he came out.

Good points. This just reinforces the concept of JA and Lovie being a horrible duo in regards to drafting and developing talent. You'd think at least ONE UDFA would have made a significant, positive impact greater than Rashweed Davis.