Draft needs or BPA

Wesson44

So looking at the draft do we draft for needs or for BPA? Looking at our roster below we have a few needs. I say we need DT,LB CB,,FS and a SS. We still have roster cuts and FA...but we cant get them all in the draft.. I say we get either Donald or Pryor/Gilbert in rd1, DT Jones or FS Bucannon in rd2.3rd rd Bullough LB

DE

Allen= starter

Houston=starter/DT

Young=2nd team

Izzy=2nd team/DT

Bass

Lane

Robertson

Scott

Washington

DT

Collins

Paea

Ratliff

LB

Bostic=fighting to be starter with McClellan

Briggs=starter

Franklin=cut

Greene=?????

McClellan=fighting to be starter with Bostic

Senn= special teams ace

D.J Williams=starter

Wilson=cut

CB

Frey= nickel....dont like

Hayden=nickel?????

Hurst=unproven

Jennings = starter

Martin=unproven

McManis=special teams ace

Purdy=unproven

Tillman= starter

Wilson=unproven

FS/SS

Cattouse*

Conte*

Jennings*

McCray*

Mundy*

Steltz*

* All these guys seems to me and 2nd teamers not starters

I'd go with need. At least at 14. There might be a better player than Donald/HHCD/Pryor that drops (say one of the OTs) but I'd still take one of those guys first.

As for SS and LB, I think we pass on both, but that's just my opinion. I think Mundy will be fine at SS and I think Bostic will do much better with talent in front of him.

So looking at the draft do we draft for needs or for BPA? Looking at our roster below we have a few needs. I say we need DT,LB CB,,FS and a SS. We still have roster cuts and FA...but we cant get them all in the draft.. I say we get either Donald or Pryor/Gilbert in rd1, DT Jones or FS Bucannon in rd2.3rd rd Bullough LB

DE

Allen= starter

Houston=starter/DT

Young=2nd team

Izzy=2nd team/DT

Bass

Lane

Robertson

Scott

Washington

DT

Collins

Paea

Ratliff

LB

Bostic=fighting to be starter with McClellan

Briggs=starter

Franklin=cut

Greene=?????

McClellan=fighting to be starter with Bostic

Senn= special teams ace

D.J Williams=starter

Wilson=cut

CB

Frey= nickel....dont like

Hayden=nickel?????

Hurst=unproven

Jennings = starter

Martin=unproven

McManis=special teams ace

Purdy=unproven

Tillman= starter

Wilson=unproven

FS/SS

Cattouse*

Conte*

Jennings*

McCray*

Mundy*

Steltz*

* All these guys seems to me and 2nd teamers not starters

. Our best 4 as it stands right now is LDE-Young, 3-T-Houston,NT-Ratliff-Allen-RDE

Even if we get a rookie in the mix, that will still be our best 4 players, so these 4 will see many snaps together.

Mundy will be our starting SS and will play well there.

Depth at all positions except DE is at suspect.

If Briggs has lingering should issues from last year, you might see Bostic starting at WLB, the position he is best suited for.

We need a DT rotational player,starting FS, a MLB backup or starter when Williams hits the gurney again, and a CB to groom for a starter role next year.

We still need a backup RB,QB, and TE. I suspect we could see draftees at all of those positions.

. Our best 4 as it stands right now is LDE-Young, 3-T-Houston,NT-Ratliff-Allen-RDE

Even if we get a rookie in the mix, that will still be our best 4 players, so these 4 will see many snaps together.

Mundy will be our starting SS and will play well there.

Depth at all positions except DE is at suspect.

If Briggs has lingering should issues from last year, you might see Bostic starting at WLB, the position he is best suited for.

We need a DT rotational player,starting FS, a MLB backup or starter when Williams hits the gurney again, and a CB to groom for a starter role next year.

We still need a backup RB,QB, and TE. I suspect we could see draftees at all of those positions.

I'm just not so sure about that bold statement. I'm not sure what to think of Ratliff at this point, he's gonna be 33 years old and has come off 2 straight injury plagued seasons. I'm not sure you want him being more than just a rotational player.

If Donald is there Allen-Houston-Donald-Young is wayyyy better....same could probably be said about a few other guys in the draft.

I'm just not so sure about that bold statement. I'm not sure what to think of Ratliff at this point, he's gonna be 33 years old and has come off 2 straight injury plagued seasons. I'm not sure you want him being more than just a rotational player.

If Donald is there Allen-Houston-Donald-Young is wayyyy better....same could probably be said about a few other guys in the draft.

Of course that would matter who we drafted, but I dont see any rookie being the starter full time, unless we have an injury.Ratliff will get the most reps but of course injury would change that. If we get lucky and get Donald, he will be rotational.If we go with a guy like Nix, I doubt if he would be in on passing. I like you, think Donald will be a very good player on pass rush but may be a liability on run downs. He hasnt taken a step in the NFL yet so we should see how all that plays out.

Of course that would matter who we drafted, but I dont see any rookie being the starter full time, unless we have an injury.Ratliff will get the most reps but of course injury would change that. If we get lucky and get Donald, he will be rotational.If we go with a guy like Nix, I doubt if he would be in on passing. I like you, think Donald will be a very good player on pass rush but may be a liability on run downs. He hasnt taken a step in the NFL yet so we should see how all that plays out.

Agreed that we are in great shape that we don't need an immediate starter. For example, how does Houston trade Matt Schaub without anybody in place that anybody believes can be a realistic starter? That leaves a glaring hole. For better or for worse, the Bears have starters at every position.

The two specific positions with openings are DT and safety. The way we introduced Ryan Mundy with Lamar Houston, I really think he's out starting SS. And I think we believe Conte can be good.

I look for us to draft a DT and he will start on opening day.

I could easily see a first round safety starting.

Absolutely. I think we go S in first round, but do not discount , if we trade back that could change. I think if he fell down in the first round, and Pryor and HaHa are gone, Mosely could be our surprise pick, and I wouldnt hate that.

BPA, within reason. However, Emery hasn't seemed to gone along with what most would consider BPA, although all the talk after the draft is "this guy was at the top of our board." I'm really hoping the near-disasterous 2012 draft has taught him maybe not to trust his scouts so much, or whoever convinced him to reach for all those guys.

The more I look at this draft the weirder it is because I feel like there's only three logical choices for the 1st round pick: Donald, Clinton-Dix, and Pryor (and for the record, I would be fine with any of the three). In fact, besides maybe Fuller and Nix, those are the only projeted first round picks I've seen the Bears linked to (http://walterfootball.com/draft2014meetingsteams.php). And yet, McClellin and Long were both big suprises the last two years, so I keep trying to figure out if there's someone who could surprise this year. Bucannon? Hageman?

Bottom line, I want to see us fill the holes in this roster with value picks. Because the sad truth is, Kyle Long is the only one of Emery's reaches to pan out, and his other good draft picks (Jeffery, Mills, Paea to an extent) were picked at or behind where they were expected to be picked, whereas guys like Hardin, Conte, and McClellin looked like reaches when they were drafted and don't look to be changing that opinion anytime soon.

BPA, within reason. However, Emery hasn't seemed to gone along with what most would consider BPA, although all the talk after the draft is "this guy was at the top of our board." I'm really hoping the near-disasterous 2012 draft has taught him maybe not to trust his scouts so much, or whoever convinced him to reach for all those guys.

The more I look at this draft the weirder it is because I feel like there's only three logical choices for the 1st round pick: Donald, Clinton-Dix, and Pryor (and for the record, I would be fine with any of the three). In fact, besides maybe Fuller and Nix, those are the only projeted first round picks I've seen the Bears linked to (http://walterfootball.com/draft2014meetingsteams.php). And yet, McClellin and Long were both big suprises the last two years, so I keep trying to figure out if there's someone who could surprise this year. Bucannon? Hageman?

Bottom line, I want to see us fill the holes in this roster with value picks. Because the sad truth is, Kyle Long is the only one of Emery's reaches to pan out, and his other good draft picks (Jeffery, Mills, Paea to an extent) were picked at or behind where they were expected to be picked, whereas guys like Hardin, Conte, and McClellin looked like reaches when they were drafted and don't look to be changing that opinion anytime soon.

I think the surprise picks could be Hageman, Truitt, and Mosely. Mosely will be an all pro type and he's not my first choice, but absolutely would be a good addition to the team.

I will point out that in 2012, most teams seemed to have disastrous drafts. There's a lot more bad than good.

Also, this is only Emery's 3rd draft. Paea and Conte were Angelo.

Although I'm with you. I just hope we draft a day one starter in the first round at either DT or safety.

Absolutely. I think we go S in first round, but do not discount , if we trade back that could change. I think if he fell down in the first round, and Pryor and HaHa are gone, Mosely could be our surprise pick, and I wouldnt hate that.

I think we are going DT but I'd be happy with a safety.

More importantly, HaHa and Pryor are two much different players. Pryor seems to be more of a strong while HaHa is a ceterfielder. Which one do we covet if both are available? It would seem that HaHa would replace Conte and Pryor would replace Mundy. I'm thinking we favor HaHa over Pryor.

I'm just speculating, we might covet HaHa, he could be long gone, and we don't want Pryor so we draft a DT.

That "near disastrous" draft was done with the previous scouting department setup. Emery was hired relatively late prior to the draft and so he went in with the existing system and scouts. On top of that Phil effectively said at the time he was giving Lovie everything he "needed" to be successful. It is impossible to know how that impacted decisions like SMC but I don't think we can eliminate Lovie's influence in that decision, or really that whole draft. That doesn't excuse Emery from mistakes either, he had the final word. I still believe he did enough to support Lovie so that when he talked with the owners and Ted Philips he could justify why he wanted to move on and hire a new head coach.

The 2013 draft is when Phil had his system and scouts in place. I don't think that was bad at all as he came away with two starters for an Oline that really needed help. We still have to see what we get with Wilson at WR but there are reasons to be optimistic. Bostic didn't play well last year but I think he'll develop into a good player for us. Greene may end up as a good backup LB for us but that's not all bad for 4th RD pick. Washington may or may not make the team this year.

At a minimum Emery has drafted two Pro Bowl players in back to back drafts. That's not all bad.

That "near disastrous" draft was done with the previous scouting department setup. Emery was hired relatively late prior to the draft and so he went in with the existing system and scouts. On top of that Phil effectively said at the time he was giving Lovie everything he "needed" to be successful. It is impossible to know how that impacted decisions like SMC but I don't think we can eliminate Lovie's influence in that decision, or really that whole draft. That doesn't excuse Emery from mistakes either, he had the final word. I still believe he did enough to support Lovie so that when he talked with the owners and Ted Philips he could justify why he wanted to move on and hire a new head coach.

The 2013 draft is when Phil had his system and scouts in place. I don't think that was bad at all as he came away with two starters for an Oline that really needed help. We still have to see what we get with Wilson at WR but there are reasons to be optimistic. Bostic didn't play well last year but I think he'll develop into a good player for us. Greene may end up as a good backup LB for us but that's not all bad for 4th RD pick. Washington may or may not make the team this year.

At a minimum Emery has drafted two Pro Bowl players in back to back drafts. That's not all bad.

I totally believe Lovie had a great influence in that first draft, all that you said were spot on. Good GMs dont hit on all of there draft choices and then it goes into developing those players. After three years we will be able to make a good judgement on Emery, the first year ,not good, although a stud WR in the second goes along way and bringing in Marshall should also be included in that draft.

Jason, earlier I said I had doubts about HHCD in the 1st Rd. I've since gone back and watched more highlights courtesy of Draft Breakdown where they put up a full game's worth of plays instead of just highlights. I've changed my opinion of Dix and feel he'd be a solid choice for us in Rd 1. I believe Dix was injured last season and the highlights or games I watched a month ago were after he returned to the field late in the season. I'm not sure on that but either way I watched him in a lot more games and he can play the entire field well from run coverage to pass coverage.

Given the choice I still prefer drafting Aaron Donald because I value pass rushers more than safeties. If Donald is off the board Dix is now my second choice for our 1st pick.