Starting the draft with two DTs

jason

Lots of mocks have the Bears getting Donald or Jernigan in the first. Most of us are fine with that. But what if there is another guy there in the second. Maybe Hageman or Tuitt? Would you be fine with that?

I think I would simultaneously dislike it while being excited about it. It's a definite gamble, but it's one of those gambles that has a decent chance of paying off. You could place bets in multiple places, but sometimes you just have to put your money in one place and let it ride.

Lots of mocks have the Bears getting Donald or Jernigan in the first. Most of us are fine with that. But what if there is another guy there in the second. Maybe Hageman or Tuitt? Would you be fine with that?

I think I would simultaneously dislike it while being excited about it. It's a definite gamble, but it's one of those gambles that has a decent chance of paying off. You could place bets in multiple places, but sometimes you just have to put your money in one place and let it ride.

I will not mind anything, as long as they draft talent. I'm betting we will draft a CB early, despite having more pressing needs.

To me the 2nd DT pick would have to be BPA, and I doubt a DT is BPA at that point. If we draft a DT in the first, our need for DT becomes the 4th-7th need on the team at that point behind S, CB, LB, and possibly TE, OL, QB.

Now I can see us taking another DT in the 1st or 2nd next year, but I highly doubt we go that route in one draft and completely pass on S or CB in the first 2 rounds.

To me the 2nd DT pick would have to be BPA, and I doubt a DT is BPA at that point. If we draft a DT in the first, our need for DT becomes the 4th-7th need on the team at that point behind S, CB, LB, and possibly TE, OL, QB. Now I can see us taking another DT in the 1st or 2nd next year, but I highly doubt we go that route in one draft and completely pass on S or CB in the first 2 rounds.

One thing I don't understand is how Tuitt is considered a second round player. Compare his game numbers and combine results with any of the other prospects and he is a top 3 or 4 DT. Early mocks had him in the top half on draft boards too. Even when Nix was lost for most of the season, Tuitt still played well despite being the target on the line. If he makes it to round two, Emery better get on the phone.

Jason suggesting passing on a S in the first 2 rounds broke the interwebs!!!

Really though, I wouldn't hate it one bit. Especially when you consider the comments from Emery about wanting to talk extension to Conte and that he will compete for his job. That may just be smoke and mirrors, but if true I can see them waiting till the 3/4r to draft a S. I also would prefer they wait a little bit on CB as well. CB is incredibly deep this year so they can grab a guy like Walt Aikens, Rashaad Reynolds, or Chris Davis(who could also compete with Williams/Weems/Hixon/Ford as a returner) in the 4th.

Since my last comment in the other thread I kinda fell in love with the idea of Nix/Tuitt in the 1st and 2nd, and I say that as a Notre Dame hater. I know it was at a collegiate level, but look how good those 2 made Manti T'eo look at MLB. With their size I can see that translating a bit and making Bostic (Or DJ, and yes I see one of those being the MLB) look much much better.

I of course only want that to happen if Donald is gone, I'm simply not passing on him if he's there.

In the scenario above I'd be totally happy with....

1R- Nix

2R- Tuitt

3R- Terrance Brooks

4R- Rashaad Reynolds

Allen-Nix-Tuitt-Houston is gonna be awfully tough to run on, then Allen-Tuitt-Houston-Young should give OLs a lot of trouble in pass defense.

You keep Reynolds in the slot next year and draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round and boom, you're golden.

One thing I don't understand is how Tuitt is considered a second round player. Compare his game numbers and combine results with any of the other prospects and he is a top 3 or 4 DT. Early mocks had him in the top half on draft boards too. Even when Nix was lost for most of the season, Tuitt still played well despite being the target on the line. If he makes it to round two, Emery better get on the phone.

The draft is just that deep with talent this year. I heard someone on NFL network say you're gonna be getting 1st round talent in the 2nd and 2nd round talent in the 4th. Bears picked a good year to have so many needs on defense.

I mean just looking at the 5th round of the WF mock I see guys like Ju'waun James, Lamin Barrow, Antone Exum, Terrance Mitchell, Kelcy Quarles, 3 really good centers and a Heisman Trophy candidate.....

This draft, at least on paper, is just FILLED with talent.

That's exactly what spurred this thought. I didn't want to give it away completely, but I've seen more than one mock where Tuitt falls to the Bears or past them in the 2nd. That would be a no-brainer in my mind, even if the Bears were to grab Jernigan or Donald in the first. He's a stud, and adding him in the second would be a coup.

I'd be fine with that.

Shotgun theory...keep shooting and you're bound to hit something.

One of the two is bound to be a hit. If 2 can be, then even better. Then hope for a find in the 3rd for the secondary.

In all honesty, I really don't care what the first 2 picks are. I just know they should be on D, unless an epic offensive lineman falls to us.

Read the other thread and posted before reading this. Yes, I'm fine with going DT with our first two picks if that is how the talent stacks up. Two years to fix the D and we can't really shore up all the holes without completely ignoring the offense. I think ignoring a backup RB and TE would be huge mistake and we must have a backup QB.

I am not sure I would be thrilled with two DT's...we have Ratliffe and Peau, either of which could be solid, and Newton as a solid backup. Hmmm.....

I have been more and more convinced that an elite safety would be nice. CB I just cannot see taking in the early rounds....

Of course, if there is a great find anywhere, then take him. No more McLellans though...

I am not sure I would be thrilled with two DT's...we have Ratliffe and Peau, either of which could be solid, and Newton as a solid backup. Hmmm.....

I have been more and more convinced that an elite safety would be nice. CB I just cannot see taking in the early rounds....

Of course, if there is a great find anywhere, then take him. No more McLellans though...

I haven't heard of any player you just mentioned ;)

Ratliff and Paea COULD be solid, but they could also be simply average. I'd prefer they noth be part of a rotation, though I wouldn't absolutely hate to see either start at NT.

Collins, who I believe is who you were referring too when you said Newton, is still just a huge question mark to me. He's shown flashes but I'm not sure I'd rely on him.

Allen is not getting any younger, I wanna see him on a dominate DL.

I really think Mundy will be a solid SS, and Emery seems to like Conte, so while I wouldn't hate HHCD or Pryor one bit I think Emery goes DT in the first....Where he goes in the 2nd might depend on who's there, if Tuitt or Hageman are there like Jason suggests I'm not sure you can pass on them for a guy like Ed Reynolds or Deone Bucannon who might be just as good as Terrance Brooks who you can get in the 3rd.

At this point, looking at the WF mock (which has Donald going 12th) I'm locked in on

Nix-Tuitt-Brooks-Rashaad Reynlods

as my first 4 picks...They then go QB/RB/TE in some order to close out the draft.

I haven't heard of any player you just mentioned ;)

Ratliff and Paea COULD be solid, but they could also be simply average. I'd prefer they noth be part of a rotation, though I wouldn't absolutely hate to see either start at NT.

Collins, who I believe is who you were referring too when you said Newton, is still just a huge question mark to me. He's shown flashes but I'm not sure I'd rely on him.

Allen is not getting any younger, I wanna see him on a dominate DL.

I really think Mundy will be a solid SS, and Emery seems to like Conte, so while I wouldn't hate HHCD or Pryor one bit I think Emery goes DT in the first....Where he goes in the 2nd might depend on who's there, if Tuitt or Hageman are there like Jason suggests I'm not sure you can pass on them for a guy like Ed Reynolds or Deone Bucannon who might be just as good as Terrance Brooks who you can get in the 3rd.

At this point, looking at the WF mock (which has Donald going 12th) I'm locked in on

Nix-Tuitt-Brooks-Rashaad Reynlods

as my first 4 picks...They then go QB/RB/TE in some order to close out the draft.

Haha, you got me...damn. What can I say.

I would think that either Ratliff or Paea will turn out to be above average....and either could be excellent.

Collins AKA Newton is good enough for a backup, and who knows, maybe he will work out in the off season and decide he wants to be above average...

That being said, a great guy at DT would always be a welcome addition...

But equally, a wonderful safety, like Pryor, would be a long-term investment too.

I would not spend too much on RB or TE...they are a dime a dozen IMO.

QB? Yes, if Trestmann really likes someone...

Apologies for the spelling errors etc...what can I say?

Haha, you got me...damn. What can I say.

I would think that either Ratliff or Paea will turn out to be above average....and either could be excellent.

Collins AKA Newton is good enough for a backup, and who knows, maybe he will work out in the off season and decide he wants to be above average...

That being said, a great guy at DT would always be a welcome addition...

But equally, a wonderful safety, like Pryor, would be a long-term investment too.

I would not spend too much on RB or TE...they are a dime a dozen IMO.

QB? Yes, if Trestmann really likes someone...

Apologies for the spelling errors etc...what can I say?

Lol no biggy on the spelling errors, just given you shit like I do Stinger. Gladly you can take a joke.

I have no problem going safety in the first, and am certainly not saying you're wrong in your desires for one. It makes total sense. With the comments from Emery about Conte though I kinda question whether he feels the same about going safety early. Same with what he said about the depth at CB.

That all very well could just be GM BS though.

While all the DTs we currently have do have some potential upside, they could also all potentially flop.

Maybe DT in the first 2 rounds might be far fetched, even if Tuitt is there, but I'd certainly like to see them draft 2 in the first 4 rounds.

Lol no biggy on the spelling errors, just given you shit like I do Stinger. Gladly you can take a joke.

I have no problem going safety in the first, and am certainly not saying you're wrong in your desires for one. It makes total sense. With the comments from Emery about Conte though I kinda question whether he feels the same about going safety early. Same with what he said about the depth at CB.

That all very well could just be GM BS though.

While all the DTs we currently have do have some potential upside, they could also all potentially flop.

Maybe DT in the first 2 rounds might be far fetched, even if Tuitt is there, but I'd certainly like to see them draft 2 in the first 4 rounds.

Haha, I can take a joke, thank you for giving me a break...you could have been harsher. Haha, I need to be more careful.

I have to say that I trust in Emery, more than I do trust myself, so will hope that what he does is best and not complain much. We have to give the guy a chance, and I have a feeling he and Trestmann are going to set the NFL on fire before it is all over.

That being said, the more I see of Pryor, the more I would like him. But Donald and Tuitt sound good too....will be interesting to see regardless. I wish it were tomorrow! I can't wait for the regular season.

Take care!

To answer the original question, yes I would love 2 guys upfront at DT with some youth and upside. The current veterans at the position have had either nagging injuries or major injuries. Besides the last time the team drafted 2 back to back they helped fuel a Super Bowl run with Tommie and Tank. The 2 younger players meshed with the veterans that were on the roster to form a solid rotation. The same scenario could present itself this year. The one problem is there is no Mike Brown type player at the safety position, who it just so happens was drafted in the second round. I say go Donald/ Jernigan 1 and Ward or Buchannon 2 then Johnson or Quarles RD3. I think there is going to be a run on defensive players early causing some decent offensive players to drop to the mid rounds where BPA is a must.

To answer the original question, yes I would love 2 guys upfront at DT with some youth and upside. The current veterans at the position have had either nagging injuries or major injuries. Besides the last time the team drafted 2 back to back they helped fuel a Super Bowl run with Tommie and Tank. The 2 younger players meshed with the veterans that were on the roster to form a solid rotation. The same scenario could present itself this year. The one problem is there is no Mike Brown type player at the safety position, who it just so happens was drafted in the second round. I say go Donald/ Jernigan 1 and Ward or Buchannon 2 then Johnson or Quarles RD3. I think there is going to be a run on defensive players early causing some decent offensive players to drop to the mid rounds where BPA is a must.

Yeah, I'd actually prefer a FS/DT/DT start since I think there is a lot more depth at DT than FS.

This would outstanding:

1. HHCD, FS, Alabama

2. Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame

3. Johnson, DT, LSU

Yeah, I'd actually prefer a FS/DT/DT start since I think there is a lot more depth at DT than FS.

This would outstanding:

1. HHCD, FS, Alabama

2. Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame

3. Johnson, DT, LSU

You and I have always liked the trenches first but your number 1 is the only guy I would like if we don't get Donald or Jernigan(sp?). If he is the first pick then Hageman or Tuitt seems ideal for pick 2. Lets reach back to the 80's when SF took a few rookie DBs, Lott,Wright and Williamson,started them all and won a SB in the same year. The Bears don't have inside what the 9ers had back then so a happy medium should be in order similar to what Emery did his first 2 offseason and I stress offseason because his FA additions and trades helped the offense. He traded for Marshall and traded up for Jeffrey. That worked.

Yeah, I'd actually prefer a FS/DT/DT start since I think there is a lot more depth at DT than FS. This would outstanding: 1. HHCD, FS, Alabama 2. Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame 3. Johnson, DT, LSU

plan a:

1-Donald DT

2-Tuitt DT

3-Terrence Brooks S

Plan b:

1-HHCD FS

2 Tuitt DT

3. A Johnson DT

This would outstanding:

1. HHCD, FS, Alabama

2. Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame

3. Johnson, DT, LSU

That would be a dream draft for me. Getting a top notch Safety and 2x DT's of that caliber in one draft would be awesome. I wouldn't even mind trading a 5th-7th to move up in the 2nd or 3rd to make that happen.

Truitt could be our first pick. I dont think with all the mocks out there you can really use that information for a basis of what will actually happen. The best at guessing gets maybe 8 right. The ones I think know what there doing get more of the top 32 players right and not necessarily to the right teams. He is rated high on many boards, but if we go DT in the first we will be addressing S and CB in the next couple of picks.

DT- We have Ratliff,Collins, Paea, Izzy will see time there and also Houston, so we wont be drafting two DTs high, maybe another one in the last few rounds, but were in descent shape this year. Ratliff is coming off and injure as well as Collins, but with Izzy and Houston we are not completely dry at the position.

It wouldnt be bad if we got two in the first two rounds, but there is enough depth there to add a body at NT in the 4th or higher rounds. We may not even address the DT position until the 3rd round. What I want is the best player available at a defensive position. OLB and DE are the only two we can get by with if we dont draft those positions. Do not discount MLB, if is a need position,as well as S,CB,DT. Those all could be addressed in the first four rounds, and then we will take the best prospects at any position. We need youth at all positions, so he could go anywhere with those picks.

I'm confused as to why so many of you are okay with our current DT's. Jay Ratliff will be 33. He sits out an entire year, plays in 5 games, and he's done for the season. Nate Collins is a nice back-up. Not a starter. In 3 seasons, all Paea has proven is that he's a nice back-up. Not a starter.

I can't argue that if there's a high level of talent it's possible we take two defensive tackles. But man we have a lot of needs.

Truitt could be our first pick. I dont think with all the mocks out there you can really use that information for a basis of what will actually happen. The best at guessing gets maybe 8 right. The ones I think know what there doing get more of the top 32 players right and not necessarily to the right teams. He is rated high on many boards, but if we go DT in the first we will be addressing S and CB in the next couple of picks.

DT- We have Ratliff,Collins, Paea, Izzy will see time there and also Houston, so we wont be drafting two DTs high, maybe another one in the last few rounds, but were in descent shape this year. Ratliff is coming off and injure as well as Collins, but with Izzy and Houston we are not completely dry at the position.

It wouldnt be bad if we got two in the first two rounds, but there is enough depth there to add a body at NT in the 4th or higher rounds. We may not even address the DT position until the 3rd round. What I want is the best player available at a defensive position. OLB and DE are the only two we can get by with if we dont draft those positions. Do not discount MLB, if is a need position,as well as S,CB,DT. Those all could be addressed in the first four rounds, and then we will take the best prospects at any position. We need youth at all positions, so he could go anywhere with those picks.

I'm confused as to why so many of you are okay with our current DT's. Jay Ratliff will be 33. He sits out an entire year, plays in 5 games, and he's done for the season. Nate Collins is a nice back-up. Not a starter. In 3 seasons, all Paea has proven is that he's a nice back-up. Not a starter.

I can't argue that if there's a high level of talent it's possible we take two defensive tackles. But man we have a lot of needs.

Its an area of need, but so are other positions. In one off season you cant completely rebuild a roster. Say Tillman gets hurt then what? Williams gets hurt again? We have so many needs you have to fill several spots, a DT in the first 3 rounds and later spot gives us two more bodies. That's the best we can hope for.